Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2007, 12:30 PM   #31
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq View Post
Dang. It must be a common problem if they're doing recalls like that! I suppose a rering is way cheaper than en entirely new engine... From the horse's mouth, anyone owning anything out of warranty is up isht creek, so I think the recall is more about the bottom line than about customer service. Otoh, it'd be great if it wasn't, but I haven't heard anything to that effect.
Off topic... but... It wasn't a re-ring job, it was a complete engine replacement (which is why it took so long to go from initial recall letter to the "come in for replacement" letter). They pulled the engine, put the accessories from the old engine on the new one - dropped in the new engine. The labor cost for a tear down and rebuild were probably higher than this pull swap and drop o.0

I just looked at the official recall remedies....
Quote:
DEALERS WILL REPROGRAM THE ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULE (ECM OR ENGINE COMPUTER). YOUR VEHICLE WILL ALSO BE INSPECTED TO DETERMINE IF IT HAS BEEN CONSUMING ENGINE OIL AT A HIGHER THAN NORMAL RATE. IN A SMALL PERCENTAGE OF VEHICLES, ENGINE REPLACEMENT WILL BE NEEDED.
If you know someone that isn't getting recall service... Kudos to them for getting out of the 100K mile warranty in less than a year - they must have a sore butt But seriously, I'd fight it - initial notices went out June of Last year. So unless they drove 100,000 miles in less than 6 months, they can take the angle that the time Nissan took to come up with a solution put them over. A phone call to Nissan America, while at the dealer, will do wonders And visibly CC'ing eMail to the dealer and the BBB typically gets things done faster

Quote:
I know every1 here is all for hypermileage and that is great...but...giving misleading info is not a good road to travel. AWD or Full-Time 4WD is better in snow and slippery conditions hands down...it is just the nature of the beast.
This sort of argument comes up all the time in Engineering design.... "Better" isn't really better when you don't use a property. Steel is "better" than aluminum in terms of tensile strength... But that's no good if you never surpass the yield strength of Aluminum - not using a property just ends up costing you more in some other category

Quote:
yeah- that's why the ditches are full of suvs and pickups after the first snow LOL
Heh, not just snow - I watched a truck overpower himself in very wet conditions - go almost completely sideways and somehow corrected himself just before plowing into someone in another lane

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 01:13 PM   #32
Registered Member

Looks like a little case of "tunnel vision" for a few...choosing what others are more comfortable with is not the same as steel vs aluminum. Ignoring that AWD is better for traction than 2WD is refusing to believe the obvious. Ignoring the fact that some may need the extra room on a regular basis is projecting one's own requirements onto others. I don't care what anyone drives as long as it is sensible for thier own needs and requirements. More power to them.

As if small FE cars don't get invloved in wrecks...cause havoc on the road...don't get stuck in a ditch...can't fit a purchase in the trunk...get stuck in slushy snow...stuff that can happen on a daily basis. Nothing wrong with being a bit "overbuilt" sometimes.

2002 Air Box Mod...Air Tabs (5) on Roof...(3)each behind rear windows
Partial Grill Block with Custom Air Scoop and 3" Open Catback Exhaust
Lambretta UNO150cc 4 Stroke Scooter

DarbyWalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 01:22 PM   #33
*shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarbyWalters View Post
Looks like a little case of "tunnel vision" for a few...choosing what others are more comfortable with is not the same as steel vs aluminum. Ignoring that AWD is better for traction than 2WD is refusing to believe the obvious. Ignoring the fact that some may need the extra room on a regular basis is projecting one's own requirements onto others. I don't care what anyone drives as long as it is sensible for thier own needs and requirements. More power to them.

As if small FE cars don't get invloved in wrecks...cause havoc on the road...don't get stuck in a ditch...can't fit a purchase in the trunk...get stuck in slushy snow...stuff that can happen on a daily basis. Nothing wrong with being a bit "overbuilt" sometimes.
I agree with you that 4wd is better than 2wd, but you could say the same thing about tunnelvision in your case. Mehbe you just want to justify your own car so you're posting like that,

I'm just teasing, of course, but I do agree with treb. I don't think 4wd is necessary in philly by any means, and with the sound of the use, it seems like the times driven/hauling are flexible, which is the biggest thing I think for staying out of snow trouble.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 01:29 PM   #34
Registered Member

I have never had the need to "justify" my purchase of an SUV. My point was that this thread started out about someone thinking about purchasing an AWD SUV...some seem to automatically assume that nobody needs that type of vehicle nor should they buy one. Then others automatically infer that every "accident" or "stuck in a ditch" is going to be the same...an SUV with/without AWD. I would rather see people get all the pertinent information they are looking for to make an intelligent choice based on thier own parameters...that is all. I can admit that for the most part High FE vehicles are the smart choice...probably 90% of the time...but for the other 10% I would rather give good information that helps them make a better choice.

Oh, and it is not a car, it is a JEEP...lol...jk

Old 11-01-2007, 01:34 PM   #35
*shrug*

When I was a kid they still called them GPs...
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 01:54 PM   #36
Registered Member

I agree about the VW statement SVOboy, I have a 68 baja and it is the best snow vehical I have owned, now it doesn't come close to my dads 4X4 F-350, but out does the focus by a long shot; even more so if I put chains on the back, but that makes for a real rough ride!
lancek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:24 PM   #37
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
. Ignoring that AWD is better for traction than 2WD is refusing to believe the obvious.
Re-read my post rather than attack with "tunnel vision" I never said it wasn't better for traction.... But again, it's not "better" unless you use it. Steel vs. Aluminum Is driving a large truck to avoid a perhaps yearly $30 delivery charge "better"? Sure, a truck will carry more than a smart - but is it "better" if you're only carrying cargo a couple times per year? "Better" is a function of actual need as opposed to a function of physical property.

If we were to say that winter tires have better traction and are therefore better and should be used year round.... that wouldn't make much sense :/

Quote:
My point was that this thread started out about someone thinking about purchasing an AWD SUV
The OP hasn't mentioned AWD

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:47 PM   #38
Registered Member

Quote:
...I would rather see people get all the pertinent information they are looking for to make an intelligent choice based on thier own parameters...
We are all part of a much larger picture, ignoring that fact is counter to intelligence.

Here in the land of the SUV we represent 5% of the worlds population and emit %25 of greenhouse gasses, just wait till china catches up with us. What example are we setting?
Old 11-01-2007, 03:10 PM   #39
Registered Member

Cant wait till this guy and several billion of his buddies get SUV sized Egos

Old 11-01-2007, 03:24 PM   #40
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
Re-read my post rather than attack with "tunnel vision"
Was not an attack, just seemed like some were immediately discounting any value in a SUV.

Quote:
I never said it wasn't better for traction.... But again, it's not "better" unless you use it. Steel vs. Aluminum
The vehicle is useless unless you turn the key...what is your point? He stated in the first post that a SUV Auto w/ 4x4 and 23 combined was something he was looking at...and you did try to imply that all the vehicles in the ditches were AWD/4x4 SUVs and Trucks.

Quote:
Is driving a large truck to avoid a perhaps yearly $30 delivery charge "better"? Sure, a truck will carry more than a smart - but is it "better" if you're only carrying cargo a couple times per year? "Better" is a function of actual need as opposed to a function of physical property.
He stated that the need to haul some stuff was weekly...not a couple times a year. If you have to make three trips in a Smart or one in a SUV, which is "better"? Saving time, less time on the road, ect.

Quote:
If we were to say that winter tires have better traction and are therefore better and should be used year round.... that wouldn't make much sense :/
Who said leave the "snow tires on all year"? It was a comment about a FWD with snow tires could go a long way. What doesn't make sense? Your assumptions.

Quote:
The OP hasn't mentioned AWD
You might want to read the last line or so of the first post. He states that a SUV with an Auto 4x4 and 23 mpg combined would be good.