Best Fuel Efficient Car from GM? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-15-2008, 04:25 PM   #21
Registered Member

101mpg, what kind of tires are you running on your Maxx? I don't know if you know this, but the factory Bridgestone was originally 1 lb lighter than any other tire I'm aware of that size, probably another way GM raised the MPG on it. Also explains the poor drivability of the tire.

I've also tried the neutral thing, throwing it into neutral as I coast to a stop, but every now and then heard a clunking noise so I stopped that.

cruiserdarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:46 AM   #22

Okay - note to all on the Lucas: WIFE'S vehicle and our agreement is that our own vehicles are our own, we do what we want. Had to talk her into Lucas as it was all Jiffy-lube type oil changes. I think I have fixed that now with oil changes around here about $30 and I can put Amsoil in it for that. Hopefully Amsoil from here on out - no need to worry about Lucas or any other need for additive. Let's face it - Wal-mart oil changes SUCK. Not my first choice. I'm going for the Amsoil as I've always had fantastic results with it. A little Seafoam in the tank never hurts either.

Still the factory tires on it. It's a 2004 and about 30K miles on it. Bought it with only 11K miles in 2007 - I know, it's basically brand new.

WRT neutral: The Maxx has this WEIRD thing where it is not actually out of gear in neutral. Tried this on several different test drive vehicles. Get it up to freeway speeds then coast to a stop. At about 5 MPH it "kicks into gear" and kicks out of it - the weirdest thing I've ever heard! It is truly odd, and maybe someone else can shed light on why this particular vehicle (should be the same on the Malibu 2004-07?) does this?

Neutral at freeway speeds should be fine though

Old 03-17-2008, 10:41 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
I'd recommend the Pontiac Vibe over the Aveo as well. It'll have more space, better reliability and similar FE (33 vs 34 on 08 EPA hwy.) It's the equivalent of the Toyota Matrix. If my car got totaled, I'd probably be looking for one myself.
Pontiac actually bought the design from Toyota I believe, as the Matrix was in production long before the Vibe, but they are virtually the same car.
WRXGuy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:20 AM   #24
Registered Member

101mpg has it right, Your right foot makes more difference to mileage then most believe. I don't drive over 65 mph on the highway since I found that time vs mpg optimum is between 60-65 mph.

Dump the Lucas oil additive and just run a good synthetic. If you want to use an oil additive look into Lube Control LC20. It is an antiOxidant and lets you extend your oil change intervals. Basically beefs up your oils additive package.

Lucas's fuel treatment is a very good gas additive that works very well at maximising your fuel mileage.

I'm not thrilled with the over use of fuel system cleaners such as Gumout. Two of the best OTC cleaners are Redline SL1 and Techtron.
I feel BG44k has been reformulated and isn't as good as it use to be.
If over used these cleaners can do more harm then good. If used try to keep it to at most once every six months.

Lube Control does most of their business with fleets. Less than 5% of their sales are to the general public. Internet only sales.

Love thread since I have been eye-ing the Malibu as my next vehicle.
GasSavers_ALS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:35 PM   #25

ALS - go test drive a Malibu Maxx. It's got a longer wheelbase than the Malibu and is actually 1/2" SHORTER. It gets better mileage than the Malibu! MUCH bigger cargo space and way better layout. The seats are better in the rear, too. The Maxx is one of those cars that will be great in years to come.

The two drawbacks: If the stereo breaks, the car may not run. Cannot change stereo, but it has a good one. Other drawback - electric-only steering, not electric power assist. They changed it for the 2007 model, may get a retrofit for my wife's before it breaks and crashes the vehicle. Will have to give up 1/2 MPG but WORTH it.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:30 PM   #26
Registered Member

121k on my Maxx and no steering issues at all. I actually like the electric steering. The Maxx when I bought it in 2004 was rated 2mpg LESS than the same drivetrain Malibu. I have had a 4cyl loaner malibu and under the same driving conditions it didn't get any better than my Maxx on MGP
Old 03-22-2008, 03:42 PM   #27
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprapsu View Post
What is the best fuel efficient car currently offered by GM??
tho it's no longer made, does a chevy prizm(toyota drivetrain) count?
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 04:14 PM   #28
Registered Member

My Maxx is for sale. It's in immaculate condition, all maintenance done, new 7yr Delco professional battery and 80k American Platinum tires. It has a NTZ bypass filter installed on the engine and tranny, always run redline since break in. Asking $8k. email: thetoyotaman@juno.com
Old 03-22-2008, 10:27 PM   #29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101mpg View Post
ALS - go test drive a Malibu Maxx. It's got a longer wheelbase than the Malibu and is actually 1/2" SHORTER. It gets better mileage than the Malibu! MUCH bigger cargo space and way better layout. The seats are better in the rear, too. The Maxx is one of those cars that will be great in years to come.

The two drawbacks: If the stereo breaks, the car may not run. Cannot change stereo, but it has a good one. Other drawback - electric-only steering, not electric power assist. They changed it for the 2007 model, may get a retrofit for my wife's before it breaks and crashes the vehicle. Will have to give up 1/2 MPG but WORTH it.
There are two different assist systems available in the Malibu, electric and beginning in 2006, hydraulic. Electric assist uses a manual steering rack with an electric motor mounted on the upper steering column providing assist. There is still a mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the front wheels.

http://home.comcast.net/~spazzer/1640789.htm

This link has more information on how the electric assist system operates, it is a saved page from the GM Service Information website.
spazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:56 PM   #30
Registered Member

I've got an 07 Chevy HHR and I'm getting 32 MPG highway out of it without any mods (going 70-75 mph)... i'd say that's pretty good.

goman114 is offline   Reply With Quote