Because it's an import! - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2009, 10:29 AM   #31
Site Team / Moderator

The same goes for my Buick... Many times people have wondered why I still have that car, and then after they ride in it they know why... It rides like an overstuffed couch.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:37 AM   #32
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
Nope. You don't always get what you pay for.
With plenty of cars, you're paying for an image and nothing else - and that's exactly what you get. Mind you, that doesn't include all (or even most) expensive cars or all cars that carry a specific image, but there are certainly plenty of examples where you don't get anything in addition to image.

A low-end Mercedes model that I test drove once, for example...I couldn't imagine why anyone would want to drive it, let alone why anyone would want to pay more for it. The only things I could find in it that someone might consider valuable were the name and the fact that it was a station wagon.

Older Cadillacs (including a 1993 that my mom had) actually delivered value for those not interested in image. I don't know about new ones, though the CTS puts out some decent numbers as a sports car (doubly so for the CTS-V). VWs probably do cost a lot for parts, but purchase price is competitive and I've found a dealer with great service; and bigger people fit in their small cars (which is why I chose it). My VW really delivers a lot of comfort and fun for a decent price.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:01 AM   #33
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
VWs probably do cost a lot for parts, but purchase price is competitive and I've found a dealer with great service; and bigger people fit in their small cars (which is why I chose it). My VW really delivers a lot of comfort and fun for a decent price.
That's what it's all about for me. My Mom's VW New Beetle was bar none the most unreliable car we ever owned, but the service dept. at our dealer was so accomodating that it actually became one of the most painless cars we've owned as well. That's also why I chose to buy my Harley at a dealer 160 miles away from where I live instead of the dealer here in town - I can actually talk to them!
'09 Harley Nightster - 48mpg and 1/4 miles in the 12's
jcp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:08 AM   #34
Site Team / Moderator

I think the problem with higher end, more expensive vehicles is that they have more gadgets and gizmos, which as the car ages break, and are expensive to fix. Stuff like air ride, computer controlled suspension, automatic air conditioning... The lower end vehicles don't have this stuff, and therefore it doesn't break...

Take for example, power locks. I've had to fix them in several of my vehicles as they aged, but my Buick which does not have power locks obviously doesn't have that problem. I also have had to have power windows fixed before, but again in my Buick, the most I've done is replace a broken window crank.

With GM cars Oldsmobile and Cadillac were the 2 lines that they usually experimented with new technology on, and therefore had the most expensive problems to fix. There's something to be said for not having the latest & greatest.

-Jay

Old 06-05-2009, 11:18 AM   #35
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
I think the problem with higher end, more expensive vehicles is that they have more gadgets and gizmos, which as the car ages break, and are expensive to fix. Stuff like air ride, computer controlled suspension, automatic air conditioning... The lower end vehicles don't have this stuff, and therefore it doesn't break...

Take for example, power locks. I've had to fix them in several of my vehicles as they aged, but my Buick which does not have power locks obviously doesn't have that problem. I also have had to have power windows fixed before, but again in my Buick, the most I've done is replace a broken window crank.

With GM cars Oldsmobile and Cadillac were the 2 lines that they usually experimented with new technology on, and therefore had the most expensive problems to fix. There's something to be said for not having the latest & greatest.

-Jay
Y'all are making all of my arguments for what I drive for me! One of the reasons my next DD is going to be a '60-'63 Falcon is because it has no fanciness!

Now, I heard somewhere that BMW 7-series cars have something on the order of 75 computers running the thing?! I can't imagine for what...but anyhow, along the lines of this post, I would love to see some figures down the road of the 7-series' upkeep costs.
'09 Harley Nightster - 48mpg and 1/4 miles in the 12's
jcp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:30 AM   #36
Site Team / Moderator

That BMW sounds expensive when it gets older. However, the average BMW buyer probably gets rid of the car before its 5 years old, so that is probably never a concern to them. Its the person who buys it as a used car that will have to deal with that.

The fancy stuff breaks. Its just that simple. My truck has the electronic pushbutton 4wd. I have had no problems with it, but my brother inlaw tells me that if you don't use it regularly that the 4wd won't work when you need it. For that reason I make it a point to engauge 4wd at least once a month.

-Jay

Old 06-05-2009, 12:11 PM   #37
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
my brother inlaw tells me that if you don't use it regularly that the 4wd won't work when you need it.
I'm pretty sure that's not just with electronically controlled transfer cases, but in fact is true of all 4wd systems.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:47 PM   #38
Site Team / Moderator

He says its like a power window motor that switches the transfer case. If not used regularly it will collect crap and bind up. I usually take it once a month in a heavy rain, and activate 4wd high on a straight stretch of road and drive for about 1/2 mile, just to keep everything moving freely.

-Jay

Old 06-05-2009, 01:16 PM   #39
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Quote:
He says its like a power window motor that switches the transfer case. If not used regularly it will collect crap and bind up.
Gotta love the manual t-case! I used my 4wd to get out of highway traffic(closed the freeway because of a 'suspicious package') off the freeway the other day cuz it had rained, first time I needed it in town.

That has to be an auto t-case only thing as I don't see how it is possible with a manual. Then again, I have to slam my shifter into 4 low(which I know the previous owner never used) for it to stay but I think it just needs a linkage adjustment. It reminds me of a friend of mine's 89 Sammy. His dad bought it and the previous owner said he never used the 4wd and I couldn't for the life of me get him to use the 4wd because his dad said it would probably go into it and never come out again.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:25 PM   #40
Site Team / Moderator

I am not a fan of manual transfer cases... My old squad had a 1989 Chevrolet ambulance built on a K3500 chassis. Getting that truck into 4wd was a chore. I could never do it without grinding gears. What I ended up doing was putting the truck in 4wd before I started the engine if there was snow or ice outside.

-Jay