Best mpg/cheapest pickup truck? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2008, 06:03 PM   #1
Registered Member

Best mpg/cheapest pickup truck?

Hey all, I'm thinking of letting go of my 94 Ford Ranger 3.0L Auto pickup.

What would be a cheap, more fuel efficient replacement? I was thinking something '90's. Toyota? Mazda? Maybe even another Ranger, but in 4cyl, manual trim? I love the Ranger. It's never let me down... I'll only use the truck for close by and Home Depot like runs.

Thanks.

, Bill

neverendz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 06:11 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
This thread explored that question pretty thoroughly:
http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=8291

Old 11-09-2008, 06:44 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hi,
If you only need a truck for occasional load carrying, I would suggest you consider getting a utility trailer. I left the pickup truck world behind in 1990 when I bought my 5'x8' 1 ton utility trailer kit four use with landscaping business and vacation home-building project. You do need an adwquate tow vahicle which for me is my wife's midsize SUV ( Lexus RX350) or my '86 Jag
XJ6. The tow vehicle's mileage takes a hit but it sure beats paying for registration, insurance, maintenance, etc. for another automobile. Or you could just borrow a friend's truck.
Good luck, Vic
low&slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:51 AM   #4
Registered Member

Hello,

i have owned 2 (91 & 95) Ford Rangers, both with the 4cyl and 5speed. They were both darn good trucks, with gas mileage in the mid 20's with normal driving.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:55 AM   #5
Registered Member

Hi,
If you only need a truck for occasional load carrying, I would suggest you consider getting a utility trailer. I left the pickup truck world behind in 1990 when I bought my 5'x8' 1 ton utility trailer kit for use with my landscaping business and vacation home-building project. You do need an adquate tow vehicle which for me is my wife's midsize SUV ( Lexus RX350) or my '86 Jag
XJ6. The tow vehicle's mileage takes a hit but it sure beats paying for registration, insurance, maintenance, etc. for another automobile. Or you could just borrow a friend's truck.
Good luck, Vic
low&slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:52 AM   #6
Site Team / Moderator

I thought the Mazda trucks were rebadged Rangers. It may be a way to get a Ranger cheaper?

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 01:09 PM   #7
Registered Member

Vic,

Very good point! Getting a trailer may be a possibilty. I never even thought of it! I just picked up a 92 Civic VX, which is great but the double insurance is not cool. Does anyone tow a trailer with a Civic? I would only use it for short distances and light loads...

Thanks for the advice!

, Bill
neverendz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 01:23 PM   #8
Registered Member

I tow a lightweight 4x6 trailer with my 87 Civic hatch 5 speed (HF trans). It handles OK with loads less than 500 lbs (like a riding lawnmower)- when you get up to 1000 lbs, handling is pretty poor.

When its empty, I can hardly tell the trailer is behind me.
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 01:37 PM   #9
Registered Member

i dunno i have a 95 s-10 (newer ones get better mileage) 4 cyl 5 speed and it got 32 on the way down to college, generally gets 27-29 mixed.

i do have some mods done to it but thier very basic, efan (biggest improvement)pullies (slightly smaller and aluminum crank pulley) ebay intake and blocked off the EGR valve (thing was broke/plugged and not spending $80 for a new useless part).

ive loaded the bed with 1000 lbs of gravel before and up to the top with topsoil, still drove ok and got the job done.

that and s-10's are everywhere and are reliable. parts are plentaful and cheap, comes in many different combinations (reg cab. ext cab. quad cab. shortbed longbed, feetside, flareside, 2wd, 4wd, non locking differential, locking differential. either a 2.2L 4 banger or a 4.3 V6)

the 98+ get better mileage because that year they had a head/intake change that improved mpg. 2000 and up can run E85 if thats any intrest.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:24 AM   #10
Registered Member

jay,

you're right about the rangers and mazda B series trucks. I think most of that is due to branding.

my dad would never NEVER have a ford. he thought they were the biggest pieces of crap in the world. he did however have a mazda B-2300 which was just like my brother-in-law's ranger. only his ranger had the 3 liter V6 instead.

they actually had similar recalls on them too for interior lighting issues.

the matrix and the vibe are the same way. I guess so people could buy american made (even thogh there are toyota manufacturers in the US).

branding of cars can play a big part in the vehicles people buy. like I said, my dad would never have a ford and my brother-in-law would never be without one. he still has the ranger and an F-250 diesel (he works construction)

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote