Cheap "collectible?" Gassaver vehicles - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-08-2007, 05:55 AM   #1

Cheap "collectible?" Gassaver vehicles

This was a reply of another thread, but I figure it has the possibility of a complete hijack as it is worthy of its own thread.

I keep thinking more and more of antique microcars/subcompacts or even something such as the Beat.

Pros:
Great mileage
Super attention getter
Little if no depreciation

Cons:
Getting parts for some models
Getting PROPER insurance

I could go on and on with the pros and cons, but IMO, if you had the money and automotive knowledge (just in case it were to break down) I'd like search for something like that. I remember seeing a restored B210 for something like $6kUSD - a great price for something that gets decent mileage, is considered an antique, reliable, retro etc.

Anyone got ideas of a car that can be found for..........lets say under $12kUSD - US legal - over 30MPG - stylish (ones own opinion I guess). Let the ideas flow.....I won't limit this to cars as there are things like the old Crosley trucks that are neat IMO.

BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 06:49 AM   #2
Driving on E

I'm biased towards the honda n600. There are two on ebay right now. You can buy a completely restored one for way under 10k every so often.

Or get a classic mini-cooper. Love those cars.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 07:32 AM   #3
Registered Member

Slightly off-topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion View Post
I'm biased towards the honda n600. There are two on ebay right now. You can buy a completely restored one for way under 10k every so often.

Or get a classic mini-cooper. Love those cars.
Slightly off-topic (sorry ) but have we had any members with Minis?

My Wife's friend is selling her '04 Cooper 5-speed and reports tanks in the 40's with a normal driving style. It's not the "S", but it's a blast to drive. The only downside is servicing it -- with the BMW engine, it requires syn-oil, and the filter is the paper-type that's a real buggah to replace. It's also had its fair share of Gremlins. Unfortunately (right now) it's out of my price range but didn't know how "hyper-milable" it would be. They're selling it for a Civic or Accord for a little one on the way.

Back on-topic, the original Cooper was indeed brilliant. I wonder if they sold any in Left-hand-drive Countries like France -- I've only seen a couple RHD ones around here.

RH77
Old 04-08-2007, 07:40 AM   #4
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
Back on-topic, the original Cooper was indeed brilliant. I wonder if they sold any in Left-hand-drive Countries like France -- I've only seen a couple RHD ones around here.

RH77
I've seen a few LHD vehicles. You can also convert a RHD to LHD. The original LHD vehicles are definately more rare than the RHD.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 09:37 AM   #5

No problem being off topic.

When I lived in Germany my buddy had a LHD one. What I couldn't believe was how roomy that thing was on the inside, but the Brits are great with that - EXAMPLE - The phone booth in Dr.Who is much bigger in the inside than it is on the outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
Slightly off-topic (sorry ) but have we had any members with Minis?

RH77
Old 04-08-2007, 11:08 AM   #6
Registered Member

How about a Plymouth Scamp/Dodge Rampage:
Attachment 343

My dad almost bought me a Rampage about a year ago. Front wheel drive & 4 speed tranny . Poor crash test rating though .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1983PlymouthScamp.jpg
Views:	868
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	298  
Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:10 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
the other day I saw a Subaru Brat that was in mint condition, compleat with the rear facing bucket seats, it was tiny! 4 wheel drive, and looked like it would be awsome to drive! altho they apparently only get 30mpg at best, I would think you could do an engine swap to fuel injection and improve that.
I have a '83 civic that I'm waiting for the weather to get warmer, I realized the other day that it's about the same size and shape as out Geo Metro.
I would say that a N600 would top my list of a cute fuel efficent collectable vehicle.
I know it's not as classy looking, but a King Midget would be awsome as well, powered by a 10HP Wisconsin engine and a two speed automatic belt drive.
another one is the HMV FreeWay, 80mpg three wheeler, came in gas or a diesel option, I passed one up a few years back for around $1,000.
Tomarrow we are going to look at a ComutaCar, 1980 two seater, 50mph top speed, 40mile range electric car (4 wheels).

I personaly think that having fuel efficent vehicles that stand out is a good thing, put a little tag on it, and take it to car shows, get people who are in to cars wanting more then just speed.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:14 PM   #8
Registered Member

Wow, I've never seen a Brat before, but do they ever look cool!

Attachment 344
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	truck15_big.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	299  
Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:21 PM   #9

We've got some great ideas going! Rampage and Brat are among some of my favorites. The later Brats with T-Tops are even cooler. I seriously contimplated a Rampage a few months ago when I went to a car show/swap meet and saw one for sale.

I think if I ran across a nice one that was minty fresh I'd be very temped to get it - if the price was of this world, but I'm know to pay too much when I want a quality item.

Ahh, the King Midget. I was looking a tone on eBay the other day. N600 and Mini are for sure cool too. I think these will catch on as gas prices soar. I was thinking some of the old Toyota Coronas too, late 60's.
GREAT IDEAS, keep em coming.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:52 PM   #10
Registered Member

Anything old and small. Insert efficient engine/box of choice.

omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote