Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2007, 03:05 PM   #31
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
The king is dead! Long live the king!

After being perched, arguably unfairly, for months at the top of MPG Mountain while I slowly drained this tank of gas which I bought in November, the Blackfly has disappeared completely from the list. My previous tank has finally fallen off the 90-day calculations.

So, Basjoos: congrats on reclaiming the pinnacle. A look at your gaslog shows you deserve it. You've been consistently punching out mid-60's and low 70's tanks all winter (with the usual variation). Summer will be interesting to watch, for sure.

I could fill up any day (I've used about 3/4 of the tank), but I think I'll wait for prices to drop (we're facing a bit of a shortage this week due to a refinery fire in Ontario cutting production).

EDIT: FYI, my current tank is sitting around 61 mpg, according to the SG.
This is such a good example of whats possible with a car. You and Basjoos or like yin and yang. You can pick who's who. You all are complete opposites of each other. Speed, temperature, mileage per day the list goes on and on but both have turned incredible numbers with what you have to work with and the environment you live in.
I'm look forward to spring and summer when things will really start to heat up.
61 mpg when the high temp for the tank in -5C is pretty darn good.

Metro, I guess it's impossible to tell but since you take so long to go through a tank of gas have you every noticed if the numbers drop off towards the end of the tank because it gets stale? Have you every tried to add something to to the gas to revive it and see if it helps?

But Alas the King is dead All hail Basjoos

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:23 PM   #32

heh it is suprising that I am actually catching up to MetroMPG I just got a 60.1mpg tank

CoyoteX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:45 PM   #33
Registered Member

I don't find that surprising at all. You've put a lot of tinker time into that car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skewbe View Post
you *could* shave ~30 lbs off (22.5lbs avg), AND stay on the 90 day list by installing a 5 gallon tank, or just take yours off and jump up and down on it till it only holds 5 gallons
Actually, this summer I was thinking I'd drive with the tank mostly empty, most of the time, to save that weight. I'll do normal full fill-ups (to get the MPG calcs), then pump the gas out, and add it back in only as needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto View Post
I guess it's impossible to tell but since you take so long to go through a tank of gas have you every noticed if the numbers drop off towards the end of the tank because it gets stale? Have you every tried to add something to to the gas to revive it and see if it helps?
Never have. What's the shelf life of gas? Maybe I should be using Stabil or something. Perhaps there's degraded performance, but it's offset by the weight savings
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 06:14 PM   #34
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto View Post
I'm look forward to spring and summer when things will really start to heat up.
I can't hardly wait. One great thing about learning to hypermile in the dead of winter is that I get a wonderful FE surprise when the weather warms up, even slightly. I'm so ready to take my car for a cruise when it's a hot summer day (and I can finally put my regular 'all-season' tires back on).

Watch out top-10-list, Peakster's coming to play!
Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:02 AM   #35
Registered Member

Well, it gets more and more interesting... Bunger has returned home to roost with Little Blue

Hopefully he doesn't disappear from the forum for 90 days like last time he did this
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:06 AM   #36
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Well, it gets more and more interesting... Bunger has returned home to roost with Little Blue

Hopefully he doesn't disappear from the forum for 90 days like last time he did this
The name is appropriate. Talk about out of the blue. Pretty amazing.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:19 AM   #37
Registered Member

We're getting closer and closer to the 100 mpg mark. I predict this summer we'll have atleast one 100 mpg tank. Good job everyone!
Old 03-01-2007, 11:54 AM   #38
Registered Member

Getting a 100mpg tank should be no problem this summer, provided I confine my driving to daylight hours on dry, rural roads and finally buy a superMID from Yoshi so I can get some real-time feedback. Last summer I got a 91mpg tank in dry, rural road driving, and that was before I added the boattail, nosepiece, and second windshield (which I currently don't have on the car because Rain-X doesn't shed road salt very well).