Better Mileage in a Range - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-19-2007, 06:45 PM   #41
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by perris View Post
[snip]
so the hummer thread might help but there might be other information the experts have that ddn't even get mentioned on the hummer thread
'
maybe

but according you you guys he shouldn't even ask

gots to say, I am disapointed in the attitude on this thread

I have to agree. Derangedrover is the kind of person everyone should earnestly be eager to help conserve fuel! Any fuel savings a gas guzzling pig like his car makes is the equivalent of removing an entire fuel efficient car from the road. From 11mpg to 14mpg over 400 miles is huge savings. It's nearly 8 gallons of gas! More gas than my car uses over 400 miles. So, yeah, while that only further reinforces the fact that big gas guzzling SUVs are monstrosities and an abomination and should have never been made in the first place, as long as they continue to be driven, it holds true that they provide the biggest potential for making a difference in the amount of earth destroying pollutants they will be emitting into the air. So, yeah, one must remember that and try to bite their lip and give helpful advice the best they can instead of giving the guy a hard time. Yeah, I fail it.

One option is to trade it in for another gas behemoth but one that makes some efforts to conserve fuel. I know there are some Mercedes with cylinder shut off mode when not needing the 300 excess hp under hood. Anything by Honda or Acura will probably have decent FE, such as the Honda Pilot. You could check out 100 most fuel efficient vehicles on yahoo and then go to the bottom of the list and see if there are any more moderate SUVs that you could see yourself in. And if you are feeling really heroic, you could even consider a slightly less abominable upscale crossover. Not a car, but not an SUV. Like the Chrysler Pacifica. There are many many upscale, creature comfort cars and SUVs out there that use up to 1/2 the fuel your current monolith uses.

Some possible contenders:

http://autos.yahoo.com/2007_jeep_patriot_limited_4x4/;_ylt=AjBsIDnSRJFPQEpht6pX9zp1JNIF;_ylv=3]Jeep Patriot Limted 29/25mpg (looking at the diminutive price tag, probably "underpowered" tho)

http://autos.yahoo.com/2007_jeep_compass_limited_4x4/;_ylt=AmzcF89Sb.qeAGt8VtvGEoJ1JNIF;_ylv=3]Jeep Compass 29/25mpg

Porsches make very fuel efficient engines. You could trade in for a Porsche Cayenne or Cayenne S.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:54 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
I have to agree. Derangedrover is the kind of person everyone should earnestly be eager to help conserve fuel! Any fuel savings a gas guzzling pig like his car makes is the equivalent of removing an entire fuel efficient car from the road. From 11mpg to 14mpg over 400 miles is huge savings. It's nearly 8 gallons of gas! More gas than my car uses over 400 miles. So, yeah, while that only further reinforces the fact that big gas guzzling SUVs are monstrosities and an abomination and should have never been made in the first place, as long as they continue to be driven, it holds true that they provide the biggest potential for making a difference in the amount of earth destroying pollutants they will be emitting into the air. So, yeah, one must remember that and try to bite their lip and give helpful advice the best they can instead of giving the guy a hard time. Yeah, I fail it.

One option is to trade it in for another gas behemoth but one that makes some efforts to conserve fuel. I know there are some Mercedes with cylinder shut off mode when not needing the 300 excess hp under hood. Anything by Honda or Acura will probably have decent FE, such as the Honda Pilot. You could check out 100 most fuel efficient vehicles on yahoo and then go to the bottom of the list and see if there are any more moderate SUVs that you could see yourself in. And if you are feeling really heroic, you could even consider a slightly less abominable upscale crossover. Not a car, but not an SUV. Like the Chrysler Pacifica. There are many many upscale, creature comfort cars and SUVs out there that use up to 1/2 the fuel your current monolith uses.

Some possible contenders:

http://autos.yahoo.com/2007_jeep_patriot_limited_4x4/;_ylt=AjBsIDnSRJFPQEpht6pX9zp1JNIF;_ylv=3]Jeep Patriot Limted 29/25mpg (looking at the diminutive price tag, probably "underpowered" tho)

http://autos.yahoo.com/2007_jeep_compass_limited_4x4/;_ylt=AmzcF89Sb.qeAGt8VtvGEoJ1JNIF;_ylv=3]Jeep Compass 29/25mpg

Porsches make very fuel efficient engines. You could trade in for a Porsche Cayenne or Cayenne S.
I don't think you understand. I have the car because I wanted it, and in all honesty it doesn't matter to me what the mileage is, but if I can save even $5 bucks a week on gas...great. I could get three of those jeeps for what I paid for the Rover...so if I was looking for great mileage off the bat I would have gotten a bike.

P.S. Trading in a week old car is out of the question

pushycruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:58 PM   #43
*shrug*

Well, given that response, what are you willing to do to use less gas?
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:59 PM   #44
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
So, yeah, while that only further reinforces the fact that big gas guzzling SUVs are monstrosities and an abomination and should have never been made in the first place, as long as they continue to be driven, it holds true that they provide the biggest potential for making a difference in the amount of earth destroying pollutants they will be emitting into the air.
Ummm, your '93 Civic might actually be many times more dangerous than this Land Rover with the engine running in a closed garage.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:02 PM   #45
*shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TonJellyBean View Post
Ummm, your '93 Civic might actually be many times more dangerous than this Land Rover with the engine running in a closed garage.
But still better than an SUV of a similar price/time era. You can't really compare a 70k brand new suv to a car purchased for a few grand, because economic restraints prevent everyone from buying a new car every year just to stay up on emissions technologies.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:02 PM   #46
Registered Member

Can we end this thread? The troll is pulling out a bunch of anti SUV sentiments and last time I checked we were all driving toxic devices.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:05 PM   #47
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
But still better than an SUV of a similar price/time era. You can't really compare a 70k brand new suv to a car purchased for a few grand, because economic restraints prevent everyone from buying a new car every year just to stay up on emissions technologies.
Why? It's mid September 2007 and this is what we drive on a regular basis. Running out of gas is one thing, running out of breathable air at some point will probably have more of an impact.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:06 PM   #48
*shrug*

I don't understand what you're trying to say. Sorry!
Old 09-19-2007, 07:11 PM   #49
Registered Member

My point is that all vehicles should also be compared on how toxic they are. It'll be short sighted if we don't. Sad part is when I see an old Packard still driving. It's nice to see the machinery still working, but if everyone in the LA basin drove one, they'd all be dead.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:13 PM   #50
*shrug*

Well, obviously, I don't want to keep my car for the same reason, but for most of us with old cars, economic reasons preclude us from going out and buying new ones. However, the best we can do is get the least polluting car for the money, or drive what we're stuck with the least.