Best Spark Plugs for Ford Focus - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-19-2008, 07:01 AM   #1
Registered Member

Best Spark Plugs for Ford Focus

I have a 2005 Ford Focus with a 2.0l duratec engine. What would be the best sparkplug for the sake of FE. The plugs are due for a change.

windyridge89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:06 AM   #2
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by windyridge89 View Post
I have a 2005 Ford Focus with a 2.0l duratec engine. What would be the best sparkplug for the sake of FE. The plugs are due for a change.
Doesn't the focus have 100,000 mile platinum plugs installed from the factory? I'm thinking if you need plugs this soon there is something else wrong with the car.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:54 AM   #3
Registered Member

Most if not all cars now come with platinum plug in them and they will usually last 100,000 miles or more, but I have had a couple go bad shortly after putting in new ones, just faulty plugs I guess. I always use platinum plugs simply because they don't have to be changed as often and they don't cost much more than regular copper core plugs. Most of the time I use Bosch, but I have used AC and Autolite too and can't say as there is much if any difference. Whatever you use be sure to put anti seize on the threads to keep them from seizing up in the aluminum and stripping the threads out. I used to not use it until I stripped the threads out of one of the holes a few years ago. It is money well spent.
#47 on my way to #1
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:02 AM   #4
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Man View Post
Most if not all cars now come with platinum plug in them and they will usually last 100,000 miles or more, but I have had a couple go bad shortly after putting in new ones, just faulty plugs I guess. I always use platinum plugs simply because they don't have to be changed as often and they don't cost much more than regular copper core plugs. Most of the time I use Bosch, but I have used AC and Autolite too and can't say as there is much if any difference. Whatever you use be sure to put anti seize on the threads to keep them from seizing up in the aluminum and stripping the threads out. I used to not use it until I stripped the threads out of one of the holes a few years ago. It is money well spent.
I'd stick with OEM plugs. I always use the AC Delco Platinum plugs. I even run the AC Delco 100,000 mile platinum plugs in my 81 Buick and my 86 C-10, even though they were not originally installed new. You can't go wrong with OEM ignition parts. As a side note I'd like to mention that I only buy distributor caps and plug wires at the dealer as well.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:53 AM   #5
Registered Member

Thank you guys. My focus has over 110k I think its time to change them out to keep everything running smoothly. Just wondering if there was a plug out there that gave a little increase in fe over others. i guess i will stick with oem
windyridge89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:35 PM   #6
Supporting Member

windyridge89 -

It's hard to tell you what will be right for your car because I don't have the same make, . If I were you I would find a "Ford Focus" owners forum. I use www.saturnfans.com for drivetrain-specific questions, and come back here to tweak for MPG.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote