Be careful with pumped up tires - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-08-2005, 03:05 PM   #1
Registered Member

Be careful with pumped up tires

Be careful guys that have pumped up tires. They are great for more mpg but they totally kill cornering ability. I didn't want to go over 37psi because of this reason. Yesterday I turned a corner at about 20-25mph and my car understeered a lot. I used to take corners like that 25mph and it would take it like it was driving on rails when I had 32psi in my tires. So whoever got their tires pumped up make sure you slow down more on corners.

Since I want to keep my turning ability I have 37 in the front and 35 in the rear. The rear is lower so my rear end won't slide out. And so far it hasn't.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 03:07 PM   #2
*shrug*

I'm at 45 all around now and

I'm at 45 all around now and just took a 90 degree turn at 35 mph and it was fun, I could go 40+, but that's pushing it so I'm not gonna try it around where I live. Depends on the car most of all.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 03:10 PM   #3
Registered Member

My car is 3000lbs so all

My car is 3000lbs so all that weight pushed it. I remember when I used to do 90 degree corners at 40+mph. That was when my tires were 32psi and the car did it like it was on rails, just the tires screeched like hell.

You got to give up something to gain something. I gave up some cornering for more mpg.

Old 12-09-2005, 05:17 AM   #4

Just be weary SVOboy - I

Just be weary SVOboy - I have spun out in TWO different Civics. The line between traction and no control is very fine in these seemingly nimble cars. Both times the transition from traction to none was instant - no warning scream from the tires or anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	127  
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 07:42 AM   #5
*shrug*

Yeah, that's why I don't

Yeah, that's why I don't plan on pushing it until I get somewhere where the car is meant to be pushed, such as a track or something like that. Can't be too careful with such stuff.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 06:01 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to n0rt0npr0
Re: Be careful with pumped up tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
Be careful guys that have pumped up tires. They are great for more mpg but they totally kill cornering ability. I didn't want to go over 37psi because of this reason. Yesterday I turned a corner at about 20-25mph and my car understeered a lot. I used to take corners like that 25mph and it would take it like it was driving on rails when I had 32psi in my tires. So whoever got their tires pumped up make sure you slow down more on corners.

Since I want to keep my turning ability I have 37 in the front and 35 in the rear. The rear is lower so my rear end won't slide out. And so far it hasn't.
Interesting Compaq888. I too have my front at 37psi due to strange handling characteristics(understeer and "skipping" instead of sliding). I've been testing this over the last two months and have found the difference in mileage, for me, past 37psi is not worth the handling/safety loss. My rear end is noticably smaller than yours, so I pump my rears up to 39psi. Testing has determined that these pressures are the absolute max for me.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:13 PM   #7
Registered Member

Re: Be careful with pumped up tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0rt0npr0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888

Interesting Compaq888. I too have my front at 37psi due to strange handling characteristics(understeer and "skipping" instead of sliding). I've been testing this over the last two months and have found the difference in mileage, for me, past 37psi is not worth the handling/safety loss. My rear end is noticably smaller than yours, so I pump my rears up to 39psi. Testing has determined that these pressures are the absolute max for me.
My car wasn't sliding because the rears have more control. It was skipping. Now when I made a u-turn and gunned it in my cousin's civic that was sliding.