Best mpg suv? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-30-2007, 12:39 PM   #1
Registered Member

Best mpg suv?

a friend of mines is looking to get a suv, but want it to be as efficient as possible.

hes looking at the

02 - 06 honda crv
2006+ toyota rav4
maybe a 03+ matrix or a vibe, but prefers a suv more

is there any other small 4 banger suv's that get very good mpg? i think with the crv and the rav4 he could manage to get at least 23 mpg combined with a auto and 4x4

civic94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:49 PM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
a friend of mines is looking to get a suv, but want it to be as efficient as possible.

hes looking at the

02 - 06 honda crv
2006+ toyota rav4
maybe a 03+ matrix or a vibe, but prefers a suv more

is there any other small 4 banger suv's that get very good mpg? i think with the crv and the rav4 he could manage to get at least 23 mpg combined with a auto and 4x4
If he is in Canada, their is the NISSAN X-trail (from 2005 to 2007) and the newest model, the Nissan Rogue. Good thing about this suv is that you have 3 on command mode (2RW, AWD, or a complete 4x4 mode (under 32mph)). Thats in the Integral version, but their is a 2RW model also, is Front Wheel Drive btw. And the engine is the same as the Sentra SE-R, a 4 cylinder 2.5L with 165 hp (170 rogue) and 170lbs torque (175 rogue). I did tried it in winter and it as good awd ability, and when you lock the 4x4, its doing really good in snow (deep). Its kind of a XTerra but with a 4 cylinder.

The new Rogue is only offered with a CVT transmission, so its a good thing for FE.

http://nissan.ca/en/vehicles/rogue/index.html

GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:52 PM   #3
*shrug*

I'd go for the crv if I had the choice, but the rav4 is a good car.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:53 PM   #4
Registered Member

o, an iff ya wunt u prefrins, go wi da tru impoort. cann u sae
toyoytu maetricks?
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:53 PM   #5
Junior Mint

I need AWD in the winter, so I opted for a Subaru Outback. Its a roomy wagon with OK gas mileage [26 hwy, 22 mixed] and a Consumer Reports favorite for safety. In hind sight I could have gone with the smaller Forester. I think the Outback has better utility than most SUVs, since you can actually reach the roof racks and loading and unloading the roof is a breeze. Not so easy with my girlfriend's Trailblazer. My VX is my daily driver, but in the winter the AWD is great around here. The city does NOT plow my road and there is no way the VX is making out it in 6-8 inches of snow. If your buddy is just looking for a high vantage point that most SUVs offer the Outback isn't a great choice, but it does feel a whole lot taller than the VX!
Old 10-30-2007, 01:00 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIBI View Post
And the engine is the same as the Sentra SE-R, a 4 cylinder 2.5L with 165 hp (170 rogue) and 170lbs torque (175 rogue).
I've heard bad things about that QR.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:01 PM   #7
Registered Member

well my friend kinda needs it cause his dad has a resturant, so every once in a week or so he needs to get **** loads of stuff. also this is in philly, sometimes it snows
civic94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:09 PM   #8
Registered Member

I get more than 30mpg easily in my Mazda5. Has the same if not more room than a CRV or Rav4, and certainly more versatility with the seating arrangement. If he can get keep his ego in check and look past the minivan'ish sliding doors (you have no idea how nice these are!), it's a versatile fun-to-drive car. Haven't regretted my decision for a minute. Just my completely biased $.02

Oh, and no offense but there's really no reason you need 4x4 for snow in Philly. We're further west where we get more snow than Philly (rain), and I don't remember the last time I couldn't get somewhere in a FWD. If you get ice which is common, you're SOL either way
Old 10-30-2007, 01:14 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
well my friend kinda needs it cause his dad has a resturant, so every once in a week or so he needs to get **** loads of stuff. also this is in philly, sometimes it snows
A fwd station wagon w/ snow tires will do just fine in the city. Maybe a couple blocks over the front wheels if there's really heavy stuff in back.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:23 PM   #10
Registered Member

Yah, city snow is not an excuse to buy an suv for a daily driver. It snows in other countrys besides america and they are not overrun with SUVs.

The best mpg approach would be a small stickshift car (wagon/hatchback) with a trailer for those days you need to haul a bunch.