Changed oil to 0W20 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2010, 12:36 PM   #1
Registered Member

Changed oil to 0W20

Hi all,
Changed last week to 0W20 oil. Don't know where I'm coming from, as the previous maintenance was done in a Honda workshop (previous owner).
0W20 is the thinnest allowed oil in this car and is also the factor fill. I bought the original Honda branded 0W20.
If I see any noticable changes in FE, I will briefly post it here.

i-DSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:42 PM   #2
Registered Member

just FYI, for those of us in warmer climates, i would never use a 20 weight oil during summer months. you may be fine w/ it where you are, however.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:24 PM   #3
Registered Member

Newer Honda's and Ford's recommend 5w20 all year around, in any climate.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:26 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slurp812 View Post
True. My friends Fit calls for that and he uses the AFE 0w-20 from Mobil1.

Aside from this, I wish I could find some information about oil that a professor released and some other forum had it posted when I was researching last summer, comparing the 2 numbers for each grade of oil. It broke down what either of them meant and how they perform at certain temps, conventional to synthetic comps as well. It was really fascinating.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
Site Team / Moderator

Back in the "old days" when it was common to switch oil weights between summer & winter (I used to use 10W40 in summer, and 10W30 in the winter in my Regal) I'd say yes. Modern Synthetics are not prone to the viscosity breakdown that the old dino juice oils experienced20 years ago. Unless you're driving it through the Sahara dessert I wouldn't worry about it.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:49 AM   #6
Registered Member

Yeah, the 20 and 30 on the label make seem like there's a big difference, but the actual measured viscosity is close. At 100C, the Mobil 0w-20 and 0w-30 viscosity is 8.6 and 11 centistrokes. Now the gap is much larger at the cold tested temp of 40C, or 104F; 45.5 and 63.1. Which likely grows larger at real world start up temperatures.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:20 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slurp812 View Post
i don't trust manufacturers to protect my best interest...http://www.smartsynthetics.com/articles/5w20oil.htm

i've heard this before from a master mechanic/consumer advocate. to be sure, mild climates may be fine. that said, why would you go 0w20 when 0w30 is available, and it's a better lube?

btw, that site endorses Amsoil, but since Amsoil sells a 0w20, i'd think the bias to be non-existent.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:32 PM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Some manufacturers have very long warranties...I trust that their oil recommendation was figured by their engineers to prevent failures during the long warranty period.

Since I've never had a vehicle suffer a failure that could have been prevented by different oil products/habits, have never known anyone who has, and asked a million times on forums but received only two third-hand stories, it is my determination that manufacturers' recommendations are good enough.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:18 PM   #9
Registered Member

I ran Amsoil Signature 0W20 in my old '02 Chevy Blazer as well as in my '10 Cube that I drive now. I put over 30k miles on the Blazer in the heart of summer here in Florida without an issue. I'm already 8k+ miles into the Amsoil on my Cube, again with no issues.

I don't suspect I'll encounter any issues either due to running 20 weight oil in the heat.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:25 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Some manufacturers have very long warranties...I trust that their oil recommendation was figured by their engineers to prevent failures during the long warranty period.

Since I've never had a vehicle suffer a failure that could have been prevented by different oil products/habits, have never known anyone who has, and asked a million times on forums but received only two third-hand stories, it is my determination that manufacturers' recommendations are good enough.
I do agree with this assessment, unless you are dealing with a badly cared for engine that in truth needs to be internally cleaned and re-manufactured to spec etc. Some choose to change their oil weight for more or less reasons related to this, some in an attempt to stop losing oil between changes. Usually, its a way to mask wear or weak seals losing more oil from blow-by. Other times, folks try to play with the weather, but regardless of outside air conditions at start up, what is the temp of your engine mid-summer? Unless you are in a sub-90 degree climate for sure or always above, IMO just stick to the last number being set. Play with the first some if you want.

Personally, I have seen some improvement in MPG using the Mobil1 AFE 0w-30 for my Stratus, though it was my first full synthetic and hey, it doesn't cost more than their regular 5w-30; which is what the manufacturer recommends. I don't think a Honda or any Japanese auto stands to gain as much with the 0w products over any other synthetic. Unless, we are talking FE driving and going long intervals. AFE probably holds up 2nd longest behind the best oils, i.e. "EP" labeled versions.