Cheapest gas in the country - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-13-2007, 06:13 PM   #11
Tuggin at the surly bonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnFocus View Post
I really enjoy watching the prices jump up and down several times a day based on speculation and world events . Maybe the grocery stores and restaurants should do the same (oopsie OT ! my apologies for beginning a rant )
Yeah, I used to believe that the speculation was about what the media say is the fear that terrorism will disrupt the oil supply lines...but when has that ever happened? No, the speculation is about whether world events will cause speculation in the oil market itself that the money is made in the short term buying and selling crude. In the end, gas station owners raise their prices to whatever they think their local market will bear. Judging by how many obese trucks pass me at WOT, I think the local market is still growing.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:11 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
I don't want to fill up anymore...
I know what you mean Red: even with my car I feel the same. This is seriously getting expensive. The cheapest price inside the city here is $1.109 CDN per litre or around $3.793 US$ per US gallon. That's a lot for even my fuel miser Geo. I can only imagine driving and filling an 'average' V6 family car.

Is it just me, or are gasoline price fluctuations between winter/summer getting more dramatic now than say 5-10 years ago? It sure seems that way to me.

Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 10:46 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
Oh, and that's just the fuel; the other costs drive it up way further than that!
No freaking kidding.

Here's 2 different vehicle samples indicating what percentage gasoline contributes to owning a vehicle (granted 4x4s will most likely have a much more massive gasoline portion of a chart than these):

Attachment 485 Attachment 487
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2007, 11:30 PM   #14
Registered Member

gas is like $3.5x per gallon. Gas is so expensive here that I drove my dad's accord and my moms civic this weekend to do errands. LOL And I have the most economical car in the family!

My civic could easily get 42mpg tanks. In fact I'm sure it can get more now. Since I have practicly replaced half the stuff under the hood. It got 42mpg when it was messed up, i'm sure it can pull 45mpg now.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:46 AM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Brian D.
Kraig, where in Salisbury did you get it? I drive up to NJ from VA almost every weekend. Sometimes when I'm daring enough to stay on Rt. 13 through Salisbury (instead of taking Rt.50 bypass) I stop at that WAWA, since they're always the cheapest. Then I realized there's a WAWA just north of that one, Still in Salisbury. Bonus is that 4% rebate I get using their WAWA credit card. WoOhoo!!
Old 05-14-2007, 05:30 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
I worked up this hypothetical situation for a thread on gas prices on the local paper website- bear in mind my assumptions are not far-fetched!!! "If you do the math for someone that commutes, say, 160 miles round trip in a full-size 4x4 getting 12mpg to a $13/hr job (not unusual), they burn 13.3 gal/day; at $3.17 (local price today) that's $42.27/day; if they are in the 28% tax bracket (I don't know?) they net $9.36/hr; it takes 4.52 hours to pay the $42.27 to get there and back, or more than half the day!!! Does that make any damn sense? Why do I see more full-size 4x4 commuters than little econo cars?"

Oh, and that's just the fuel; the other costs drive it up way further than that!
It's interesting because the though of getting a more FE car does not enter into the equation. It does not need to be an econobox just something that gets 20-25MPG anything will help. I've been talking a non scientific poll and asking folks at work, lots of trucks and SUV's, if they think about how much it costing and if they thought of ways of conserving and the answer is usually that's just the way it is. They seem interested in the Daewoo, kinda of a conversation piece, with the mods and stuff on it. I've even offer to plug in the SG and give them help with reducing the gas bill and it's like deer in the headlights.

All and all it a pretty good indication to me that conservation is not anywhere near being on the radar yet. If those who it effect the most just accept it then the future does not look to good. The general public has accepted $4.00+ gas. I guess the question is how much of a percentage of your disposable income has to taken up on fuel before you do something about it. Might be a question for another thread if anyone wants to start it. Sorry for going OT.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:02 PM   #17
Registered Member

I think I might pay the cheapest amount for my gas, however, it's not retail pump gas. My buddy owns a junk/scrap yard, and every car that rolls through, he empties it's gas tank into a large holding tank (you'd be surprised the number of cars that come through there with full tanks of gas). Anyway he lets me, and a few other close friends, purchase gas at $1/gallon.
smithenhiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:56 PM   #18
Registered Member

That's a sweet deal smithenhiven!

I've stopped preaching to other people about saving gas long ago. You bought a Hummer? Sweet. Can I get a free ride so I don't have to drive my car and fill it up?

It's so strange though. In 1977, there were huge low-mpg cars everywhere. Then in 1987 there were lots of econoboxes driving around. Why don't we see that same trend with 1997 compared to 2007? What's missing this time around?
Old 05-14-2007, 01:04 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakster View Post
No freaking kidding.

Here's a nice little 9 month sample of what percentage gasoline contributes to owning a vehicle (granted 4x4s will most likely have a much more massive gasoline portion of a chart than this):

Attachment 472
If you sell the vehicle when you get rid of it I guess you can cut some off that initial purchase slice.

Example
$2000 initial purchase
-$1200 Selling call after 2 years

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote