Because it's an import! - Page 6 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-06-2009, 08:52 PM   #51
Site Team / Moderator

I have the 8 way power seats with power lumbar adjustment in my truck, and I love it. Its the most comfortable truck I've ever owned. However, since I'm the only driver it doesn't get adjusted much.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:56 PM   #52
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamesama980 View Post
I work at a shop fixing cars and I'd rather fix (and own) jap cars all day long than deal with domestics. Imports are designed better on average. half the domestics are designed by monkeys. chrysler/dodge are usually designed by monkeys on drugs.

there's also the issue of my size. I'm 6-4 230 lbs and I've never had trouble fitting in the smallest of imports after adjusting seats. some of them have small blind spots but overall not bad. I don't fit for sh*t in domestic small cars and some mid-size no matter how much adjustment there is. then there's the blind spots that could hide a semi... I almost got in an accident at work the other day test driving a car in the parking lot because there was a car behind the enormous A-pillar in a newish saturn.

euro imports.... very nice cars. it, off an assembly line, will run longer than the hand-built chevy (caddy CTS-V). the seats are nicer, and there will be fewer electrical bugs to be fixed. domestics have brought up quality enormously in the last 5-10 years but they still just aren't the same. Euro cars (unless designed to be worked on by stupid american mechanics like about 1/2 of VW line) you need a degree to figure out WTF is going on and a week and $10k in tools to fix anything....should you ever have to.

I'm a mechanic, and I agree totally. Newer domestics are way better than they were just 10 years ago. Most 80s and early 90s domestics are crap. With Toyotas it seems they peaked in the 80s. I see old Camrys and Corollas and pickups come in from very neglectfull owners. I mean they're driving around with almost no oil or coolant and the engines still run great. Newer Toyotas don't seem to tolerate abuse as well. Honda peaked in the late 80s, early 90s. I own a 1991 civic hatch, 1992 Civic hatch, and a 1992 Accord coupe. When I compare to domestic cars from the same years I can't believe how much worse the domestics are. The gap has definitely narrowed though.

GasSavers_Crazy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:03 PM   #53
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
I have the 8 way power seats with power lumbar adjustment in my truck, and I love it. Its the most comfortable truck I've ever owned. However, since I'm the only driver it doesn't get adjusted much.
Something similar with me.

I am the only driver in my car as well and the seats are four way electric adjustable but they have not been adjusted since about the third day of ownership when I found the best for me seating position.

Manual seat are not available on that model , only electric along with power windows , mirrors and so on.

Some marketing wizard decided the "convenience pack" and the "safety pack" should be linked so to get one you pay for and get both...like it or not.

Pete.
GasSavers_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:44 PM   #54
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy88 View Post
I'm a mechanic, and I agree totally. Newer domestics are way better than they were just 10 years ago. Most 80s and early 90s domestics are crap. With Toyotas it seems they peaked in the 80s. I see old Camrys and Corollas and pickups come in from very neglectfull owners. I mean they're driving around with almost no oil or coolant and the engines still run great. Newer Toyotas don't seem to tolerate abuse as well. Honda peaked in the late 80s, early 90s. I own a 1991 civic hatch, 1992 Civic hatch, and a 1992 Accord coupe. When I compare to domestic cars from the same years I can't believe how much worse the domestics are. The gap has definitely narrowed though.
Agreed 100%. Some of the best Nissans ever built.

95-98 Maxima, earlier ones were great also but had timing belts.

91-94 Sentra

The Z cars in the mid seventies were also some of the best, after 79 they went techno and went downhill from there.

When they started making them in the US the quality gap closed and US made cars got much better.

Our 99 Maxima was just about perfect, made in Japan.
The Murano was also made in Japan, and the wifes new Rogue was made in Japan.

The 93-97 Altima had one nasty problem, the seal between the block and front cover would leak, and that sucker was a nightmare to replace.

regards
gary
Old 06-07-2009, 07:56 PM   #55
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Something similar with me.

I am the only driver in my car as well and the seats are four way electric adjustable but they have not been adjusted since about the third day of ownership when I found the best for me seating position.

Manual seat are not available on that model , only electric along with power windows , mirrors and so on.

Some marketing wizard decided the "convenience pack" and the "safety pack" should be linked so to get one you pay for and get both...like it or not.

Pete.
LOL, I thought the "Convenience pack" was the only way you could order Air Conditioning...

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:21 PM   #56
Registered Member

When I look at a car, I look less at where it was made and more at when it was made, if it has a carburetor, what parts are available, and for how much. Then I go from there. On that measure, classic American cars far outpace imported ones.

'09 Harley Nightster - 48mpg and 1/4 miles in the 12's
jcp123 is offline   Reply With Quote