Better Mileage in a Range - Page 8 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-20-2007, 08:17 PM   #71
Registered Member

lol if you personally can afford a 90K car at 17 years old you shouldnt be worried about gas first off since i bet you can afford insurace, maintince costs, testing, etc...second off, last time i checked jeep wranglers were essentially mechanical billygoats that can go thru up over anything and can snag one for about 2-3K if you really wanted to go off road.

lol im going with bob on this one, HIGHLY unlikely that a 17 year old kid can afford anyhting over 10K unless mommy and daddy were payin for it all, which then i hope you roll the damn thing tryin to show off since you dont know the value of a dollar. but then again thier just gonna buy you another...

btw id take bobs AMC, or grand national over a range rover anyday, they have alot more class that anything you can buy.

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:35 PM   #72
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
lol im going with bob on this one, HIGHLY unlikely that a 17 year...
Holy Crap... He's 17!!! I must have missed that somewhere...

If someone else didn't pay for it - what exactly do you do for work to afford the car? Is it something you're going to be able to do when you eventually go off to college and such?

If someone else paid for it... That totally sucks, I hope they're helping with fuel now

Quote:
No disrespect, but why would I have spent the extra money on a S/C edition if I were gonna remove the belt
Why would you spend extra money on a S/C and a week later ask how to get better FE out of it? You're halfway there - you want to make a change, but it seems you're not yet willing to accept the trade-offs. Out of curiosity, why did you spend the extra money on the supercharged edition?

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:53 PM   #73
Supporting Member

Ok this is the real deal he has the car ive been in it. I think its happend to many of us we were looking at a car and belived the epa when it came to mileage and wanted to do better. We need to help him just like we would someone in metro or a vx.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:18 PM   #74
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey4mnhs View Post
I think its happend to many of us we were looking at a car and belived the epa when it came to mileage and wanted to do better. We need to help him just like we would someone in metro or a vx.
oh puh leez

all th necessary info has alreddy ben givn

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

theclencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:56 PM   #75
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to unstable bob
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
lol if you personally can afford a 90K car at 17 years old you shouldnt be worried about gas first off since i bet you can afford insurace, maintince costs, testing, etc...second off, last time i checked jeep wranglers were essentially mechanical billygoats that can go thru up over anything and can snag one for about 2-3K if you really wanted to go off road.

lol im going with bob on this one, HIGHLY unlikely that a 17 year old kid can afford anyhting over 10K unless mommy and daddy were payin for it all, which then i hope you roll the damn thing tryin to show off since you dont know the value of a dollar. but then again thier just gonna buy you another...

btw id take bobs AMC, or grand national over a range rover anyday, they have alot more class that anything you can buy.
Thanks for the props, Vette. And yeah, I think it's a crock. A spade is a spade: ya want economy, ya buy an ecomonical car. Ya wanna be a pompous, self indulgent "image" freak ya buy a Land Plower or such. And make sure that 4WD is working when you explore the parking lot of Starbucks!

www.unstablebobgable.com

1973 AMC AMX: The beauty
1987 Buick T-Type: The beast
2004 Cavalier: The MPG machine
unstable bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:10 AM   #76
Registered Member

Quote:
...We need to help him just like we would someone in metro or a vx...
We should help him make better vehicle choices next time.

IF indeed his folks bought a $90k behemoth for him, they might have had the most influence in the choice of vehicles (aww, look at junior crushing all those other cars)
Old 09-21-2007, 03:31 AM   #77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
Don't stop for pedestrians. Unless you will hit them, don't slow down or stop, it's okay if you give them a little scare. Instead, let your foot off the accelerator and wait until the absolute last minute before hitting the brakes. Many times they will hurry across the crosswalk when they see you are not slowing. Most of the time you can get away with not braking.
The only pedestrians I usually encounter are on their way to grade school and I give them a WIDE birth.

Sometimes in the city you have to be a little assertive to get anywhere with the pedestrians, just remember they are saving gas by walking after all. It would be better to hit the gaps by accelerating just right if possible.

If you do know you will have to stop, i.e. you know the timing of the next light and have too much speed when you saw it, or you can see the end of the train, or the end of the line of people, then it may be best to slow down early.

Two scenarios, you are 2000 feet from the railroad tracks when you realize they are down. Maybe you can see the end of the train.
1. you coast and have to come to a complete stop at the tracks. You've lost all your momentum.

2. you give it a little brake (experience helps), then coast somewhat slower and arrive at the tracks right after the gates go up. You get to keep a good chunk of your momentum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
skewbe says: Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg
I can't take credit for the saying, forget where I heard it though.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:39 AM   #78
Registered Member

I have to say I can't believe the incredible hypocracy on this thread, you guys are unbelieveable bigots

this guy has a car that he wants, it's not up to you if he bought more car then he needs, it's not up to you if he bought it or his parents bought, all that matters is he asked for help, advice and information

FOR THE CAR HE HAS NOT THE CAR YOU WANT HIM TO GET

(oh my g-d, I just sounded like donald rumsfeld...save me someone)

he came here looking for help and all you guys can do is show what jealous, bigoted, inconsiderate trolls you are

some of you make beleive you "could afford one" and then go on to show your real jealousy

there are some members here that are doing what this board was clearly started for;

to help people who want to get better gas mileage

but there are some of you here that think you are members of some kind of club that nobody else need apply...make this a private forum where applicants are invited or put on the friggin faqs;

"don't register if you have a gas guzzler, we only help people with cars that allready get good gas mileage"

puh leeze

I am entirlely disappointed in some of the members on this board and I cannot believe they aren't banned for being the trolls they are

I therefore retire from this board

good bye
perris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:41 AM   #79
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Quote:
Ok this is the real deal he has the car ive been in it. I think its happend to many of us we were looking at a car and belived the epa when it came to mileage and wanted to do better. We need to help him just like we would someone in metro or a vx.
He didn't look at the EPA when he bought the car. FE never crossed his mind the entire time. But now that he realizes how annoying it is to spend ten minutes every three days pumping gas into it, he wants to get a few more miles per tank. Perfectly reasonable. I'm not sure why we are still giving the poor kid (uhh... heh) a hard time. He did try to make nice and then Bob continued to be rude.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:49 AM   #80
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by skewbe View Post
The only pedestrians I usually encounter are on their way to grade school and I give them a WIDE birth.

Sometimes in the city you have to be a little assertive to get anywhere with the pedestrians, just remember they are saving gas by walking after all. It would be better to hit the gaps by accelerating just right if possible.

<b>If you do know you will have to stop, i.e. you know the timing of the next light and have too much speed when you saw it, or you can see the end of the train, or the end of the line of people, then it may be best to slow down early. </b>

Two scenarios, you are 2000 feet from the railroad tracks when you realize they are down. Maybe you can see the end of the train.
1. you coast and have to come to a complete stop at the tracks. You've lost all your momentum.

2. you give it a little brake (experience helps), then coast somewhat slower and arrive at the tracks right after the gates go up. You get to keep a good chunk of your momentum.

I can't take credit for the saying, forget where I heard it though.
Yeah, thanks for mentioning it. I forgot to touch on that, glad you offered it up. Well, you can take credit for it, it's common sense I think. It does make perfect sense, because if you wait to brake at the last second, you're liable to come to a complete stop where as if you brake sooner, you're liable to be moving at 20mph or so by the time the RR gates go up or the lazy susan (wait, what? another person trying to save gas and interfering with <i>my</i> FE!?) has finally accelerated to a normal speed. Which raises another interesting point about doing good for the planet. Often the best thing you can do means hurting your own FE. If you pull in front of a big gas guzzling SUV, then you are doing more good by accelerating hard so the SUV doesn't have to brake - because both of you will be using much more gas combined if you accelerate moderately and he has to slow down and then accelerate again if you get my meaning. So while your FE goes down, the global environmental impact also is less.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote