BP vs Texaco - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-27-2008, 04:26 AM   #1
Registered Member

BP vs Texaco

I've recently been using either Texaco or BP gasoline and I've noticed I'm getting much higher MPG readings on the Texaco than on the BP. I never thought there was that much difference in gas, but each time I use BP mileage is dropping. Thought I would share this information in case anyone else wanted to see how their results turned out. It's not from just one specific BP station so it's not just that there's a variation in the pump reading, because I've filled at several different BP stations. The MPG differences have been as much as +10-15% using Texaco. I'm going to use Texaco only for a while to see if my MPG results vary as much as in the past using both brands. My driving conditions remain 90%+ the same day in and day out so I don't think that's playing much of a roll and I always top off the tank so I know it's not a variation in fill levels. I'd like for other BP users to try this experiment and post results in this thread so I can see if it's a trend or if it's vehicle specific. If you look at my gas log my last 2 fill up's were at BP and the previous 3 were Texaco and I don't remember about the others.

#47 on my way to #1
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:12 PM   #2
Registered Member

Do you always get Texaco's gas at a Texaco station and BP's gas at a BP station? In our area, most gas stations get their gas from the same distribution source. A Texaco station only means it's operated by Texaco.

WhitePolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:35 PM   #3
Registered Member

The Tempo I drove for a while was very particular, it really liked Sunoco, was the only way you could get near 30mpg out of it, Petro-Canada and Pioneer weren't too far behind, but it not only got bad mileage on anything else, it would buck and hesitate and splutter.

Marvin always seemed to prefer Canadian Tire gas, wherever they get it from round here, and is off his game on Sunoco, but seems to tolerate Petro-Canada and Pioneer okay, he runs smooth on Esso, Shell he doesn't like. Wile-E had a slight preference for Petro-Canada and Pioneer over Canadian Tire gas, Esso ran good, and didn't like Sunoco much.

However, this was all before the mandated 5% ethanol and I'm not so happy with the Canadian Tire gas as I used to be. (Though very happy with the $2 worth of CT money I get each fillup, other promotions seem to be worth a max of 50c or so.) But, using methanol as a "fixing ethanol" additive seems to have helped my last tank, and since Sunoco and Pioneer seem to have highest ethanol blends, I might try a tank of those with the methanol in.

Oh differences were on the tempo getting highs of 31 mpg, vs lows of 23, and on Marvin getting lows of 21 vs highs of 25. and on Wile-E getting just around a 2mpg variation between 30 and 34.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:40 PM   #4
Registered Member

Oh, my theory is that while it's all nominally 87 Octane, that's determined as RON+MON/2 so an average of the two testing values, and that some motors prefer a leaning towards the RON side, and others towards the MON side, and is probably burn speed, ignition advance and engine geometry related.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 02:10 PM   #5
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
The Tempo I drove for a while was very particular, it really liked Sunoco, was the only way you could get near 30mpg out of it, Petro-Canada and Pioneer weren't too far behind, but it not only got bad mileage on anything else, it would buck and hesitate and splutter.

Marvin always seemed to prefer Canadian Tire gas, wherever they get it from round here, and is off his game on Sunoco, but seems to tolerate Petro-Canada and Pioneer okay, he runs smooth on Esso, Shell he doesn't like. Wile-E had a slight preference for Petro-Canada and Pioneer over Canadian Tire gas, Esso ran good, and didn't like Sunoco much.

However, this was all before the mandated 5% ethanol and I'm not so happy with the Canadian Tire gas as I used to be. (Though very happy with the $2 worth of CT money I get each fillup, other promotions seem to be worth a max of 50c or so.) But, using methanol as a "fixing ethanol" additive seems to have helped my last tank, and since Sunoco and Pioneer seem to have highest ethanol blends, I might try a tank of those with the methanol in.

Oh differences were on the tempo getting highs of 31 mpg, vs lows of 23, and on Marvin getting lows of 21 vs highs of 25. and on Wile-E getting just around a 2mpg variation between 30 and 34.
My old Pontiac wagon used to do really well on Chevron, but then a lot of the Chevron stations switched to another brand. The only remaining Chevron stations were not along my regular route, so I ended up on whatever I got my hands on cheap after that. My sister swears by Texaco, and mom raves about Exxon. My guess is its how well their advertising gets to you. I do know that my wagon would only spin the rear wheels when I put Chevron in it.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 02:21 PM   #6
Registered Member

My old car (Toyota Yaris) and my current (Mitsubishi Lancer) really liked Chevron. I'm giving Shell a spin (out of necesity more than anything. tank was on E and the closest open station was a Shell), so I'll know by next week how does the Lancer likes Chevron. Both Mobil and Marathon gas performed really bad on both cars though.
trancosrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 05:17 PM   #7
Registered Member

Look to see how much ethanol is in each.

Also you really need to average 5 tanks in a row on each to make sure it isn't just a difference between the pump cutoffs.

opelgt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:21 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitePolarBear View Post
Do you always get Texaco's gas at a Texaco station and BP's gas at a BP station? In our area, most gas stations get their gas from the same distribution source. A Texaco station only means it's operated by Texaco.
Yes, and have even bought some out of the general area that I usually buy my gas. (About 75 miles from home so I know it is was from a different distributor.)
#47 on my way to #1
Old 06-30-2008, 07:28 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opelgt73 View Post

Also you really need to average 5 tanks in a row on each to make sure it isn't just a difference between the pump cutoffs.
That was my first thought maybe one had ethanol and the other didn't. There is nothing on the pump at either stating any ethanol content so I was asuming they have none. I think they are required by law to post it on the pump, but I could be wrong.
#47 on my way to #1
Old 06-30-2008, 07:43 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opelgt73 View Post

I plan to use only Texaco for a while just to see if I get any large variations or not, so time will tell. I used to use whatever was cheapest, but then I got the BP credit card that gives 5% rebate and started using it nearly all the time and I just recently started using some Texaco because their price at one local station is nearly as cheap as BP including the 5% rebate. The 5% rebate is not worth losing 10-15% on FE. I may not be the brightest bulb in the box, but I know 10-15% savings beats the hell out of 5%.

#47 on my way to #1