Challenge you to help me figure out what to do for this terrible commute! - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2008, 01:21 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman321 View Post
...but commuting on a motorcycle with all the distracted drivers and congestion is not my idea of a good morning.
Personally, as a motorcyclist, I'd struggle with that in DC. Such an old area of the country, the roads are just congested because of a couple centuries of building, original terrain, and a city that is home to the government, military, etc. It's scary enough in a car.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:02 PM   #12
Registered Member

I am overwhelmed by the great ideas that you have provided. I believe that I can strike some balance.

Thicker 2 row radiator, walmart hubcaps, Pepboys tires, 10w 30 Castrol HM, Jensen CD player, Roadmaster speakers, ebay hi-flow air filter, autolite 3924 plugs, stant superstat, NGK blue 8mm wires, LeBra car bra, no Exhaust Manifold heat shield, MX-3 Seats, bad A/C compressor
jj94auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:13 PM   #13
Registered Member

It might look stupid, but like they do in Japan...wear a face mask...like a surgeon. Make sure you wash your hands ASAP as you get off the train.
2002 Air Box Mod...Air Tabs (5) on Roof...(3)each behind rear windows
Partial Grill Block with Custom Air Scoop and 3" Open Catback Exhaust
Lambretta UNO150cc 4 Stroke Scooter

DarbyWalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:50 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarbyWalters View Post
It might look stupid, but like they do in Japan...wear a face mask...like a surgeon. Make sure you wash your hands ASAP as you get off the train.
The fun part about that here is that is they'll probably figure you've got something contagious and clear the carriage.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:10 PM   #15
Registered Member

Well, you could try thinking "inside the box" regarding your living arrangements...
http://www.ge.com/imaginationtheater...eryday/cubicle

Good luck,
Bill
Nrggeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:29 PM   #16
Registered Member

you might try looking for better routes. I mean taking unbeaten streets. it may be slower than interstate, but it'll keep the backup away. of course, I don't know anything about DC, but you could try to look for ways with less congestion. maybe even get a gps that gives directions.
-Becoming the Archetype
thecheese429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:32 AM   #17
Supporting Member

SD26 and jj94auto -

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD26 View Post
Ouch!

Friend of mine lives in Fredrick, north of DC, and works in DC as a contractor too.

I don't know if there are good answers. Does a different starting location offer better options?

Have you tried Airborn or whatever to keep from getting colds on the train?

Can you set up your business so that you work four long days vs five regular days? On line meetings?
I was thinking of Airborne too. It was developed by a schoolteacher :

About Airborne
http://www.airbornehealth.com/about_index.php
Quote:
Airborne is the best-selling herbal health formula that boosts your immune system to help your body combat germs. It was created by a former second-grade school teacher, Victoria Knight-McDowell, who was constantly exposed to germs in her classroom.

I also use a cough drop called "Fisherman's Friend". It's like an Altoid on Steroids. While I can't prove it, I think it "protects" my throat when I am in a group of people :

Fisherman's Friend
http://www.fishermansfriend.com/

You don't want to overdose on it. I overdid it at one point. I was talking it all day long and I think I hurt my throat for awhile. But, one per train trip is fine. Is your "train-time" longer than 1 hour one way?

This won't work for flu bugs, but I think it is relevant to "protecting yrou health" during your commute. In Asian countries you see people with face masks to protect themselves from air pollution. I tried this to protect myself on my freeway drive, but it is too hot to wear for a long drive. Instead, I compromised and got these nose filter plug things :

BreathePure Nasal Air Filter
http://www.breathepurenap.com/

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:34 AM   #18
Supporting Member

RoadWarrior -

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
The fun part about that here is that is they'll probably figure you've got something contagious and clear the carriage.
Yup. Who cares what they think if you can avoid the flu, .

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:22 AM   #19
Registered Member

Oh, anyone with Ragweed allergies, avoid anything with Echinacea in it like the plague, such as that airborne original formula... damn near killed myself trying to ward off cold season...
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:04 AM   #20
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
I am sure this is also being done by others but changing the time that you go to work may change the traffic even if you drove 1 hour earlier you may save time driving and then could at least save that wasted time in the car doing something else in the city. Motorcycle is too dangerious in that much traffic - you could do better on a power assisted bike at 10 miles an hour even a bicycle would get you there faster. For the train you need a motorized air filter maybe with UV light to kill the bugs in the air you are breathing.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote