Better Mileage in a Range - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-19-2007, 04:43 PM   #31
Registered Member

sorry, I'm with the range rover dude who wants his comfort, his navigagtion and he also wants the best mileage he can get

in life there are trades, there are prices...some of us value confort more then others, some of us want performance more then others, some of us want convenience more then others

I have navigation on my car and it saves gas so I have no clue what you guys are on about saying he should turn this off

I have soundproofing and it keeps me from going crazy and getting into an accident...so I don't know what you guys are on about

I have a 260 horsepower engine on a tiny car and it goes really really fast

when I want it to

but most of the time I want a comfortable ride and I want to get the best fe possible in my comfortable ride

so this guy has a rover...there are things on the rover that are not on the hummer and visa versa and MAYBE someone on the board here allready discovered some things they can do with a rover that they CANNOT do with a hummer

for instance, he has a super charger...does the hummer?...I don't know, I never looked into hummers but I don't think so..super charged engines have compeletely differant issues then na engines

so the hummer thread might help but there might be other information the experts have that ddn't even get mentioned on the hummer thread
'
maybe

but according you you guys he shouldn't even ask

gots to say, I am disapointed in the attitude on this thread

perris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:08 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable bob View Post
And I take it you don't just work on rockets, you fly them, too?
Actually, I think you are the dumb dumb, since you need a wanna be Hummer to sport some kinda image. There are cheaper ways to compensate than driving a pimp mobile if you need help in that dept:

http://www.alibaba.com/catalog/11021...nt_System.html

And BTW, if you take some of the hot air outa your head and install it in your tires, you will be using one of the proven methods of increasing MPGs
A wanna be Hummer? Haha. What do you think the Hummers are trying to compete with...

Oh and real nice! I have a 90 thousand dollar car so OBVIOUSLY I am compensating for something. Idiot.

pushycruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:08 PM   #33
Registered Member

The ex-Buick engine isn't missed here...

Hey... the OP has a listed age of 17 and some of his responses...

That said, as for the vehicle itself it's too bad there are all the horsepower wars. Mercedes tends to be at the forefront of these.

If I were loaded and used to the best, I'd seriously consider one of these - but with the TDV8 that they sell in the UK. This vehicle is for a very select and elite demographic group that have the capacity to make a multiple of tons of CO compared to the normal Joe or Joann.

With a diesel, it's a pretty thrifty vehicle for someone to drive that could just as easily be in a Ferrari that's even less green. I'm gonna go check the mileage on it after this post. The Range Rover is an estate car that was attractive enough to be sold to people who would never ever want to see their vehicle do 1/10th off road what it is capable of. Only an H1 can go where a Range Rover can go, and then again if it's tight, the Hummer's out. Nope, the Range Rover is a Rolls Royce ultimate estate car the best SUVs and CUVs have strived to be.

The Range Rover just ends up being marketed against Lexus and Mercedes SUVs over here. Nobody spits at Rolls-Royce's or Maybachs here, well the number of Range Rovers on the road are next to none and if someone could afford a Range Rover (which actually lower their ride level at highway speeds for better aero, which none of this resourceful but often resource limited crowd here has ever done with their best attempts to top a individually-planet-saving Prius owner) then they could afford any exotic gas sucking car on the road and it's not bad. It's just that Lexus and Mercedes SUV buyers want as much horsepower as the super speed pickup truck set gets. SRT10? Come on folks, this vehicle is for rich people to take out into the country and go places off raod.

Just give me the diesel version and not too pimped that mud isn't occasionally a welcome guest!!! Oh yeah and the disposable capital to afford. I'll then not get that mean looking Rolls Royce or flying buttress butted five nine nine and I'll also make up for it by spacious sailing boats instead of offshore racing boats... okay? LOL

Nope... I'd love a diesel Range Rover! ;-)
Old 09-19-2007, 06:17 PM   #34
Registered Member

"270 horsepower, and a gargantuan 472 lb-ft of torque"

And I'd get better mileage with a TDV8 than I get now! Knowing my luck, it sucks for legroom! L
Old 09-19-2007, 06:19 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TonJellyBean View Post
The ex-Buick engine isn't missed here...

Hey... the OP has a listed age of 17 and some of his responses...

That said, as for the vehicle itself it's too bad there are all the horsepower wars. Mercedes tends to be at the forefront of these.

If I were loaded and used to the best, I'd seriously consider one of these - but with the TDV8 that they sell in the UK. This vehicle is for a very select and elite demographic group that have the capacity to make a multiple of tons of CO compared to the normal Joe or Joann.

With a diesel, it's a pretty thrifty vehicle for someone to drive that could just as easily be in a Ferrari that's even less green. I'm gonna go check the mileage on it after this post. The Range Rover is an estate car that was attractive enough to be sold to people who would never ever want to see their vehicle do 1/10th off road what it is capable of. Only an H1 can go where a Range Rover can go, and then again if it's tight, the Hummer's out. Nope, the Range Rover is a Rolls Royce ultimate estate car the best SUVs and CUVs have strived to be.

The Range Rover just ends up being marketed against Lexus and Mercedes SUVs over here. Nobody spits at Rolls-Royce's or Maybachs here, well the number of Range Rovers on the road are next to none and if someone could afford a Range Rover (which actually lower their ride level at highway speeds for better aero, which none of this resourceful but often resource limited crowd here has ever done with their best attempts to top a individually-planet-saving Prius owner) then they could afford any exotic gas sucking car on the road and it's not bad. It's just that Lexus and Mercedes SUV buyers want as much horsepower as the super speed pickup truck set gets. SRT10? Come on folks, this vehicle is for rich people to take out into the country and go places off raod.

Just give me the diesel version and not too pimped that mud isn't occasionally a welcome guest!!! Oh yeah and the disposable capital to afford. I'll then not get that mean looking Rolls Royce or flying buttress butted five nine nine and I'll also make up for it by spacious sailing boats instead of offshore racing boats... okay? LOL

Nope... I'd love a diesel Range Rover! ;-)
Yeah I'm 17, you caught me? Regardless I started off by just asking some basic tips (I was thinking supercharger mods) that would give me some better mileage, and out of no where a bunch of people started trashing my car. At some point I have to say wow, you're a bunch of resourceful people with a horrible attitude towards somebody who doesn't want to drive around in a mismatched late 80's Ford so he can save $200 bucks a year on gas.

I would of loved a TDV8, but try getting one in the states.
pushycruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:24 PM   #36
*shrug*

I'll finally get around to posting here. Whatever car you've got, if you want to improve your mileage, that's good, na.

As for what you can do, as in, what you can *really* do, the best thing is just to combine trips, avoid driving, bike, get a beater or borrow a car when you can. When you get to a certain point a huge percentage gain might not make much practical difference compared to just not driving.

For example, in that car, my bike trip to the store today would've saved a whole gallon of gas, seems like a good deal to me.

As for the car itself, I would just try not to get on it too hard, poke around the site for some of the general tips for other cars and see what works for yours.

Sorry everyone wants to get whiney about it, but some of us here just have a rough sense of humor.

I don't see any supercharger mods being too helpful, unless you want to boost limit it to nothing...which might help.

What else...don't worry about being young. I was young when I started, too. Now I'm still young,
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:26 PM   #37
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derangedrover View Post
Source the engine and drop it in. It's legal in most places AFAIK. I never knew unstable bob was a bunch of people, but who knows?
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:28 PM   #38
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sludgy View Post
Gee, I thought my F350 was a ripoff, mileage-wise. But it gets about 18 mpg overall. Finally I can say Neener, Neener, Neener! to someone who bought a worse fuel pig.
thats why diesels are so great. do you have the 7.3?
Old 09-19-2007, 06:33 PM   #39
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_Red
Personally I'd love to get a diesel D90.....

Slightly random question, how at 17 do you have a 90k car?

I still think that lowering it, mounting a belly pan and enjoying on the street as it was meant to be would be the best for you. Depending how you are with tuners you might want to get into the ECU and drop your fuel curve down a notch or two so you aren't running as rich. Or setup some kind of water/meth injection and up the timing
Old 09-19-2007, 06:37 PM   #40
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by derangedrover View Post
Yeah I'm 17, you caught me? Regardless I started off by just asking some basic tips (I was thinking supercharger mods) that would give me some better mileage, and out of no where a bunch of people started trashing my car. At some point I have to say wow, you're a bunch of resourceful people with a horrible attitude towards somebody who doesn't want to drive around in a mismatched late 80's Ford so he can save $200 bucks a year on gas.

Hahaha... We can all go back and see how this all started....

The first response was that the advice for the hummer should apply to your vehicle.... And then, out of nowhere, you became defensive instead of asking why....

Quote:
I suppose all the advice the Hummer guy got applies here too.
Here's where you went wrong...
Quote:
don't even think about comparing it to a hummer
Where, instead, if you had asked where this advice was - you would have avoided this session that basically trashed your reputation here. You asked for advice, and it seemed like you didn't like it... And then defended what has proven to be a bad choice.

Please take this as advice - in my last post, nor in this one, do I intend to insult (they're just to the point)... It's just communal advice

------
Now, it's obvious that you do want to be a part of this community... After all, you registered and came back after page 1's slugfest.

You can choose to ignore caustic responses (they're typically quite clear). And as a new member, it's typically best to avoid said posts for reasons found on page 1

------
So, I'm going to say it again....

If you're goal is to optimize fuel economy in any way... You need to compromise. There's no status quo when you're trying to change something (by definition). So, if I were in your situation... I'd start with a search for hummer and see what advice was given

To my knowledge, SC modification is uncharted territory here. If you're going to make modifications, do post up in the experiments section (I'm sure people will find it interesting) -- you'll find what makes a test "good" (or closer to valid) in that same section

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote