Battle of the top guns - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-01-2006, 01:23 AM   #21
Registered Member

Basjoos,
Just wondering if you have the same problem that I do when filling the tank? For me, when empty, I am lucky to get 5 gallons in before the pump clicks off. Then I have to trickle the gas in for the next 5-6 gallons. I pulled the filler and vent tube out to make sure there are no clogs. No apparent problems.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 03:51 AM   #22
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
EVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toecutter
Given that I'm a college student with not much money, I can't make an accurate guess. Perhaps 6 months to 1 year?
Sounds pretty low energy usage - I get about 20 miles per KWH on my machine and the only thing that could make it better is larger wheels and better bearings . . . working on that right now with a 26inch MTB frame and 20 inch eGo wheels - low and long with hard tires... should be interesting.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 05:01 AM   #23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos
The next tank won't be as good. I'm sacrificing a tank to research to determine how much much of my improved mileage is due to the aero mods versis the contribution of my driving technique. So for this tank I am driving my usual back and forth to work, etc. at "normal" speeds (10mph over the speed limit or whatever most of the traffic is doing) and not doing any of the ICE shutdown and other tricks I normally use to improve mileage. So I am going at 70 to 80MPH on the interstate, shifting gears to maintain constant speed up the hills, using the full acceleration and RPM range of my ICE when convenient, and the other "normal" fuel-wasting techniques employed by the general motoring public. Before I started driving for mileage and modding my car I, was getting 51MPG inthe summer and 44MPG in the winter. I'll know in a few days how much the aero mods have improved this.
If you want to check the aero mods should not the driving techniques be the same as when they were on? And the difference in the tanks be your gain.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 04:22 PM   #24
Registered Member

Krousdb,
I have no problems with the fuel dispenser false tripping when filling my tank. On the converse, the fuel will sometimes foam a little out of the opening after the dispenser clicks off if I have it filling at the maximum flow rate. I normally fill at max flow until I can start to hear the fuel splashing down inside the opening, then drop to a slow fill rate until it clicks off.

zpiloto,
The two things that have changed on my car since I started are the aero mods and my driving technique. Since I don't want to remove the aero mods for this test, I will revert back to my original driving techniques, so any MPG improvement should be due to the aero mods. I have plenty of pre-aero mod test data where I was just using driving technique to improve my mileage. Go compare "KeepsonRollin' and "Aerocivic" in the non-hybrid real mileage database at greenhybrid.com to compare driving technique and driving technique+aero mods on the same vehicle.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:37 AM   #25
Registered Member

I see that one of Metro's tanks has dropped off and he has leapt into the 70's. Yay!

See you soon!

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:38 PM   #26
Registered Member

The king is dead! Long live the king!

After being perched, arguably unfairly, for months at the top of MPG Mountain while I slowly drained this tank of gas which I bought in November, the Blackfly has disappeared completely from the list. My previous tank has finally fallen off the 90-day calculations.

So, Basjoos: congrats on reclaiming the pinnacle. A look at your gaslog shows you deserve it. You've been consistently punching out mid-60's and low 70's tanks all winter (with the usual variation). Summer will be interesting to watch, for sure.

I could fill up any day (I've used about 3/4 of the tank), but I think I'll wait for prices to drop (we're facing a bit of a shortage this week due to a refinery fire in Ontario cutting production).

EDIT: FYI, my current tank is sitting around 61 mpg, according to the SG.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:40 PM   #27
*shrug*

And so I gain my highest spot ever, not having driven for two months! My car has even lapsed inspection...
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:45 PM   #28
Registered Member

You're welcome
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:16 PM   #29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
The king is dead! Long live the king!

After being perched, arguably unfairly, for months at the top of MPG Mountain while I slowly drained this tank of gas which I bought in November, the Blackfly has disappeared completely from the list. My previous tank has finally fallen off the 90-day calculations...
NOW I understand why you like the lifetime values well, you *could* shave ~30 lbs off (22.5lbs avg), AND stay on the 90 day list by installing a 5 gallon tank, or just take yours off and jump up and down on it till it only holds 5 gallons
Old 02-27-2007, 02:21 PM   #30
Team GasMisers5!

I'm no. 15 on the '% above EPA' list, with 5% more getting me to no. 10

It is going to be an uphill struggle to get onto the actual MPG list though!. If I implement my EV mod, and only use it as a true hybrid, rather than a plug-in hybrid, that might help

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
landspeed is offline   Reply With Quote