Car has been using a lot more gas lately - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2020, 01:36 AM   #1
Out of Fuel

Car has been using a lot more gas lately

I drive a nissan versa 2010 and recently ive noticed my car seems to be using double the fuel. I have been checking under my car for leaks and nothing also when i went for my oil change asked them to check the gas tank and they said it was fine, any other ideas of whats going on ?

giselegadot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 03:29 AM   #2
Registered Member

Check tyre pressures and check for binding brakes. The easiest way to check the brakes is to go for a run for a couple of miles. Try to avoid touching the brakes, especially when making your final stop. Then check the wheel centres (be careful as you can get a burn if one is binding). They should all be cold.

Old 03-19-2020, 05:48 AM   #3
Registered Member

After that, make sure all the maintenance is up to date, though I think problems with spark plugs and such would have the check engine light on.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:13 AM   #4
Registered Member

Just a thought but I had really poor mileage on a jeep and couldn't figure out why, changed plugs, ran some injector cleaner, air filter changed no luck. So I lived with it for a while, about 2months ago on a really cold morning I noticed that the vehicle wouldn't make temp, and as I drove faster the temp actually went down slightly. Default setting on a broken thermostat is "open" keeping coolant moving through the radiator. Changed the thermostat and voila mileage went up.
Rdh1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:55 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdh1223 View Post
Just a thought but I had really poor mileage on a jeep and couldn't figure out why, changed plugs, ran some injector cleaner, air filter changed no luck. So I lived with it for a while, about 2months ago on a really cold morning I noticed that the vehicle wouldn't make temp, and as I drove faster the temp actually went down slightly. Default setting on a broken thermostat is "open" keeping coolant moving through the radiator. Changed the thermostat and voila mileage went up.
Particularly if you do lots of short journeys or live in an area of particularly low temperatures. Jazz has a blue light which stays on until the engine heats up (red if it goes over temperature). I don't even put the heating on until my blue light goes out.
Old 06-17-2020, 08:42 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giselegadot3 View Post
I drive a nissan versa 2010 and recently ive noticed my car seems to be using double the fuel 8 ball pool. I have been checking under my car for leaks and nothing also when i went for my oil change asked them to check the gas tank and they said it was fine, any other ideas of whats going on ?
One thing to check is the pcv valve. Its really easy to check and it will cause increased fuel consumption if its bad. Its a little device on the top left hand side of the engine with a hose attached to it. Unclamp the hose and unscrew the valve. Shake the valve and listen for it to make a rattling sound. If it doesn't rattle, install a new one.

justinhill is offline   Reply With Quote