Block Heater! Sign Me Up! - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-22-2008, 10:42 AM   #11
Registered Member

Have used this style of block heater for over 30 years on various engines with great success.

"Usually", 2 hours or so is more than enough time to warm up a small block unless you're parked in a high wind or it's very cold like -40F.

Most outdoor timers are also great. Set them to within 2 hours of your expected departure time and you'll usually be in good shape.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:59 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by aalb1 View Post
Good thing I didn't order it yet. Have you figured out which ones these are?
No, I'd say just try to find out about a specific one...or just don't worry about it, inspect it when you get it, and bypass the thermostat if so equipped.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:19 AM   #13
Registered Member

^^^
I'm thinking these may be the higher wattage ones. Researching them they can have universal ones that can be fitted onto my 1.5L that are rated up to 2000 Watts.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:10 PM   #14
Registered Member

Are you sure your D15 engine block has a frost plug to put this into? My 1987 civic D15 block doesn't have any freeze plugs. I though the only block heater that would work would have to screw into the block drain plug (under #3/#4 spark plug at the bottom of the water jacket)- but maybe we have different engine block designs.

Also- even if it did, I didn't like the "easy installation" part of the amazon ad. Old freeze plugs can be a pain to get out, even if the block is on an engine stand and you can get at it from all angles. It is a lot harder trying to work around manifolds and pipes etc.

I don't mean to be so negative- I'm only trying to be realistic. Just be sure you have a short, sharp chisel and a hammer and plenty of patience before you start the job.
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 02:29 PM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Kinda makes me wish someone made a water heater that you could install in your cold-water bypass line. Small pump and a heating element. Just match hose size and have an active heater.

If you wanted to get DIY with it you could build something like that and use regular water heater elements with a pump. Get that engine up to 160deg+ in less than 30 minutes.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:02 PM   #16
Registered Member

Yeah- one of these inline hose heaters would be much easier to install (cut a 1-2 inch section out of the lower rad hose) BUT- unfortunately for those of us who drive Civics, the Honda engineers decided that the thermostat should be in the lower radiator hose- so this heater wouldn't heat the engine block - just the coolant in the lower rad hose.

GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:02 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
Are you sure your D15 engine block has a frost plug to put this into? My 1987 civic D15 block doesn't have any freeze plugs. I though the only block heater that would work would have to screw into the block drain plug (under #3/#4 spark plug at the bottom of the water jacket)- but maybe we have different engine block designs.
Great point Erik.
The Block Heater is 28mm... and the coolant drain plug is 28mm... See what I'm getting at.

I believe the picture is only a "generic picture" as the true product varies from app to app. Most likely this is a threaded block heater. If not then I am going to call the company to see what they suggest.

If this is just a replacement for the drain plug then it should be an easy process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
Yeah- one of these inline hose heaters would be much easier to install (cut a 1-2 inch section out of the lower rad hose) BUT- unfortunately for those of us who drive Civics, the Honda engineers decided that the thermostat should be in the lower radiator hose- so this heater wouldn't heat the engine block - just the coolant in the lower rad hose.

I was considering this exact one but I couldn't wrap my mind on how this would possibly work on a Civic. "How's it gonna heat through the thermostat? Can I put it on the upper radiator hose?" So I nixed that possibility.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:21 PM   #18
Registered Member

After I installed my 1kW tank style heater, I found that the majority of timers on the shelves are only rated for 750W, so definately check the specs if your heater draws that much. It takes less than an hour for my Tercel to get up to full operating temperature with it. Coupled with an electric heater inside the car, the frost is melted off by the time I leave as well.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 04:44 AM   #19
Registered Member

i've gotta get a block heater installed and a grill block in place....its nasty cold here right now (about -17C + windchill) and my FE has plummeted. i'm not even recording it, its embarrassing lol.

personally i'm looking into the pump style that circulates the coolant while heating it. much more efficient. just tap it into the heater core lines.

my car does not heat up well. no air so the rad is pretty exposed and its a manual so no oil cooler from the trans to help. BRRR!
Old 12-29-2008, 06:51 AM   #20
Registered Member

Just got it delivered to my cubicle today!!! Super Saver Shipping was pretty damn quick.

And Erik... my assumptions were correct. The picture on Amazon was just a generic picture and the actual heater is a threaded 28mm plug that replaced the D-Series drain plug.

I'll be installing this next week.

Crappy Cell Phone Picture