Buying New Car - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-08-2011, 07:20 AM   #1
Registered Member

Buying New Car

I'm looking to buy a new car, and I'm looking to get the best gas mileage possible. I've been considering the Yaris, Fit, Mazda2, Fiesta, and Versa. From what I've been reading, it appears that the Yaris gets the best real world fuel economy, but I haven't seen enough data yet to make a conclusion regarding the Fiesta or Mazda2.

I really like the looks of the Mazda2, and with its low weight and small engine, I would expect it to get very high real world gas mileage. Even though gas mileage is my number one concern, I would still like to have a car that is fun to drive, which is why I'm leaning towards the Mazda2 instead of the Yaris. I plan on going out next week to test drive several cars to get a feel for which ones I prefer.

I'm not much of a "hypermiler," I usually driver pretty conservatively around town, trying to use the brakes as little as possible (coasting to red lights, etc.) and I usually just set the cruise control at 65mph on the highway.

Anyway, does anybody have any suggestions or advice? Thanks in advance.

MCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:38 AM   #2
Registered Member

Re: Buying New Car

I just purchased a yars myself. they are very fun to drive. they are peppy as far as little cars go. I haven't had it on a long trip yet so really can't comment there.

the one thing to consider is if you are thinking new, you may have an issue in the future getting a yaris since they have halted production of them in japan due to all the mess over there. (may pick back up later but who knows)

one other factor when it comes to gas mileage is the gearing of the said motor. if the motor is really small, they usually gear the car to turn higher RPMs to give it more power at a given speed.

one thing I really like about the yaris (not related to mileage) is the back seat will not only fold flat but it has the ability to slide forward about 6-8 inches as well. not sure if this is available on all of them or just the S model but it is a neat little feature that comes in handy.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:14 AM   #3
Registered Member

Car and Driver magazine just did a comparison test between the Mazda 2, Ford Fiesta, and Honda Fit. You may find this helpful:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests

Also, I would consider a Hyundai Accent. Another member just went through the same debate, considering almost the same cars, and that was the car he chose.

http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=13051
IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:10 AM   #4

I've rented both an AT Yaris and an AT Kia Rio for long trips. I averaged ~42 mpg in the Yaris over ~1200 miles (with one passenger), and 43.4 mpg in the Kia over 3600 miles (w/2 passengers). I'd have averaged >45 mpg with the Kia, if not for 2 days of fighting ferocious 45 mph crosswinds. I've also rented an AT Versa and liked it, but we were limited to short trips with it, and its EPA estimates suffer in comparison to its competition.

I think any of those cars can serve you well, especially if you buy a MT and drive for economy.
FrugalFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

For me, the deciding issue would likely be comfort/happiness. I cannot get good fuel economy in a car where I'm not comfortable. If I hate driving it I'm going to beat on it and try to get my drive done ASAP.

The Mazda sounds like a fine choice, and I'll second the recommendation that you test-drive an Accent (or maybe a 40MPG Elantra).
Old 04-08-2011, 11:47 AM   #6
Registered Member

I will say that the yaris is small. definitely test drive it. I am only 5'7" so small cars are right up my alley along with my first car being a geo metro.

if comfort is a descent factor for you, I would say that ALL of those cars considered will do you good enough with the MPG and to just test drive them and chose the one you like the best as far as comfort.

I am biased towards the yaris since I am a yaris owner but so are some of the other guys to their particular choice.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:10 PM   #7
Registered Member

buy the fiesta if its mostly US built, otherwise buy your import used. if you have enough cash(or monthly income) to buy new, certified used is just as good.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:47 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
I will say that the yaris is small. definitely test drive it. I am only 5'7" so small cars are right up my alley along with my first car being a geo metro.

if comfort is a descent factor for you, I would say that ALL of those cars considered will do you good enough with the MPG and to just test drive them and chose the one you like the best as far as comfort.

I am biased towards the yaris since I am a yaris owner but so are some of the other guys to their particular choice.
I'm also 5'7", so a small car fits me well. I plan on test driving all of them and going from there, just trying to do my due diligence first.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:27 PM   #9
Registered Member

I looked at the yarii (yarises, whatever) off and on for about two and a half years. actually was going to buy a brand new one. have it built for me. was going to put in the order on a tuesday. the friday before is when the tsunami and earthquake hit in japan. I was told that I may need to look at a different model vehicle to get what I want as they didn't know when they were going to get more cars from japan.

my current yaris is the 3 door hatch. I really wanted the 5 door hatch but I also wanted the stick shift and for it to be black. two out of three ain't bad.

I used to be just a tick under 250lbs but due to recent stress am down to 193 so the small car is fitting better and better. I will admit I like the cavalier better right now but that may be because I have driven it for 7+ years.

keep looking, your car is out there. sometimes it just takes time.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:24 PM   #10
Registered Member

Anyone have experience with the Versa, specifically with the five-speed manual transmission? I like the price, but from what I've been reading, the gas mileage is not as good as some of the other subcompacts.