Better Mileage in a Range - Page 7 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2007, 01:30 PM   #61
Supporting Member

Welcome to gs. You picked that car so its your choice if you can afford it. But if you want to get better mileage in it i would just slow down a little bit and have the air bags on the lowest setting when on the highay. Also if yo get the computer working on instant mpg that will help alot in how well you can do. Nice car and welcome nate.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:31 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable bob View Post
WOW! A $90 G vehicle? You are OVER compensating! And here's one for ya; I don't think you will get much more noise than one hand clapping around here because you are [maybe?] driving a 90 g vehicle. I happen to own 2 of the baddest muscle cars ever, but you don't see me puffing my chest up or dropping $$$$ numbers on this MPG board. Maybe you should head over to www.pompousazz.com to get a rise for a vehicle that is prolly 1. Daddy's. or 2
Only exists in yer 'lil mind.
But please forgive me, as I have to run! My chauffeur James just pulled up in the Maybach, and we have to go to the store to pick up some Grey Poupon. Can't eat a caviar sammich without it, you know!
Toodles!
My dad has a full size rover among others, so sorry to dash your theory. I'm sorry you own such bad muscle cars, but please don't try to act as if you have the slightest clue about me. I was looking for some sort of scanner or S/C mod, and you're the person who said anything about "compensation" so please spare me the bull****. Your user name fits you quite well.

pushycruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:33 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey4mnhs View Post
Welcome to gs. You picked that car so its your choice if you can afford it. But if you want to get better mileage in it i would just slow down a little bit and have the air bags on the lowest setting when on the highay. Also if yo get the computer working on instant mpg that will help alot in how well you can do. Nice car and welcome nate.
That guy up there doesn't believe me, but the best part is he thinks I care. Did you like how it rode tonight?
Old 09-20-2007, 05:36 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwxr7 View Post
the best supercharger mod to get better fuel economy is to remove the belt that spins it. My xr7 SC is driven by it's own belt so this is fairly easy and people have done this to save gas. If it shares the same belt as the rest of the accessories that may be much harder. But my xr7 has a bypass valve so it only uses 1/2 hp under normal cruise conditions, maybe yours is similar, so if you keep your foot out of boost it may be almost as good as removing the belt for mpg. Under full boost mine consumes around 60 hp from the crank in stock form, so it becomes a gas hog under boost .

Also good advice is to get a scangauge unless your ride already has an instant mpg display.
No disrespect, but why would I have spent the extra money on a S/C edition if I were gonna remove the belt
Old 09-20-2007, 05:37 PM   #65
*shrug*

What kind of mod were you planning to the s/c then?
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:47 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by landspeed View Post
How to get better mileage on a Range Rover.

(1) Get a Scangauge, and use it to see how your driving habits effect the MPG
(2) Read, on here, the effects of automatic transmission, locking torque convertors, aero drag, and hard acceleration (engine enrichment)
(3) Get a wideband lambda sensor e.g. VEMS, which lets you see whether the engine is enriching the mixture or not
(4) fit an undertray - get someone to custom-build it for you, if you have the money to buy the car in the first place. It will not be noticeable but will give better aero etc!
What's this scangauge? I'm assuming it will show me instantaneous...etc? Also, it's not going to look rediculous in my car right...?

In response to some people below me, I think I'm gonna try the braking. Common sense says the less you have to push the gas pedal the better MPG you'll get so I'll see how it does next time I fill up!

As for the few of you who have remained civil thank you, and I apologize if I became defensive quickly. I understand the majority of you probably scringe at the thought of less than 20mpg, but acting like people who drive cars without the sole intention of getting great gas mileage are the anti-christ will definately not get anybody anywhere. So sorry if I offended anybody, but I was genuinely looking for some tips.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:53 PM   #67
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Some things I do, as indicated by my signature, to get better gas mileage.

Don't stop for stop signs. Coming to a complete stop wastes gas.
Don't stop for pedestrians. Unless you will hit them, don't slow down or stop, it's okay if you give them a little scare. Instead, let your foot off the accelerator and wait until the absolute last minute before hitting the brakes. Many times they will hurry across the crosswalk when they see you are not slowing. Most of the time you can get away with not braking.

One common trait of drivers is to either be on the gas or on the brakes. It's a control thing. You want to be in control of your car, so you should either be pressing the gas or pressing the brakes, right? If you think you might need to slow down because someone came onto the road suddenly or something--or there is construction ahead... the very first thing you do is take your foot off the gas and assess the situation before you just instinctively hit the brakes. 8 times out of 10 you don't need to hit the brakes, or certainly not as hard as you did. Pay attention to how deceptive it is that you need to brake for a car that has pulled out in front of you. I scare my passengers all the time when I don't brake. I get closer and closer and closer to that car that pulled out in front of me-- but he is accelerating and I am slowing (by coasting) --the brain doesn't really calculate both of these factors properly...and thinks it will hit the car. But if you practice (it does take some nerves) you will begin to see you are braking a lot more than you need to. When slowing down... slow down only as much as you need to. If this means getting right up on someone's bumper, so be it. Get good at detecting how fast cars are accelerating after they have pulled out in front of you and respond accordingly. Remember, you are doing everything in your power to avoid slowing down while driving, especially below 20-25mph.

When taking turns onto other streets... practice taking the best line. If there are no cars coming the other way, cut across the oncoming lane while turning so you don't have to slow down as much. This is a bit more challenging in your car I realize.

When you come up on a sharp turn in the road, only slow down as much as you absolutely have to in order to make the turn. Just make sure not to flip your SUV.

Get in the habit of sticking to the posted speed limit except when hitting the brakes is required to do so.. In this case just coast and pay extra close attention for cops and merging traffic. The other exception to this rule is to drive 7mph over the speed limit when it is 20 or 25mph. Your SUV is not very efficient at low speeds.

Get good at predicting how fast people will accelerate when they pull out in front of the car before you. When you see this happen, just take your foot off the brake and wait and see how the traffic responds.

Learn your traffic light patterns. Coast up to traffic lights. Learn how to use town as pulse and glide territory. It won't always work in your favor, but sometimes the way traffic moves can work in your favor. Pay attention to everything that goes on in front of you five hundred feet ahead on secondary roads, 200-300 feet in town.

Disclaimer. Do not hold me responsible for any accidents you get into or any people you kill as a result of employing any of these methods. Everyone has a different comfort zone and natural knack for wreckless driving for FE. Always wear your seatbelt and drive responsibly.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:08 PM   #68
Registered Member

Yeah, that's why I put the little disclaimer at the bottom of my post.
Sometimes I keep left when turning left onto the street that has the little island with the sign on it that says "keep right" -- it's so much more efficient to just go in the left lane. There is a good line of sight and the traffic there is slow.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:35 PM   #69
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
Just the other week a gal 'took the best line' turning... and took out a husband and wife on a motorcycle waiting to make a left turn IN THEIR LEFT TURN LANE.

Dented up a nice Tempo, dang it.
I dunno... I pay attention when I drive. Especially when am I doing things other people and drivers have no reason to anticipate. I find that most drivers are reactionary drivers. Kneejerk reaction to stuff that goes on around them. Few people seem to really look at everything going on around them so as to anticipate what other cars are doing and so they can better have a chance of being one step ahead of their stupidity when they should make an error of judgment or attention. If you are driving with an anticipatory attitude, I think it is much safer. It's sort of analogous to defensive driving, except it's not really being defensive per se. Being too defensive has its problems too. People yielding when they should be going can also cause an accident. Hesitation. Admittedly I am not a very good driver (but better than the average driver, which isn't saying much). But I pay attention. I think that is more than half the battle.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:57 PM   #70
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to unstable bob
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by derangedrover View Post
My dad has a full size rover among others, so sorry to dash your theory. I'm sorry you own such bad muscle cars, but please don't try to act as if you have the slightest clue about me. I was looking for some sort of scanner or S/C mod, and you're the person who said anything about "compensation" so please spare me the bull****. Your user name fits you quite well.
Yep, after countless sessions of shock therepy, drugs, and counciling, I can't shake being "unstable." AND IT FEELS SOOOOO GOOD!
Anywho, you started this whole shebang: QUOTE: As for the few of you who have remained civil thank you, and I apologize if I became defensive quickly
Welcome to the jungle...
But outa the goodness of my heart I'll post a link to scangauge:
http://scangauge.com/
QUOTE:What's this scangauge? I'm assuming it will show me instantaneous...etc? Also, it's not going to look rediculous in my car right...?

Yeah, it's gonna look ridiculous in your car...it ONLY costs 160 bux, and all us commoners are using it, so it's prolly not worth your time. Especially since a lot of us workin' fo'k had to go to a JOB to make the MONEY to pay for that Scangauge that looks rediculous in our sub 90k vehicles. Keep up the pompousness chief, you're def winning the unwashed masses over!

www.unstablebobgable.com

1973 AMC AMX: The beauty
1987 Buick T-Type: The beast
2004 Cavalier: The MPG machine
unstable bob is offline   Reply With Quote