Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2012, 09:01 AM   #31
Registered Member

Re: Bigger fuel tank for a civic vx ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaguy72 View Post
The tank in Arky's is the factory tank. I can't see any reason you couldn't put the larger tank in any year vx. The chassis are identical for the 92-95 hatchbacks as far as I know.
In that case then conclusion to this werid issue would be honda was using whatever tanks were available at time randomly. Possibly maybe due to vendor supply issues or whatever as most ppl here have 10 gal tank and Arky only one so far that has 12 gal tank.

sebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:28 AM   #32
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetch View Post
The US 92 VX has a 11.9 gallon tank. The fuel gauges suck. I have had 4 civics with that tank. They all read empty with about 3 gallons left. The 93-95 VX has a 10-gallon tank. I could overfill mine to 10.2 if it was bone dry.
Oh ok.....Yeah i was talking to Arky and telling him that my fuel gauge sucks balls cause it's so inaccurate. I will see what my fill up is this time around.
This also makes sense

Old 06-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #33
Registered Member

I am curious about this issue as well. I'm driving a 94 but may have access to a 92 VX tank for free. I don't want to go to the trouble of making the switch if they are the same size of course but I would like to have the extra 1.9 gallon range. I guess once I get access to the 92 I should be able to measure the tanks and compare? Is enough of the tank accessible to measure? Once I find out for sure I will post. I have found differing numbers on various websites so I can't verify with any certainty online.
1carnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:37 PM   #34
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1carnut View Post
I am curious about this issue as well. I'm driving a 94 but may have access to a 92 VX tank for free. I don't want to go to the trouble of making the switch if they are the same size of course but I would like to have the extra 1.9 gallon range. I guess once I get access to the 92 I should be able to measure the tanks and compare? Is enough of the tank accessible to measure? Once I find out for sure I will post. I have found differing numbers on various websites so I can't verify with any certainty online.
In my 92 VX i believe i have 10 gal tank. My bud in his 92 VX has 12 gal tank so IMO Honda randomely installed tanks that were available at time. Maybe there was shortage of tanks to DX tank was used vs VX or CX for example. I'm not sure of this. All i know at most my car will take 8.9 gals and that's with 1 gal left or so. Anything over will spill out where my buddy easy can do 10-12 gals. I can do 400-425m on tank. He can do 500-600m on tank yet we have comparable MPGS. Conclusion is we have different size tanks. I would not assume that all 92 VX have 12 gal tank as IMO i do not have 12 but 10 gal tank IMHO.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:24 PM   #35
Registered Member

Does anyone else on here own a '92 VX, and if so, what size tank do you have? I can definitely put 11.9 gallons of gas in my tank. I have to squeeze it in but I can get it in there.
VX_Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #36
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
Does anyone else on here own a '92 VX, and if so, what size tank do you have? I can definitely put 11.9 gallons of gas in my tank. I have to squeeze it in but I can get it in there.
I have a 1992 VX and ran it out of gas today just to find out for sure. Well I was carrying a gallon of gas in the car when it happened. Well the engine did not like being ran out of gas one bit. It took five minutes or more for it to fire up again. Then I only drove a couple of blocks and it died again. Sat there for ten minutes finally started again drove two blocks died again. Sat there another ten minutes or so. Started up again but it was running like crap. Filled the gas tank 8.8 plus the one gallon from one mile back. Limped the car home. Lets hope it runs better tomorrow.
mattfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:10 PM   #37
Registered Member

^You may have either sucked up some garbage or over-heated (stressed?) the fuel pump.

If you keep having problems consider replacing the fuel filter and worst case hopefully just the sock on the fuel pump might have gotten some garbage on it.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:22 PM   #38
Registered Member

Well lets hope not I had just installed the new fuel pump and filter less then 2K miles ago. From all the information I have gathered since I got my VX they only had 10 gallons tanks installed no matter what year or if it was a Canada or Japan. I think the couple of places you see it posted as a 11.9 was just a typo or mistake by whomever wrote it.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:07 AM   #39
Registered Member

The '92 VX had an 11.9-gallon tank. It switched to the CX's 10.0-gallon tank for '93.
IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:49 PM   #40
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetch View Post
The '92 VX had an 11.9-gallon tank. It switched to the CX's 10.0-gallon tank for '93.
Maybe but not all of them do.
My 1992 is most definitely a 10 gallon tank.