Best Fuel Efficeint Cars at High Speeds ? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #1
Registered Member

Best Fuel Efficeint Cars at High Speeds ?

So I got a new job. It's 30 miles away each way for 60 miles a day. For most of those miles I'm going 70 mph and just barely keeping up with traffic. I'll be in the market for a new or slightly used 4 door sedan with sufficient rear leg room (I'm 6' and will 2 car seats in the back) under $32,000.

I've been looking at a 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid, but not sure it's worth it if I'm averaging 70 mph. Would I be better off with a non-hybird that can get comperable mileage at 70 mph?

Any educated suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks...

naz t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
Site Team / Moderator

Hybrid models do have extra goodies that standard models don't have that can get better mileage... CVT transmissions, Atkinson cycle engines, etc. How any specific hybrid behaves at 70 depends a lot on which model it is. On my Escape hybrid, there's a huge difference in mileage between going 65 MPH and 70 MPH. Looking at the EPA ratings, I'd say go with the Fusion hybrid. It only gets 1 highway MPG less than the 4cyl manual 6 speed. Overall, you will probably get better mileage in the hybrid.

I would also suggest you look at the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid. It is rated a little higher for highway MPG than the Fusion is, and I've heard good things from the Sonata Hybrid owners.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:02 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Get a car with as small a frontal area as possible with a small engine as that is going to be the most significant factors in giving the best mileage. The regular sonata gets real world about 37 mpg at 70mph if the tires are pumped up according to a friend who has one. The hybrid gets even higher mileage and I don't know how it can. After that is the Veloster at a lower price and curb weight around 2400+ lbs that gets in the low 40's if you are careful. Girlfriend maybe looking at one to buy tomorrow, presidents day - oops today it's after midnight!
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote