belly pan teaser pic - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-12-2006, 09:43 AM   #11
Registered Member

Yes , on some cars that I have seen where theres lots of plastic-work on the back it acts like a huge air scoop.

It just cant be good for air flow.

onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:41 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo
MAN I am definately going to get under mine this winter when I get into the garage and so some belly pan work. Mostly in the rear where the rear lowers are hanging and the fenders are wide open to all sorts of weird air flow. I may even do a hidden front grill block that can be remotely opened and closed by cable. One problem I found out about last winter is that as you make the gas mileage go up the amount of heat available for the cabin goes down.
Hmm, I've noticed a bit differnt than this, my nearly air tight radiator inlet(*) makes the car warm up a little faster, Than again this has never been a problem for me, it's the difference between heat after one mile, and turning down the heat after a mile of driving haha. (V-8's make a lotta warmness)

(*)-2 1.4 in. diamter circles between the headlights are the only openings infront of the radiator, I can't understand how it doesn't over heat? unless it's sucking air from behind the radiator through it, and than being sucked back by the fan? passing through the radiator twice?

Old 11-12-2006, 11:08 AM   #13
Supporting Member

More things I've noticed about the belly pan. The engine stays warmer longer when sitting in parking lots. The engine stays closer to actual advertised thermostat opening temps. It makes my HAI more efficient than previously noticed. The engine sounds much more refined than before with doors or windows open.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 02:06 PM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Yeah I ran my heater while parked last winter and watched the engine temp drop to 160 from 182. I also have noticed that the hood is insulated but the gap on the edges lets the heat out and the right fender also gets warm after I shut it down. A couple of weather strips under the hood should really seal it up nicely and prevent some of the dirt from getting in on the engine. I didn't mean that a grill block would reduce the heat - I mean making the engine more efficient makes i tburn less gas and take longer to heat up.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 07:12 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemysan
More things I've noticed about the belly pan. The engine stays warmer longer when sitting in parking lots. The engine stays closer to actual advertised thermostat opening temps. It makes my HAI more efficient than previously noticed. The engine sounds much more refined than before with doors or windows open.
How much quieter would you say it is now? An extremely noticeable difference to no-pan?
nonnef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 05:48 PM   #16
Supporting Member

lovemysan -

Thanks for the pix. I really like the overall fit and finish. The accidental close-up of the front grill block is also an added perk.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 06:33 PM   #17
Supporting Member

That grill block was my second attempt at cutting coroplast. Man that stuff is annoying.

I would say that there is no difference in engine noise on the interior of the car. When the windows are down, door open, or walking around the car. You no longer hear valve train noise and the general sohc saturn rattles. I'm not sure if I'll finish the pan or not. I'm working on the side skirts tonight see the other thread for those pics

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-14-2006, 10:59 AM   #18
Registered Member

Good to see a good use of backup jacks in case the blocks fail.

I had a car fall off a jack onto me once - not fun at all.

onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:05 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemysan
The engine sounds much more refined than before with doors or windows open.
I've noticed this too. I rarely start my engine "cold", and when I have to (no EBH outlet), I hate the way it sounds & feels while it warms up. A warm engine is a happy engine.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:18 PM   #20
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
I've noticed this too. I rarely start my engine "cold", and when I have to (no EBH outlet), I hate the way it sounds & feels while it warms up. A warm engine is a happy engine.
Makes you think about changing the oil doesn't it. I just close my ears and think "its just a noisy engine there made that way"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]