Check Tire Pressure? Rotate Tires? How Often? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-23-2009, 05:13 PM   #11

I check the air every Sunday.

I rotate and align every oil change, so about 7-9000 miles. I bought a 5 year alignment package when I got my tires, so I'm getting my money's worth. Plus, I work at a tire store so, I get to do the adjustments myself.

Ratman667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:31 PM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
I rotate them when it's convenient on the truck (usually have it on the lift at school every 3-5k miles) it's an old arse pickup and fixing the "problem" involves new springs, shocks, and at least $1000 of other aftermarket parts to redo a 40 year old design.

once a year or so on the cressida for rotation. check every month or so or when it pulls (low-pro run-flats aren't visible when low but 3 tires at 50 psi and 1 at 40 psi is pretty noticeable)

mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:14 PM   #13
Registered Member

I think rotating the tires does need to be done once in a while. There are things that wear tires unevenly that don't have to do with a worn out or misaligned part on the car. The load/weight difference between the front and rear of the car can wear tires differently, and in order to make sure they all wear out at the same time so that you don't have to replace two at one time then the other two later, it's good to rotate. Cornering can also wear the front tires differently than rear tires.
KU40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:05 PM   #14
Registered Member

A big yes to the above post. The fact that many cars require front and rear tires to be pumped to different pressure levels proves that front and rear tires work under different load (and other) conditions. Therefore, it makes sense to rotate them periodically in order to even out the aging of the tires, especially the wearing of the treads. A further reason to rotate is that it is convenient to re-balance the wheels at the same time when the tires are rotated.
As reported somewhere above, I let the dealerships rotate mine for the reasons stated.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:27 PM   #15
Registered Member

Personally I don't check pressure as often as I should but like said the pressure usually doesn't go down much when I check, so I'm probably checking more then enough. If I had an air compressor or something at my home I'd be more likely to do it more.

tire rotation is good, if you do it from the beginning of a tires life. If I was to get a new set of tires I'd be rotating. I don't rotate my tires at all right now. old tires that where never rotated = tire pull
guest001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:49 PM   #16
Registered Member

Firesone has a lifetime alignment for around $130.00.
623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:32 AM   #17
Site Team / Moderator

I bought a Lifetime alignment, shocks, and brakes from Sears about 16 or 17 years ago for my Buick... I've gotten 3 or 4 sets of brakes, about 4 sets of shocks, and countless alignments from them over the years. I don't think Sears sells Lifetime anything anymore.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:35 AM   #18
Registered Member

You and I are the exception.
The Firestone guy told me the average person uses the service a couple times, at most, so they make money.
623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:50 AM   #19
Registered Member

I use tire pressure indicator caps and rotate my tires when I change from winter to summer tires (and vice versa).

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:27 AM   #20
Registered Member

I visually check the tires almost daily but I check them with a gauge about once a month.

I rotate the tires at every oil change (that is every 5,000 miles and about every 5 months). Both my daily drivers are FWD so I always cross the rears when moving them to the front and I leave the fronts on the same side when moving them to the rear.

GasSavers_NovaResource is offline   Reply With Quote