Cheapskate at work - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-15-2007, 10:31 PM   #1
Registered Member

Cheapskate at work

So I have been running on an almost dead battery the last week or two. Had to push start my car while sitting in the road once or twice... You would think once would be enough for me to buy a battery!

I think I will go by the auto parts store tomorrow and pick one up.

Seems every time I go for that 30MPG tank again something gets in the way, today on the way home I hit a massive rain storm and the highway speed crept down to 30 MPH. And of course with my bad battery I needed my engine running for my wipers and headlights. Though even idling it wasn't quite enough, headlights were dim and wipers were a bit slow.

It is pretty awesome still to have my needle straight up at half a tank and have almost clocked 300 miles. I was filling up every 250 miles for a full tank before.

You all have a good Saturday!

I am going to bed so I can get up at 6:30 and enjoy it!

Old 06-16-2007, 06:13 AM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourthbean View Post
So I have been running on an almost dead battery the last week or two. Had to push start my car while sitting in the road once or twice... You would think once would be enough for me to buy a battery!

I think I will go by the auto parts store tomorrow and pick one up.

Seems every time I go for that 30MPG tank again something gets in the way, today on the way home I hit a massive rain storm and the highway speed crept down to 30 MPH. And of course with my bad battery I needed my engine running for my wipers and headlights. Though even idling it wasn't quite enough, headlights were dim and wipers were a bit slow.

It is pretty awesome still to have my needle straight up at half a tank and have almost clocked 300 miles. I was filling up every 250 miles for a full tank before.

You all have a good Saturday!

I am going to bed so I can get up at 6:30 and enjoy it!
I had the same situation as you when I was working the bugs out of the Daewoo-woo. My FE increase with the new battery . Enjoy the day.

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 09:46 AM   #3
Supporting Member

nice job its pretty amazing what your getting with that car. good luck with the 30 mpg mark
Old 06-16-2007, 01:15 PM   #4
Registered Member

I went for it. Now have a brand spankin new battery in my car. Now I can look into the electric fan and not have to worry so much about my battery handling the load.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:22 PM   #5
*shrug*

I think you'll notice a FE increase now that the alternator is not always working to recharge the dead battery.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 01:26 PM   #6
Registered Member

Did you ever think about getting a modern alternator for your car? It will probably be much more efficient than one from the 60's.
repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 06:35 PM   #7
Registered Member

I haven't looked at replacing my generator with an alternator. Not sure how involved it would be to change technologies on that.

I just wish my tanks were more consistent so I could see changes in FE more effectively. Maybe they will level off sometime in the near future.