cash for clunkers - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2009, 05:11 AM   #21
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project84 View Post
I do think it's worth getting all the Astro/Safari/Expedition/Yukon/Suburban type vehicles off the road that are daily driven by 1 person commuting to work. That's just inefficeincy at its finest.
Actually, Astros are very good work vehicles. They're tougher than common minivans and probably more efficient than a full-size cargo van, and they can tow decently. Do people commute in them? They're quite ugly and don't carry the false machismo of an SUV.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:29 AM   #22
Site Team / Moderator

Sometimes I take my Buick out for a weekend drive in the mountains, just for the he** of it. Pleasure cruises are limited due to the expense though... Maybe I will do it more often once I get the TC locking again though...

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:00 AM   #23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
It's a generational thing. To me, classics include a 1985 Monte Carlo SS, a 1993 Cadillac Deville, almost any Eldorado or STS, any Buick Grand National, or a 2002 Camaro SS is a classic (why can't I come up with other manufacturers' stuff? I know it's there.).
Hmm interesting point...out of curiosity, how old are you?
'09 Harley Nightster - 48mpg and 1/4 miles in the 12's
jcp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:27 AM   #24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilian View Post
That is a problem with efficiency standards that economists often cite. Make something cheaper and people tend to do it more.
i've pointed this out as well in another thread. of course they'll drive more w/ a more efficient vehicle. the issue w/ that gentleman's POV is that by advocating a gas tax increase, he is forgetting about low income earners.

he cites a legit cents per mile point, but taxing struggling people more w/ paid for gas guzzlers makes no sense. and in regard to emissions, i've seen some terribly smoking econo boxes. from the original cited source...

WASHINGTON (CNNMoney.com) -- The House on Tuesday waded deeper into the rescue of the troubled auto industry when it passed a $4 billion plan to subsidize new cars sales for consumers who scrap old ones.

highlight "NEW CAR SALES." i can't afford a new one, and i'm better off than most. so tax me MORE? get a clue!
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:29 AM   #25
Registered Member

Rebate is the standard suggestion on how to handle lower income gas users. I didn't mean to go off topic, I just wanted Project84 to know (if he didn't already) that his concern that greater efficiency will result in greater driving is common.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:39 AM   #26
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilian View Post
Rebate is the standard suggestion on how to handle lower income gas users. I didn't mean to go off topic, I just wanted Project84 to know (if he didn't already) that his concern that greater efficiency will result in greater driving is common.
and your point is valid. i edited my previous post a bit.

to cut to the chase...i gave yet another post in another thread describing my company prez's state of the company address...

he said we(food delivery) are doing ok BECAUSE gas is no longer $4/gal. he said if it reaches that again and stays, layoffs will be unavoidable.

so, now the low income earner in the eat-out food industry gets hit twice and middle incomes earners are hit as well. snow ball affect.

i believe "raising taxes" discussions are for those that really aren't in touch w/ the reality of everyday struggles of everyday working people, PERIOD.

will cash for clunkers work? if it stimulates car sales and lowers oil dependancy, i'm all for it. just don't tell me when it fails, that the next course of action is to raise taxes!
Old 06-12-2009, 09:01 AM   #27
Registered Member

I think that the initial affects of it will be positive. the auto industry will have some sales and the overall MPG of everyone will go up but it has also been thrown out that this may take the place of your everyday rebates. as a person that doesn't own a car that qualifies, I would be hosed when the time came to get a new vehicle.

it is also important to note that it is only for a short period of time or when the money runs out. the money....someone has to give that money to the gov't in order for this bill to even be an idea.

Hi, my name is John Q. Public. I pay taxes and I may be helping you buy a car.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:43 AM   #28
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
someone has to give that money to the gov't in order for this bill to even be an idea.
No they don't, we just print more and more of it and what we can't print enough to make we borrow and add it to the existing deficit. It's easy to come up with unlimited funds when you don't care!
Old 06-12-2009, 12:04 PM   #29
Registered Member

true, but when inflation is created, that is an indirect form of taxation. my concern is if the foolishness you speak of continues, HYPERinflation will be the result.

many of us that are responsible are "hanging on" now, but introduce this into the equation, well...you know.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:21 PM   #30
Registered Member

you are sooo right.

like many other things, the more of a certain thing there is, the less it is worth. money is no different. print more and the value goes down. just circulate as much as you can before people find out that is what you did.

hyper inflation is coming. we are already feeling the affects of the devalued dollar. we are being protected right now because of the recession (or whatever) once the economy is better (or at least deemed as so) we will see the full blown affects. that isn't a prediction, that's lessons learned from history.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote