Bad driving... - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2007, 11:07 PM   #11
Supporting Member

cylinder cut-out as in reducing engine speed by random injector cut-out. Its obviously operated by the ecm.

my favorite thread
88HF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 12:39 AM   #12
Team GasMisers5!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey4mnhs View Post
my friend and i went 140 in his mustang with way more room to go. We were on our way back from lunch to school and could not be late! I have some 90 plus runs on some of the tanks in my gaslog so you should be fine. Post it and tell us what it droped your tank to.
What would happen if the police caught you?

I only ask, because in the UK most motorways have overhead cameras every mile (or less!). On the A1, in some places you can see at least 3-4 cameras from any position on the motorway!. (edit - these aren't speed cameras, more 'big brother is watching you' camersa. Although if they see you speeding badly they will alert the traffic police who are all over the motorway in unmarked cars).

Also, our police drive about in unmarked cars, and will pull you if you do more than 80mph (the limit is 70mph).

Anything over 100mph is an almost guaranteed ban from driving for a year, 140 would be a jail sentence, and anything over 90mph is a guaranteed court appearance.

Also, if you are caught speeding (e.g. over 70mph, usually over 77mph), four times, in 2-3 years, you can also lose your license (you get 3 points per speeding offence, and 12 points = license revoked). 34mph in a 30 zone would also be a 3-points speeding offence, as would 45 in a 40 etc.

Is it less harsh in the States than in the UK?

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
landspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 06:07 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landspeed View Post

I only ask, because in the UK most motorways have overhead cameras every mile (or less!). On the A1, in some places you can see at least 3-4 cameras from any position on the motorway!. (edit - these aren't speed cameras, more 'big brother is watching you' camersa. Although if they see you speeding badly they will alert the traffic police who are all over the motorway in unmarked cars).

Also, our police drive about in unmarked cars, and will pull you if you do more than 80mph (the limit is 70mph).

Anything over 100mph is an almost guaranteed ban from driving for a year, 140 would be a jail sentence, and anything over 90mph is a guaranteed court appearance.

Also, if you are caught speeding (e.g. over 70mph, usually over 77mph), four times, in 2-3 years, you can also lose your license (you get 3 points per speeding offence, and 12 points = license revoked). 34mph in a 30 zone would also be a 3-points speeding offence, as would 45 in a 40 etc.

No we have point systems here in the states too. Problem is with states being funded individualy each decides how their funds are used, is up to them.
In Michigan were I live you don't see much of a police presence and camera tickets used in other states are not allowed here. You may see little trailers with speed sensors mounted on them, telling you what your speed is in comparison to what you should be doing. These are nice for checking your speedo, but no tickets are given with them. When I travel we have to be careful because of the differing laws in different states. It is very lax here in the states about tickets, lots of laws, but not to much enforcement in my area.

One time in 99 we traveled to Austria for work. I did not do any driving there, but we were on the roads alot. What amazed me was how fast and aggressive people drove in Graz, were we were staying. At that time gas here was still just under a dollar almost 4 times more there. It suprisied me at their cost they didn't drive slower! Now we are paying the same and it's made no change here either!

I have had to drive very fast at times too. The Geo has seen 90+ on I-94 rushing to the airport and it's is amazing it did not hurt the average MPG worse then it did. What was also suprising is I was still being PASSED at that speed! More amazing is that it would go that fast! At least it said it did.
minic6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 06:49 AM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to baddog671
Here in Maryland if you get caught doing over 100mph your going to be in deep shizz. There are no cameras on the highway but an occasional unmarked cop car patrolling around and sometimes a speedtrap. Its easy to spot the unmarked cars though.

We have cameras at intersections in city limits, but I think they are used more in recording accidents.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:23 AM   #15
Registered Member

thanks all! I dont need more tickets. Thats another reason I started hyper-miling...
Old 08-05-2007, 10:13 AM   #16
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landspeed View Post

We would have been late for one and the car would have been impounded and drive would have been in jail. The speed limit is 45 were we did it but there wasent any cops around because it was luch time and we were looking for them. the cop cars are not very fast eather if you have a 100mph over them and they are trying to catch you its over for them. If you say it isnt possible it is because we were cruzing at 150 in my friends Sti on a 4 lane highway when a cop on the side of the road started to chase us. all we did was keep the wheel strait and hammer the pedel got up to around 160 then got off at the next exit. We were lucky because the next exit was were his house was so we got to his house real quick and shut the garage door. i was so shook up that i almost threw up and i wasent even driveing!
Old 08-05-2007, 11:34 AM   #17
Supporting Member

The time I tested top speed I was chased by two cops, but they stopped at the parish(county) line. I don't think they could know for sure it was even me because they were probably two miles back in the dark when they decide to chase and I had slowed to the limit. But they'd definitely bring you to jail.

my favorite thread
88HF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 03:14 PM   #18
Registered Member

I had my 5.0L 87 camaro rolling, the spedo ended at 85, the needle went past the big empty spot at the bottom and kinda ran out of steam around the 20mph mark. I'm guessing 140mph?? I started to smell oil burning from the high rmps and the wind was pushing both side windows in from the pressure. had to try it at least once I was hammerin hard , I'm glad i didn't miss and hit my thumb.

ffvben is offline   Reply With Quote