Best mpg suv? - Page 9 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-06-2016, 11:06 PM   #81
Registered Member

I know this thread is way past it now, but I quite like the new F-pace, for an SUV it's not bad looking. The 3.0 diesel does 0-60 in 5.7 seconds and is rated at between 42 and 58 UK MPG (expect 35-45 real world) The slower 2.0 litre diesel is even more efficient with a highway figure of 74 MPG! (again, you would probably get 45-55 real world)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	399_Jaguar-C-X17-Crossover-Concept.jpg
Views:	1656
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	2182  

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:08 AM   #82
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

I'm still trying to decide if that's a real person, or a link dropping spammer. I may eventually delete the post and ban the user. I haven't decided yet. I have a short day at work today. I may research their IP's, and if I don't like where they trace back to, I'll ban them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfruth View Post
Isn't the Tundra a pickup not a SUV (guess you could put a cap on it) I like the Buick Encore in part cause it has a small 1.4 liter turbo and has a auto start / stop feature which shuts down the motor when you stop (read more MPG in the city) 2017 Buick Encore Preview | J.D. Power Cars

Jay2TheRescue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:16 AM   #83
LDB
Registered Member

I read these things and think there must be some conspiracy to make us spend a lot more on fuel and then I remember I have to re-think to US mpg which makes it somewhat more in line with the various vehicles we get over here. I'm not into conspiracy theory but don't absolutely dismiss it 100% and when it comes to cars/fuel/oil/etc. I think a small amount is possible. It still would be a definite improvement on anything we have though. And it is quite good looking. The Jaguar just above.

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:24 AM   #84
Registered Member

And how much will the F-pace cost...?! I Guess the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV probably stacks up as the most fuel efficient SUV, just for around £40,000....
Old 06-07-2016, 04:33 AM   #85
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfruth View Post
Isn't the Tundra a pickup not a SUV (guess you could put a cap on it) I like the Buick Encore in part cause it has a small 1.4 liter turbo and has a auto start / stop feature which shuts down the motor when you stop (read more MPG in the city) 2017 Buick Encore Preview | J.D. Power Cars
The Encore is also available as the Chevy Trax for a little less.

The F-Pace is a nice looking SUV; saw one last week. Far from cheap though.
North America should be getting the Outlander PHEV end of this year.
The new Rav4 hybrid is doing well sales wise.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:32 AM   #86
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
I read these things and think there must be some conspiracy to make us spend a lot more on fuel and then I remember I have to re-think to US mpg which makes it somewhat more in line with the various vehicles we get over here. I'm not into conspiracy theory but don't absolutely dismiss it 100% and when it comes to cars/fuel/oil/etc. I think a small amount is possible. It still would be a definite improvement on anything we have though. And it is quite good looking. The Jaguar just above.
There's no conspiracy really, different fuel, different emission targets and different fuel and carbon taxes. The US has pretty cheap fuel, but they consume the same amount of gasoline as EVERY other country on the planet combined, in other words, they use the same amount of gas as about 7,000,000,000 people! Yikes!

Over here, C02 targets directly translates to burning less fuel in the auto industry, hence why cars are constantly improving fuel efficiency levels. And don't forget, until the "real world" fuel figures are published, Europe still rates its cars using the famously flawed NEDC test cycle which is open to manipulation and uses very slow average speeds when testing cars. The industry average works out 16% less efficient than the published figures, but that can be as high as 30% etc.

And then the fuel is very different in the US too, more sulphur which creates sludge, less additives and lubricants which is why a car here that can do 20,000 - 30,000 miles between oil changes, might "need" an oil change every 5,000 - 10,000 in the US (or so the Oil companies tell you right?)

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:47 PM   #87
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

Well, the verdict is in. Lion77789's email address had hits on a spam database, and their IP traced back to a server farm in Eastern Europe, so I canned him.

Jay2TheRescue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:48 PM   #88
Registered Member

Dad has a 2015 CR-V EX-L and according to fueleconomy.gov, it's rated at 26 city, 33 highway with a 428 mile range. I actually drove to fill it up one day and on the way back using only suburban roads with some intersections I squeezed out 36 MPG (43 MPG UK) with just careful driving and timing signal lights.

For you guys outside the US and Canada, we get the 185 hp 2.4l direct injection engine paired to a CVT.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:52 AM   #89
Registered Member

I would be interested in what that CR-V gets on highway. What speed.

I do similar as you've done in my daily driving. Mileage estimates in the US are conservative with Toyota. Imagine Honda also?
I am thinking that my mileage is closer in line with E10 fuel. Even though they are higher. I'm above considerably with E0.

I don't know what my highway mileage is yet. Haven't taken a trip anywhere.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:51 AM   #90
Registered Member

^He gets around 30-33 MPG during weeks when its mostly highway with a little bit of suburban roads (cruising speed around 80-90 mph when highway is free flowing). For weeks with only city and suburban roads, it can range from 23-28. The rated city MPG, as with many cars I believe it's a bit optimistic.

Looking back a previous page, I find it hilarious that in this instance the latest US/Canada CR-V is matching, if not, exceeding the 2007 diesel CR-V in Europe.

Regarding the discussion about European market cars getting better mileage, it's true to an extent (although it's not as big as most think). You can compare directly on fuelly's main page with European models, to see the ACTUAL difference in real world driving using the same units to measure fuel economy, not just inflated test figures. When you factor out the different testing cycles, the actual difference is probably due to different emission standards, with diesels in the US/Canada having to be as clean as petrol (having the same NOx emission limits regardless of fuel) while diesels in Europe (although I think this has changed with Euro6) get more lenience in their emissions. As such, diesels in US/Canada require more emissions equipment that robs some fuel economy and power for the sake of cleaner emissions (which is why VW cheated in NA, to satisfy their customers). Also, I've heard of European cars running higher compression ratios due to the availability of fuel with lower sulfur content. A prime example of this is when BMW switched to a higher compression direct injection motor (N53) in Europe for the 2007 model year 330i, while leaving US, Canada, Australia (and possibly Asian markets) counterparts with the older port injected version (N52) due to their fuel having higher sulfur content.