Because it's an import! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2009, 08:55 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Because it's an import!

Question. Why is everyone so hung up on imports being better? Be it Asian, European, whatever. I'd prefer a car from the big 3 way before pretty much any import being offered today.

I was reading the new motor trend and it has the stats for a bunch of head to head comparisons. The one that spoke to me the most was the 2009 BMW M5 vs the 2009 Cadillac CTS-V.

Cadillac won, it's easy to see how too. It has a supercharged 6.2L 16 valve V8 making 556hp @ 6100 and 551ft/lbs @ 3800 while getting 14/19 MPG. Not bad! The BMW has a 5L V10 making 500hp @ 7750 and 383ft/lbs @ 6100 while getting 11/17. I'd take the CTS too. That has to be an amazingly awesome sedan to drive. Not to mention it's 30k cheaper than the beemer.

Other comparos:
2010 Chevrolet Camaro 3.6L 17/29 vs
2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8L 17/26
They said at higher speeds the Camaros extra 100 pounds started to show.

2009 Ford Fusion 2.5L 23/34 vs
2009 Honda Accord 2.4L 21/30
Their acceleration numbers are really close with the Fusion only lagging behind in the quarter mile by .1 seconds but .4mph faster.

2009 Ford F150 5.4L 14/18 vs
2009 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 13/17

It should be noted that Motortrend most often prefers the imports.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:01 AM   #2
Registered Member

I always assumed that a lot of that attitude is a legacy of previously bad American cars. I have no idea what the current overall state is. How is globalization effecting the domestic/import definition split anyway? The Chevy Aveo is what I'm thinking of.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:20 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I suspect that the Daewoo-built Aveo is a piece of junk that does a disservice to GM's overall reliability statistics. I am not confident that Daewoo has stepped up their game to match Hyundai, American companies, and Japanese companies.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:24 AM   #4
Registered Member

my personal opinion is the branding that honda and toyota have made for themselves and the good mileage to power ratio of most of their cars.

the corolla is an awesome example. rated at 130+ hp and still gets 35+ mpg on the highway along with room for the whole family.

honda has the civic as well. don't know the exact stats for that.

there is a guy here at work that has a 2008 corolla S which has ground effects but more importantly 5 speed manual. he rags on me because I have tried so hard to get my 38 mpg best and his last tank was 43 with virtually no effort at all. you aren't going to get that from a domestic other than maybe a hybrid. his corolla was also 17K brand new which beats the crap out of all the hybrids pricewise too.

I do like domestic, don't get me wrong but it seems like in the small car market, they are lacking. if you have ever driven an aveo, you know what I mean.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:29 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I suspect that the Daewoo-built Aveo is a piece of junk that does a disservice to GM's overall reliability statistics.
Based on the research I did on it, I'm inclined to agree. Ironic that they seem to have sold so many of them! But does it count as an import (built overseas) or a domestic (marketed and backed by GM)? I guess since most consumers will just remember that it was made by Chevy, that it counts as a domestic.

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 06-03-2009, 09:31 AM   #6
Registered Member

they make hondas and toyotas in the states.

I can't remember right off hand where their factories are but they make them in the good old red wite and blue.

....but they are still imports???

Old 06-03-2009, 09:37 AM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Last I read the 4runner and rav4 were still made in Japan. That's why the rav4 still has a rear gate that opens the wrong way! But most of their vehicles are made here in America... Assembled here anyways. I guess my main question is why everyone is still hung up on them being the best. It's not like their mileage is the best, their performance is usually at least matched by a domestic in the same platform and it's not like they are uber cheap in comparison.

As for the Corolla mileage. I'm betting he's yanking your chain:
http://www.gassavers.org/garage/viewgaslog/1304?
http://www.gassavers.org/garage/viewgaslog/1310?
http://www.gassavers.org/garage/viewgaslog/2399?
Old 06-03-2009, 09:38 AM   #8
Registered Member

I guess what it boils down to in the end is the continuity of design, manufacture, and support that a company provides from model to model. That's all the maker's label boils down to ultimately. So, in that spirit, how much continuity is there in practice?

co de pen den cy

Old 06-03-2009, 09:48 AM   #9
Registered Member

dk,

if he is yanking me it is unintentional. he is going by the onboard mileage computer. I would assume that is pretty accurate. in his defense, his drive is about 95% highway

he is actually a pretty good friend of mine though he thinks what I do is a bit out there. but then I get to pick on his jeeping hobby. that has cost him a pretty penny in a lift kit and a welder (he ususally uses that to fix everyone elses though).

*edit* here are some real world numbers

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG....rue&details=on

he did admit that last year he barely broke 40

Old 06-03-2009, 10:09 AM   #10
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilian View Post
Based on the research I did on it, I'm inclined to agree. Ironic that they seem to have sold so many of them! But does it count as an import (built overseas) or a domestic (marketed and backed by GM)? I guess since most consumers will just remember that it was made by Chevy, that it counts as a domestic.
I consider it an import...

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote