Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
the INFINITE POWER OF VELCRO
CarloSW2
QFT!

omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:29 AM   #12
Registered Member

Keep the ideas coming, the only thing I see against solid state would be space. I would like to have some space to put audio and video(for showing off). Maybe I will do a small CF card for the Operating System and use a hard drive for any data I want.

I like the Velcro idea, I will have to see what the mount that comes with the lcd looks like, if it has any type of telescoping I may be able to incorporate it and be able to slide the screen off when need be.

As for ram, I can get more if need be. But I plan on running a very minimalistic Linux so it shouldn't be too taxing. I will attempt to get suspend to ram or suspend to disk working for quicker boot up times.

I like the idea of the graph with best vs current, would work nicely for daily commutes where everything is the same and I can see how much better I am doing. That may be a bit further down the road though since I have no idea how to create graphs and I would need to figure that out first .

Old 09-28-2007, 11:04 AM   #13
Registered Member

That sounds about right. Have the filesystem and log files on the CF card with your bigger audio/video files on the disk since if those get corrupted you can just repartition (assuming it's still usable) and yank 'em from your home system again. Boot times won't be an issue if you keep it minimalistic. I have a 450mhz PIII that boots as fast as a Sempron 3000+ because it doesn't have much in the way of startup services.

In terms of bins, you'd likely be fine going with a minimal install from Arch or Gentoo or *nix and openbox or xdm or whatever with the output from the OBD going to a script that can calculate whatever you want and toss it in log files for easy reading and display via conky. Graphs and figures regarding whatever you want to display.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 11:15 AM   #14
Registered Member

Tell you what, you get that installed and cant get a decent mpg log, just let me know and I'll hook you up, or at least talk you through it. I've got a 97sw2.

Dont forget the $10 webcam pointing backwards so you can shave off your mirrors trick (now that you can display it on something)
Old 09-28-2007, 12:28 PM   #15
Supporting Member

skewbe -

Quote:
Originally Posted by skewbe View Post
Tell you what, you get that installed and cant get a decent mpg log, just let me know and I'll hook you up, or at least talk you through it. I've got a 97sw2.

Dont forget the $10 webcam pointing backwards so you can shave off your mirrors trick (now that you can display it on something)
Ooooooh, that sounds cool!

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:46 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourthbean View Post
Keep the ideas coming, the only thing I see against solid state would be space. I would like to have some space to put audio and video(for showing off). Maybe I will do a small CF card for the Operating System and use a hard drive for any data I want.
If your laptop supports booting from USB, then you can get an 8gb thumb drive for less than $90.

Takes less space, no shock problems, removable, and takes less power and generates no heat. Then you can just mount the cable into the glove box or anywhere else accessible and can remove it to take it into the house, eliminating the need for wireless for the time-being. Get two, and you can swap OS's depending on your needs. :-) Sorry...just being a nerd with your money. But, seriously, for the $, I would stay away from the HDD if your laptop donor will boot from USB.

McIntyre's First Law: "Under the right circumstances, anything I tell you may be wrong."

O'Brien's First Corollary to McIntyre's First Law: "I don't know what the right circumstances are, either."

rvanengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:54 PM   #17
Registered Member

Yep, I see how the usb drive could be handy. But I already have a wireless adapter lying around doing nothing, hence the reason to use it. That would be a nice feature to have though, a usb port next to the lcd panel that anyone could plug into and I could play the files off of it .

You guys are really creative, I wish I had a brain that worked like that .

After looking I think I may stick with a desktop system for now. A laptop for 30 bucks is going to be slow and I am afraid of it being sluggish when browsing with the touchscreen. I may change to a more expensive (200) laptop later on, should be able to pick up a nice centrino with a broken screen for that much later on.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:59 AM   #18
Registered Member

I recieved both the lcd screen and OBDii adapter in the mail yesterday. I have been trying to install various programs on my brothers laptop that is running linux. The two that seem to work (haven't put the thing in my car yet) are diagtools (command line based which will from what I see give me the raw data of each channel), and then a java based app called jdash. Jdash is still in development, so it doesn't look too pretty.

I haven't even tried to look at any source code, as that is something I have never really done. May try in a few minutes here and see if I can make heads or tails of anything.

I am planning on using LinuxICE for my distribution of Linux. It has the NGhost front end already installed and is stripped down making for a snappy boot up time.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:48 PM   #19
Supporting Member

Fourthbean -

I'm waiting for some $$ to come in. When it does, I think I will get an elmscan too. I don't know if I will have a fancy setup like you, but I think I will at least use it for calibrating and testing of gizmos.

PS - Since you will have an extra ECU/PCM, so to speak, you will have the ability to *program* your mods. Based on sensor inputs, you will be in a position to turn on and off your gizmos!

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:41 PM   #20
Registered Member

Just had a uereka moment. I have an old UPS with a dead battery (Who doesn't?) and thought "what if I could use it as an inverter". As it does run off of 12 volts. I just did a quick google search and it seems there are some people that have done this succesfully.

I was going to buy a friends laptop with a bad screen, but it doesn't have any serial ports which would cost me another 15-20 bucks for usb adapters (both my elmscan and gps will be serial). And then having to mess with adapters and linux may end up a pain. Adds too many equations for my liking. The desktop I had originally planned on has two serial ports.

Maybe I can have my pc installed this week afterall, I was thinking it was going to be a while since I would have to order an inverter .