cash for clunkers - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-10-2009, 11:40 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
It would be impossible to create something entirely tamper-proof. Tamper-resistant, backed up by sharp-toothed laws, would do the job well enough. There's plenty of motive for odometer tampering as it is now, but the practice doesn't seem common.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:54 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Well, so much for my idea of cheap SUVs. The vehicles turned in for the rebate are to have the engine and transmissions pulled and destroyed. Beyond that they are to be scrapped as normal.

Not that I see many of them in the yards anyways(oddly enough, they grow on trees on the roads here) but I don't think my Durango scrap parts with be easy or cheap much longer

Old 06-11-2009, 07:18 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
The 25 year thing protects against antiques now, but doesn't protect tomorrow's antiques.

I am not yet convinced that tomorrow's antiques will be any newer vintage than today's.
'09 Harley Nightster - 48mpg and 1/4 miles in the 12's
jcp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:46 AM   #14
Registered Member

guy I work with has a 8 passenger van. could be a 12 but he doesn't have the back seat.

it qualifies for this but like he said, it's worth more with a traditional trade it or sell it yourself than they are willing to give.

plus, it's paid off and still runs good. he also has 4 children

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:28 AM   #15
Registered Member

Soooo.... do we all really think they will be destroyed, or do you think the Gov't will be selling the vehicles/engines/trannys to chop shops who will become fat-cats off selling parts for quadruple markup in price.

I don't really see this as a good thing. A lot of american workers make a living off seeling old parts. This bill will effectively remove a few dozen vehicles from America's history books. Think of the thousands of dollars being lost by parts stores and the jobs being lost by mechanics.

I'm not so sure this is a good thing.

When you really think about it, those getting less than 18 combined are probably more inclined to stay at home rather than drive around wasting gas. You give them $4,000 and take their clunker off their hands, they'll go buy a Cavalier and drive everywhere, just for the hell of it.... or mostly due to paying $20 to fill your Cavalier up twice in a month is less noticeable than paying $40 to fill it up a GMC Safari once per month.

I see no benefit here.
'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:34 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project84 View Post
You give them $4,000 and take their clunker off their hands, they'll go buy a Cavalier and drive everywhere, just for the hell of it.... or mostly due to paying $20 to fill your Cavalier up twice in a month is less noticeable than paying $40 to fill it up a GMC Safari once per month.
That is a problem with efficiency standards that economists often cite. Make something cheaper and people tend to do it more.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:38 AM   #17
Registered Member

you have to buy a new car to get the credit (can't buy a new cavalier, and I know, the cobalt is the new cavalier)

the short term is that it gives the car industry a boost and the long run idea is to get the larger vehicles off the road even though you are probably right about the long run not happening the way they feel like it should.

the government has a stake in the auto industry now so they are concerned about the short term (which this bill will boost) and the long run goals will hopefully make the public think that they are trying to save the planet/go green/give more confidence in alternative fuels.

most of that is my opinion but many share it.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:57 AM   #18
Registered Member

I think a cash for clunkers bill definitely can have a place, as long as expectations aren't unrealistic. The idea that there will be a serious black market in supposedly destroyed parts seems a little paranoid.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:58 AM   #19
Registered Member

^^^I don't think it'll be a black market. I think the gov't will sell the vehicles to junkyards/chop shops. Lets face it, not everyone is going to turn in their clunker. So the people keeping them still need replacement parts.

Oh, I must've read over it too quickly and didn't realize it "had" to be a new car. I did see where they put a cap on the purchase of a car at $35k, but I didn't catch the part about it being a new car.

Hell, I wish I had a clunker then... I'd grab a Yaris sedan in a heartbeat. Finance $10k and payments would be like $250/mon. Practical.

I do think it's worth getting all the Astro/Safari/Expedition/Yukon/Suburban type vehicles off the road that are daily driven by 1 person commuting to work. That's just inefficeincy at its finest.
'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:08 AM   #20
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I am not yet convinced that tomorrow's antiques will be any newer vintage than today's.
It's a generational thing. To me, classics include a 1985 Monte Carlo SS, a 1993 Cadillac Deville, almost any Eldorado or STS, any Buick Grand National, or a 2002 Camaro SS is a classic (why can't I come up with other manufacturers' stuff? I know it's there.).

There's plenty of other examples, but those are the first ones that come to my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project84 View Post
Soooo.... do we all really think they will be destroyed, or do you think the Gov't will be selling the vehicles/engines/trannys to chop shops who will become fat-cats off selling parts for quadruple markup in price.
I don't think they'd get away with it unless it's made into law and done out in the open. Keep in mind, "out in the open" doesn't mean it's publicized, just that it's on the books and not kept secret.

Quote:
When you really think about it, those getting less than 18 combined are probably more inclined to stay at home rather than drive around wasting gas. You give them $4,000 and take their clunker off their hands, they'll go buy a Cavalier and drive everywhere, just for the hell of it.... or mostly due to paying $20 to fill your Cavalier up twice in a month is less noticeable than paying $40 to fill it up a GMC Safari once per month.
I don't see that happening enough to nullify the purported benefits. As mentioned above, you aren't giving them cash to buy a used car, you're subsidizing a new car purchase; people who buy a new car (even a subsidized one) typically aren't limited to less driving by their gas budget.

The only people who would just drive everywhere for the hell of it are people who enjoy driving just for the hell of it. If they enjoyed it in a big ineffcient car, they're probably not going to enjoy it in a small efficient car. Even if they do they were likely to already do as much of it as they wanted before.

I used to enjoy driving just for the hell of it. My 14mpg car (1987 Cadillac Deville) didn't discourage me from doing so. When I got a much more efficient car (1997 Pontiac Grand Am) I didn't even track my fuel economy and didn't drive any more than I did before. These days I don't enjoy driving just for the hell of it, and I wouldn't expect that to change even if I had my favorite car.