Car Heaven Canadian program. Emissions - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-08-2007, 06:39 PM   #1
Registered Member

Car Heaven Canadian program. Emissions

This was a recent press release. Most of the older cars they are talking about are cars we drive daily. I know they can't have my Metro.

The Clean Air Foundation developed the Car Heaven program in 2000 to encourage Canadians to retire their old, higher polluting vehicles and to ensure that these vehicles are recycled in the most environmentally responsible manner possible. In May 2005, GM of Canada partnered with the Clean Air Foundation to offer eligible Car Heaven donors $1,000 towards the purchase of a new GM vehicle. This partnership has proven to be a strong and valuable alliance. Participation in Car Heaven has more than tripled and the impact on the environment has been significant.

Through the Car Heaven program, in 2006 alone, more than 16,000 older vehicles were replaced with new GM vehicles. The emissions of these more than 16,000 old vehicles are equal to the emissions of more than 320,000 new vehicles that have new advanced emission technologies. In that same year, the program prevented the release of 8,710 tons of carbon monoxide, 2,105 tons of smog-forming emissions and 26,910 tons of greenhouse gas emissions.

Remember this the next time you up your A/F ratio to the point you flame throw your convertor.

minic6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 06:43 PM   #2
*shrug*

Of course it is GM, they need to cover their butts when their cars don't last so long as everyone else's,

Interesting program though...do any other makes do it?

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 06:53 PM   #3
Registered Member

I love those kinds of statments. So anti american do you realize alot of the cars you want from other countries are owned by the big three? Or partners with asian comanys? What about toyotas civic minded trucks and soon to be suv's?

As to other programs like Canadas. It was stopped here because we like our classic cars.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:57 PM   #4
*shrug*

I was only making fun of GM, if you think GM = the US, then there is something wrong...
Old 06-08-2007, 07:19 PM   #5
Registered Member

I consider that american industry = the US
In my hummble opinion we are becoming a service oriented society. We buy from all over the world, which is a two edged sword. Yes asian car makers are now building in the US, but the money doesn't stay here. Same with all the chinese things we are buying. I would really like to see all those in your age bracket and younger have the same chances my generation has had. Now having grandchildren and such it is a worry. We bash the US industries and sometimes they deserve it. We buy from other places in the world and we are slowly cutting our own throats. We use to have an electronics industry right here in the US. Were are they now? We sold them out for asian cheapies. And in the beginning they were. I remember the days of biodegradible Hondas and Toyotas too. But they improved because people continued to support their efforts. I'm not telling you to run out and buy American to save the USA. Sometimes we seem not to want to be saved. Just remember the consequenses. We would have a horrible time restarting a electronics industry here. Believe it or not the big 3 keep a ton of people in work directly our indirectly. I hope for our economy's sake they get it together. I would not hesitate to recommend any car makers product, because they have become that good. No yugo's anymore.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:26 PM   #6
*shrug*

I don't really think industry = country of origin, at least not in a "capitalist" society, so I guess we differ there.

Also, I wonder at why it is so bad to let money go other places. Are we in it for the good of all or is it completely selfish? It comes up in my college in particular the fact that the international students are "Stealing" US education to help their own countries, and how bad this is...I feel like our education is good, so they come here, and we have people we would never have had otherwise...but it's all about how you look at it. I count it as one of my opportunity's that I will be at a japanese college all summer, and possibly for grad school and life. For me, that opportunity is a much better one than building electronics in the US. It's all about perspective, I spose.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:11 AM   #7
Supporting Member

SVOboy -

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
I don't really think industry = country of origin, at least not in a "capitalist" society, so I guess we differ there.

Also, I wonder at why it is so bad to let money go other places. Are we in it for the good of all or is it completely selfish? It comes up in my college in particular the fact that the international students are "Stealing" US education to help their own countries, and how bad this is...I feel like our education is good, so they come here, and we have people we would never have had otherwise...but it's all about how you look at it. I count it as one of my opportunity's that I will be at a japanese college all summer, and possibly for grad school and life. For me, that opportunity is a much better one than building electronics in the US. It's all about perspective, I spose.
When I was in college, my Egyptian friend complained that he was paying $4,000 per quarter while I was paying less than $1,500. I asked him if his parents paid U.S. taxes all those year we were both growing up. He didn't make a peep.

Soooooo, I think they are paying their way in the American Universities. They are paying alot.

I would rather have an old-school tariff based system. I would apply tit-for-tat tarrifs. If the Japanese economy charges stiff surcharges to bring cars into the Japanese car market, we should do the same. At this point in time, I agree with everything that Thom Hartmann is saying (http://www.thomhartmann.com/).

I don't have a U.S.-centric world view. I have an international humanistic POV. If "we" hurt people, we gotta be stopped. If "they" hurt people, we gotta stop 'em. But that's not how nations (have ever) work(ed).

If the "big three" were really American in a truly patriotic way, they would have been fighting for high MPG cars long ago.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 02:13 AM   #8
Supporting Member

minic6 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by minic6 View Post
I consider that american industry = the US
In my hummble opinion we are becoming a service oriented society. We buy from all over the world, which is a two edged sword. Yes asian car makers are now building in the US, but the money doesn't stay here. Same with all the chinese things we are buying. I would really like to see all those in your age bracket and younger have the same chances my generation has had. Now having grandchildren and such it is a worry. We bash the US industries and sometimes they deserve it. We buy from other places in the world and we are slowly cutting our own throats. We use to have an electronics industry right here in the US. Were are they now? We sold them out for asian cheapies. And in the beginning they were. I remember the days of biodegradible Hondas and Toyotas too. But they improved because people continued to support their efforts. I'm not telling you to run out and buy American to save the USA. Sometimes we seem not to want to be saved. Just remember the consequenses. We would have a horrible time restarting a electronics industry here. Believe it or not the big 3 keep a ton of people in work directly our indirectly. I hope for our economy's sake they get it together. I would not hesitate to recommend any car makers product, because they have become that good. No yugo's anymore.
As I say over and over, I own a Saturn because it was Union made by Americans with good jobs. At the time, it was also the "best GM could do" from an MPG POV, IMO. It was never the best car for my money, but I feel good about where my money went :

Attachment 545

I want the big 3 to keep alot of Americans employed as well, but they are doing a terrible job in the USA. I don't care if they gorged themselves on SUVs when gas was cheap, but they are idiots for not adapting to the times and putting efficient cars in their lots. Isn't that what those brain-dead CEOs are mega-paid to do? How stupid can you get? Honda/Nissan/Toyota brought the Fit/Versa/Yaris to the USA. The big 3 have the drivetrains in other countries, so bring them here!!!!!

CarloSW2
Attached Images

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 04:24 AM   #9
Registered Member

Give them time. Things are in the pipe. Where did Saturn's new car come from? The Astra came from Europe. It isn't an SUV and it is a pretty good all around car. Decent mileage, not stellar, but in the right direction. Money has been in big vehicles not small. Other wise Honda would not be building the Ridgeline and Toyota would not be building the Tundra! We are a capitalistic society for good or bad. When you are looking at the possibility of lossing ones job you tend to look at things differently. And yes the big 3 could use some work on there CEO's, and it looks like it's begginig to. I don't like how fat US cars are getting either, but people keep buying them. The best selling car in the US isn't a FE car in my opinion, (Camary) we make up a very small part of the car buying puplic. Until people change the auto industry won't either, again look at what Honda and Toyota are starting to build and plan. Enjoy your trip to Japan and have fun with their cars, bring me back a 600CC engine will ya. LOL
Old 06-09-2007, 06:08 AM   #10
Registered Member

in alberta we have the same or similar conversations. we have been blessed with a lot of natural resources, yet we lose money because we ship everything out of the province and then have to buy the manufactured goods back, at a higher cost.

boofighter is offline   Reply With Quote