Bring back the Geo Metro! - Page 7 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2014, 11:06 PM   #61
Registered Member

Yea again, your views seem to be very old fashioned, modern glow plugs don't need time to heat up anymore, they start instantly like a petrol motor does. And you say about non-turbocharged diesels? Pretty sure all diesels have been turbocharged for the last 20 odd years, some of the German diesels are twin turbo now for even better power/economy.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...?logcode=ucnnp

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:01 AM   #62
Registered Member

You are correct. Most diesels have been turbocharged for decades. But when analyzing engine performance you have to start with the basic engine, then add accessories. Turbos, or any other superchargers, increase the intake manifold pressure when needed, thus forcing more air into the cylinders for combustion. That increases cylinder pressures and temperatures, and results in higher engine torque. Exactly the same job they have done since before WWII. Since diesels inhale only air and not fuel, valve timings (overlap) can be adjusted a little to allow some "extra" air to be used for scavenging/cooling.

Not just German diesels are twin-turboed. For that matter, some petrol engines have twin turbos as well, sometimes one per bank on a V engine; sometimes one smaller and one larger. No news there. The news is that twin turbos are used not for more power or economy, but for quicker response to avoid the dreaded "turbo lag." And for your further information, turbocharging a diesel does provide more power, but the turbo also provides higher exhaust back pressure and actuslly slightly reduces efficiency. The greater economy comes into play because a smaller engine can provide the "base" power most of the time on light throttle application where the turbo's job is mostly to stay out of the way. The turbocharger is really only in use on high power application. There is no free lunch - the turbocharger requires power for its use, and the engine supplies the power. The turbocharger in turn allows the engine to make more power in a sort of regenerative fashion, but the turbo NEVER works "for free."

Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:18 AM   #63
Registered Member

On paper in technical terms a turbo might "reduce" efficientcy perhaps, but in reality they help reduce fuel consumption. I've found with the 2 turbocharged cars i've owned, one diesel, one petrol, the extra torque/power you get at lower revs means you can tackle hills and other obsticals in lower gears, and change gear at lower revs. If you look at the most economical diesel cars in the UK (the best getting an average of 91 MPG) they are all turbocharged diesel units. So your turn again to write a technical essay

Old 04-02-2014, 10:12 AM   #64
Registered Member

No,I don't think I'll bother. I'll just skulk in the shadow of your vast knowledge and experience.
Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:43 AM   #65
Registered Member

Ha if only all cars had engines like this hey?

http://www.engineering.com/DesignerE...HP-Engine.aspx

Old 04-11-2014, 03:21 AM   #66
Registered Member

As has been mentioned the Spark is the new Metro. GM now owns Daewoo so it's not a re-badged anything it is a GM-Korea car. I have had mine 5 months now and have put almost 15,000 miles on it. Over the winter I have averaged 41 mpg and now that the weather is getting warmer the mpg's are climbing, last tank was 44.9. I paid 12k for mine but there have been a few dealers that have been known to sell them for 9,999. If I would have had the time I would have flown out to Oregon and bought one for that price and drove it back to MD just for the adventure ;-)
BTW.... Even though I said it was the new Metro honestly it's a very matured version and the '14 seems to not have the A/C issues the '13 did, the fit and finish are top notch, IMHO it makes the Yaris, mirage, and fit seem like the modern version of the Yugo in comparison..... ohhh that's gonna ruffle some feathers.......
21783mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:02 AM   #67
Registered Member

Time will tell. Hopefully the Spark will have a better track record than the pathetic Aveo.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:23 AM   #68
Registered Member

The Spark is a class smaller than the Aveo. Which is still around. It just goes by Sonic in North America.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:16 PM   #69
Registered Member

geo metro is not as safe as most new cars. I get over 40 mpg on my chevy spark. I can get close to 50 if I drive 55 mph, but people hate me when I do that.

the elio is going to use motor from the metro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesan View Post
Last model year was 2001. This basic, cheap, easy to maintain, reliable little car gets close to 50 mpg, "pre-hybrid" style. Why did GM cancel it? With gas near $4 bucks/gal they are not looking too smart. Yes, the Prius gets about the same mileage, but its a $25K car, vs $8K for a Metro. And many people have got "shafted" on the maintenance and repairs of that complex hybrid. Sometimes a simple old "low tech" solution is just the better way!
tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:06 AM   #70
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post
geo metro is not as safe as most new cars. I get over 40 mpg on my chevy spark. I can get close to 50 if I drive 55 mph, but people hate me when I do that.
I read several posts say the Metro is unsafe? No car will save you in a major wreck. There was a really tragic head-on collision here recently between a late model rent-a-car and a F350 truck. Crossed the centerline at 60mph. BOTH vehicles were destroyed and all occupants perished, despite all the airbags inflating, etc.

I'd say the best way to protect yourself in any vehicle is to drive very defensively and not just count on any "new technology" to help you if the worst happens.

Mikesan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chevy, geo, metro