Burn Rate Modifier - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2010, 04:00 PM   #1
Registered Member

Burn Rate Modifier

I drive an '04 Dodge Durango (5.7L Hemi). I'd like to know if there is anyone else out there that drives a similar make/model. I got back from Iraq a few months ago and began using a new additive that is a "burn rate modifier" and claims to improve gas mileage by 20-25% as well as cut emissions by 30 something %. I have to admit that I neglected to get a good baseline before I started. Right now I'm getting 18-19mpg in town and 24-25mpg on the highway. If my memory serves me right I was getting around 13-14 in town and 19ish on the highway before.

I'd like to know if there is anyone else out there with a similar make/model to compare notes with. I searched the garage but didn't find another Durango. I haven't made any modifications either.

thanks guys.

magua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
Registered Member

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/

A 2004 Durango 4WD with 5.7L is expected to get 12 city and 16 highway. You were exceeding EPA before your additive. 19 to 25 is a 30% increase.

If the additive has made a permanent change then the improved MPG will remain after discontinuing its use and the original baseline is not necessary, good for you but not for the additive seller. If the additive requires continuous treat for the gain then allowing it to dilute away for a few tanks will allow you obtain your original baseline.

Other than the generic nail polish chemicals Acetone and Methyl Acetate, Googling for "burn rate modifier" predominately produced results on one particular product resembling snake oil you've mentioned elsewhere. SXFT (XFT) is quite expensive. 20 Gallons of fuel at $2.50 per gallon with 1/4 ounce of SXFT for $4 at 24 MPG is $54 for 480 miles. The $4 will buy me 1.6 extra gallons. 21.6 gallons of fuel at 19 MPG will take me 411 miles. The remaining 69 miles requires $9 for 3.6 more gallons for a total cost of $63. The product is so expensive that a 30% mileage improvement produces only a 15% savings. The largest testimonial I can find is a 15% MPG improvement. I'll let you do the math on that one.

Try to think of a petroleum product that is $1200 per gallon. I can't think of any so there's a lot of profit in the mix, so much that ROI is slim to none. You should spend some time with other chemicals in hopes of finding a cheaper alternative. RXP Gas Kicker is a similar price and available at Autozone and other retailers, also not worth it even if it does work.

severach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:08 AM   #3
Registered Member

SFXT same as XFT???

Is SXFT the same as XFT via the mrfleetfuel.com site? that is who i've been buying mine through. you are right in that it does require constant use, but by my calculations it is well worth it to gain 20-30% mpg increase without fiddling with mods.

your response made me do some math on my own... the way i calculated it is at 20% increase on a vehicle originally getting 18mpg would give you 21.6mpg. so on a tank of fuel you would get 648 miles vs a previous 540 (with a 30gallon tank) at a cost of 3.98 in XFT. to get those extra 108 miles I would have to buy 6 more gallons of gas which runs around 17 bucks right now. that means i'm saving 13 bucks per tank (average).
Old 02-14-2010, 06:41 AM   #4
Registered Member

I did some math of my own too!

40 mpg and using my average of 9.5 gives me 380 miles.

with 20% increase i can go 456 mile. that would take an extra 1.9 gallons at $3 a gallon. subtract the $4 for the fuel treatment gives me a savings of $1.70

(edit)
To get my numbers reading along same line as his change the gas price to 2.83 like his is and that drops the saving to $1.37.

LxMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:13 AM   #5
Banned

can someone confirm magua isnt a salesman? doesnt seem like it considering his bike sale.. but that could have been copied.. just saying, ive been down the snake oil path before and additives are prime for that.. sorry if im wrong but he copied the same txt from another thread
spotaneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:21 AM   #6
Banned

how believeable is this magua just posted this about his bike:
85mpg on my F650gs
I'm not sure about how effective those modifications would be. Personally I would recommend trying XFT before you go through the hassle. I use to get around 65 mpg on my bike. now I get 85. no super modifications needed. I suppose it could get even better if I could remember to make a point of it while riding.
spotaneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:13 AM   #7
Registered Member

I'm kinda surprized cause usualy these kind things don't come out until gas prices start going up.

LxMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:12 PM   #8
Registered Member

yes. that is what i get with my bmw bike too. i've been trying it with both my bmw bike and my durango. but like i said i didn't get the baseline like i should have. after i posted the bike suggestion i figured i ought to compare notes on mpg before i go recommending it to others. i don't want to be irresponsible about recommending a product... hence the question about anyone else with a durango.

and yes i'm selling my softail (which i have not used the additive in it at all since i'm trying not to rack up any more miles on it before i sell it)
Old 02-14-2010, 12:25 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magua View Post
Is SXFT the same as XFT
I see sites advertising SFT, XFT, and both on one label as SXFT. The price and color are the same so I call it the same product. I suspect it is the same product as RXP Gas Kicker Generation II which appears to be an improved version of the RXP Gas Kicker available in some auto stores.

A seller of consumables is interested in selling as much as possible. A buyer is interested in buying as little as possible. As a buyer of a very expensive product you will find it hard to give up your improved MPG but you want to let the additive dilute away to find out how little you can use. It is likely that the treat rate can be reduced as the condition of your engine improves. If you could get the same benefit with 1/4 as much or less the ROI would improve substantially.

SXFT is too expensive to try in hopes it might work, particularly when the sellers put forth no effort to avoid looking shady. If you can demonstrate tank after tank of reduced and improved mileage without and there may be something of value here worth having more of us test.
severach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:40 PM   #10
Registered Member

my thought

hmmm. i've seen good improvement with use each time i fill up, but my thought is to see if it works just as good if i do it every other time. maybe every 3rd time. will see. also i didn't buy the foil packs b/c they are so expensive. instead i signed up for an 8oz bottle of autoship and then canceled the remaining autoships after i got my bottle. that way i got it at a much reduced cost. at any rate, i'm going to see how it works every other fill up rather than every time to see if i can save even more.

again - if you have a durango with a 5.7 i'd be curious to know what you actually get in mpg.