Can someone give me the abridged version... - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-01-2006, 06:47 PM   #1
Registered Member

Can someone give me the abridged version...

So whats the deal with hydrogen injection?? I wouldn't imagine the small amount of hydrogen you can produce would greatly effect the combustion process. Maybe I'm wrong...

Old 03-01-2006, 07:03 PM   #2
Registered Member

Long Story Short

Long story short, the Hydrogen Injection:

* Is very dangerous to control the reaction
* Hasn't proven to gain a lot of MPG's
* Has by-products that could eat away the engine's vital components, pretty quickly

I've kinda given up on it...

RH77

Old 03-01-2006, 07:42 PM   #3
Driving on E

Re: Long Story Short

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
Long story short, the Hydrogen Injection:

* Is very dangerous to control the reaction
* Hasn't proven to gain a lot of MPG's
* Has by-products that could eat away the engine's vital components, pretty quickly

I've kinda given up on it...

RH77
Actually, I'm unsure if it really has "proven" to gain a lot of MPGs. Most sites selling it offer little or no controlled experimental evidence, and often offer a "we're not liable if it doesn't work" warranty. Capcom (from Turkey) who posts on this forum (havn't seen him in a while though) purchased an installed one of these units from a shop local to him. He realized zero net gain. Other stories are similar.

My brother said he saw something on the news where he lives about Hydrogen Injection, but I've also seen news reports for the hologram sticker that you put on your gas tank and it increases the gas mileage by 20%.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 07:46 PM   #4
Registered Member

Talked to a chemist, it

Talked to a chemist, it won't eat away the aluminum. Also too much maintenance and if you build an electrical one you will need some good electrodes, none of that home depot crap. Stainless steel is suppose to be really good. I got a large chunk of stainless steel from my uncle. All I have to do is just put the genearator together. I'm leaving it as a last chance thing. I got too much stuff to experiment before I put it on.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 07:47 PM   #5
*shrug*

Quote:Actually, I'm unsure

Quote:
Actually, I'm unsure if it really has "proven" to gain a lot of MPGs.
You sound like you disagree, but this is what he said.

I think diamondlarry loves h2, and his buddy fran giroux made like 109 mpg on it with a saturn.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 07:55 PM   #6
Driving on E

Re: Quote:Actually, I'm unsure

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
I think diamondlarry loves h2, and his buddy fran giroux made like 109 mpg on it with a saturn.
Fran did more than use h2 to get his car that high. He also used pulse and glide, as well as other driving techniques.

Like I said, it hasn't been "proven," per se. I'm awaiting an actual scientific experiment, with controlled conditions.

It would actually be pretty cool to do a controlled experiment with this, as a blind study. Get three people to agree to let you make a few modifications to their car. Tell them you are going to install a computer or something that tracks engine conditions and that you need to leave it on for one tank. Do not let them know when you install it however, or which tank it is installed on.

Do this with 5 different people on 5 different cars and you should get a good idea if there is a significant increase in MPG or not.

If I had a working unit I would do this.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:05 PM   #7
Registered Member

The current units require

The current units require too much maintenance. I'm not comfortable of running the hydrogen generator while driving. The best bet would be to get the A/f ratio really flat.

If you want a lot of hydrogen you got to waste a lot of amps. Japanese are now starting to build cars that don't run accesories on the motor. Power steering, air conditioner, brakes, cams and etc. It gives a good boost in mpg.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 08:11 PM   #8
Driving on E

Re: The current units require

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
The current units require too much maintenance. I'm not comfortable of running the hydrogen generator while driving. The best bet would be to get the A/f ratio really flat.

If you want a lot of hydrogen you got to waste a lot of amps. Japanese are now starting to build cars that don't run accesories on the motor. Power steering, air conditioner, brakes, cams and etc. It gives a good boost in mpg.
I agree. You'd be better off getting one of those turbo-like alternators to power your accessories than using a hydrogen generator.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:54 PM   #9
Registered Member

Matt, I'm a chemical

Matt,

I'm a chemical engineer and I am currently experimenting with a H2 generator, conducting controlled lab experiments with it. I installed it in my 1998 Ford Ranger this evening and I am moving into "phase II" to see if it does anything for my MPG. Unfortunatley, I can't afford a dyno for true controlled tests of the truck and will have to settle for real driving, with lots of data collection.

Right now, I am pessimistic about what type of results I will realize, but I'll just have to wait and see.
Capt Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:49 PM   #10
Driving on E

Re: Matt,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Pierce
Matt,

I'm a chemical engineer and I am currently experimenting with a H2 generator, conducting controlled lab experiments with it. I installed it in my 1998 Ford Ranger this evening and I am moving into "phase II" to see if it does anything for my MPG. Unfortunatley, I can't afford a dyno for true controlled tests of the truck and will have to settle for real driving, with lots of data collection.

Right now, I am pessimistic about what type of results I will realize, but I'll just have to wait and see.
Welcome aboard Captain

It would be best if you posted your results in the Experiment section of this forum. Simply create a new post detailing what you are doing and add results as you get them. It will be nice to have another person working with Hydrogen Generation.

If you don't mind, please start a thread here (in the h2 section) about your setup and what it is you are using.