Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2007, 07:36 PM   #31
Registered Member

Okay, "Feast & Famine" it is!

Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:33 PM   #32
DRW
Registered Member

Ah darn. I was hoping you would choose 'GasMasters' so I could make juvenile fart jokes about your team! lol

Old 04-12-2007, 09:30 PM   #33
Registered Member

Crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW View Post
Ah darn. I was hoping you would choose 'GasMasters' so I could make juvenile fart jokes about your team! lol
I would've gotten away with it, if it wasn't for you snooping kids...
Old 04-12-2007, 09:39 PM   #34
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
I would've gotten away with it, if it wasn't for you snooping kids...
I thought GasMasters sounded kinda silly from the get-go. Made me think of septic tank workers with tacky outfits . Who-you-gonna-call? GAS-MASTERS! *insert music here*
Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 02:16 PM   #35
Registered Member

I may be getting a VX on monday or tuesday. If that happens, I would like to be on a "honda" team. I am guessing that it will probably only get 45MPG at first, and the lean burn won't work. But it does have only 112K...I am stoked.
GasSavers_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 04:34 PM   #36
Registered Member

James, if the Honda team is full up, we'll gladly have you with us. Have you heard anything yet from the Honda folks?

Team Slow Burn lost a star player (DRW) at the end of the first session.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:28 PM   #37
Registered Member

MetroMPG-
Sounds good, I will join slow burn. The Honda team hasn't materialized...
I am going down to get the VX (if everything checks out) on wednesday, since there is going to be another big snowstorm on monday. I am a little bit sad to give up the EOC and pulse and glide in the Camry...I guess the technique on the VX is to keep it steady to maintain Leanburn and warm O2 sensor temps.

How frequently do you have to fill up for the competition? I usually do longer trips and then try not to drive for 10 days or more sometimes.
-James
Old 04-14-2007, 06:57 PM   #38
Registered Member

Cool!

I suppose I should have asked what kind of driving you typically do. You want to be a highway or rural driver to wring the best out of a VX, not an urban driver.

One of the first mods I'd be looking at is the lean burn indicator - there are instructions for setting that up somewhere on this site.

Anyway. Only one fill up is actually required in each contest session, and it must be more than 3 gallons.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 10:46 PM   #39
DRW
Registered Member

Good luck, James! I'll be rooting for you! Even though I'm sidelined for now, team Slow Burn is still my favorite!
Old 04-15-2007, 04:57 AM   #40
Registered Member

Sounds good, I think I will use about three gallons getting it home, since it is in southern NH and i am in northern VT. I do mostly rural driving: speed limit 50. There are some pretty serious hills that once you get to know you can really take advantage of. there are virtually no stop lights and when i get on the interstate I dont go faster than 60...though sometimes as slow as 55. Northern VT is excellent for pulse and glide and long downhill coasts, especially in the summertime. I guess with the VX the best way to do it is the Engine on coast to keep the O2 sensor hot.
Yes I have to get a digital multimeter and hook up the lean burn indicator. It seems fairly simple to do. I think also keeping the VX running warm is important. I will try a partial grill block and watch the temp guage closely. Also will try to combine 10 trips into 1 to maximize the warmed up engine time. Right now I live 3 miles down a dirt road, and it is mud season, so i guess i am probably seeing about 10MPG on that section.
So the aim of the competition is the biggest improvement? Is that over previous tanks or over EPA?