Cheap "collectible?" Gassaver vehicles - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2007, 11:27 AM   #31
Registered Member

I'm anxious to see what kind of gas mileage I get out of my Honda S600. I read somewhere it's supposed to get about 30 mpg. You'd think a 606cc 4 cylinder would do a little better than that. But then again, it does have quad carbs.

smithenhiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:14 PM   #32
Supporting Member

QDM -

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDM View Post
Karmen Ghia.

Back in the 70s I had a 57 Karmen Ghia that got 35 to 40 mpg. It was a rather crude little car with very little useable room but I put a lot of miles on it with little mechanical trouble. I bought it for $200, drove it for 3 years, then sold it for $500.

BTW, the car didn't even come with a fuel gage, instead it had a reserve valve like a motorcycle.

Q
In LA in 1985 a Ghia in really good condition was $2,500. Getting one without a bondo nose today would be nigh impossible.

When you need room, just take out the passenger seat (I remember it being pretty easy, no bolts, just rails)!

My Dad's 1971 Ghia had a fuel gauge. Big difference between 1957 and 1971, though.

If you don't care about the Aerodyanimcs, go with a classic VW Beetle, since it's the same drivetrain.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:19 PM   #33
Registered Member

Karmann Ghia

Theres a KG Collector club in town and had a really nice one on display at a car show 2 summers ago. My wife fell in love with it instantly, and she spotted one at a used-car dealer by her work (this was about a year ago). I also liked the design, so I went and took a look at it. The poor thing probably sat in the same place for 15 years as the tires were rotted in the ground and it was rusted beyond belief. It ran, but needed a something vital (forget). It still had the 1988 Missouri registration sticker, which led me to believe that's when it was given up on.

Finding a decent one is indeed tough. It would've been a serious project and talent that I don't have

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
QDM -

In LA in 1985 a Ghia in really good condition was $2,500. Getting one without a bondo nose today would be nigh impossible.

When you need room, just take out the passenger seat (I remember it being pretty easy, no bolts, just rails)!

My Dad's 1971 Ghia had a fuel gauge. Big difference between 1957 and 1971, though.

If you don't care about the Aerodyanimcs, go with a classic VW Beetle, since it's the same drivetrain.

CarloSW2
Old 04-09-2007, 03:16 PM   #34
Registered Member

haha u mean this:

thats my dads he got done restoring a few years ago. the interior isnt quite done. its a 1960 VW Karmin Ghia
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:24 PM   #35
Supporting Member

VetteOwner -

Beatiful pix. Did he make the "tube bumpers" himself? The chrome emblem is spotless.

I miss my (Dad's) Ghia, *sigh*.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:11 PM   #36
Registered Member

yea he did but they are gone and he got some plastic ones that he modified to go over the pipe bumpers. it looks a whole lot better now.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:54 PM   #37
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sludgy View Post
Saab Sonett Mark II. They were powered by a Ford V-4, and they looked great.
1500, bored .040 over with Ford Taunus pistons, hardened valve seats, F44 grind (high lift, high duration) cam, lighter weight hydraulic followers, larger valves, opened exhaust ports, 2 inch headers, Holley square choke two barrel (mechanical secondary) on Ford intake, electric fan, electric fuel pump, electronic ignition, cruise control, free-wheel functional.
Handles like a pig. Too much weight up front, about 70%. That means each rear tire carries a load of only 270 lbs! Still trying tires to balance the initial understeer to terminal oversteer issue. Presently with 195-60-15s on front with 165-78-15 on the rear. I think 185-70 all round might work best. Top speed is about 125 mph, but I get right around 35 mpg tank after tank.
Will consider selling it.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:15 PM   #38
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
with the BMW engine, it requires syn-oil, and the filter is the paper-type that's a real buggah to replace.
Actually, until the 2007 model year, the MINI's engine was made by Chrysler in Brazil. The 2007 MINIs have a Peugeot-BMW engine, much better and also smoother.

REAL Minis have an A-Series engine with three main bearings
1966 Peugeot 404 Coupe Injection
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:18 PM   #39
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
Actually, until the 2007 model year, the MINI's engine was made by Chrysler in Brazil. The 2007 MINIs have a Peugeot-BMW engine, much better and also smoother.

REAL Minis have an A-Series engine with three main bearings
Wow -- thanks for the correction. I knew it was Brazilian, but Chrysler -- zoinks. No offense to any fans. It has had some problems...
Old 04-09-2007, 09:46 PM   #40
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
Quote:
Anyone got ideas of a car that can be found for..........lets say under $12kUSD - US legal - over 30MPG - stylish (ones own opinion I guess). Let the ideas flow.....I won't limit this to cars as there are things like the old Crosley trucks that are neat IMO.
Triumph Spitfire. You an pick them up in relatively good condition for a few grand, but a fully restored one can fetch about $6-8k.

The GT6 comes close to the economy you're looking for, but it was built more for the racetrack than for economy. They're also getting pretty rare these days.

Sometimes you can score a Lotus Europa in fair condition for under $10k. These get over 30 mpg and 0-60 mph ~7 seconds!

Also very rare but sometimes affordable, a Ginetta G4. 40+ mpg. FAST.

The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote