Chevrolet Classic? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-25-2007, 04:31 AM   #1

Chevrolet Classic?

In the past I have owned a 1997 Malibu and a 1998 Cutlass (same car basically) they were even the same color. Both were 3.1L. Most people didn't even realize I had a different car, anyway,

I rarely got a tank below 30mpg with mostly highway driving. My best tank was about 34mpg. Considering these are bigger cars with V6 motors I think that is terrific. My current car a 93 civic DX (auto) is only getting about 36 mpg on the same trips(my daily commute).

Anyway I was thinking about picking up a chevy classic if and when I see one for a bargain. I think they were made in 2004 and 2005, same thing as the first generation malibu, but they were made for fleets/rentals or whatever. They are supposed to come with a 2.2L. Does anyone have any experience or know anything about how these cars do with fuel economy?

dletm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:56 AM   #2
Registered Member

Yeah, you're exactly right, they continued them on for fleets and renamed it to separate it from the next gen Malibu. I'm not entirely sure, but my guess would be that the 2.2L is the Ecotec found in the Saturn Ion/Chevy Cavalier. Problem is the Classic would be a tad heavier, and you can't get them in 5MT as you can with the other two. Low 30's is my stab-in-the dark guess.

Be careful, though. Fleet/Rentals equal people beating the shti out of them and probably a marginal maintenance history. Maybe get it inspected by an 3rd party mechanic if they'll let you before purchase.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:07 AM   #3
Registered Member

yea im never buying a used rental car.. peopel do beat the **** outa em. not to mention overloading them...
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:47 AM   #4

yo jandree, you are local! I'm from chester county. yeah the car would have to be decent for me to take chance on it.
Back in 1988 my parents got an 87 celebrity 4 cyl sedan from one of those AVIS rental car sales places. It had 40K on it when they got it. They had it towed to the junk yard about 8 months ago. It had just turned over 180K. With all the body rust and oil leaks it just wasn't worth putting the money in for inspection. They never had any problems with it other than the normal wear and tear.

They just got lucky on that car probably. for every car like theirs, there is probably 10 others that are junk.
dletm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:25 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to unstable bob
Thumbs up

The 2.2 Ecotec is a great engine. It was built to be GM's "import fighter," and it is a very well designed, pretty efficent engine. I have one in an 03 Cavalier, and I usually average over 30 MPG w/ mine, except when I'm playing "Speed Racer." Take a look at my gas log and you will see my ups and downs w/ it.

www.unstablebobgable.com

1973 AMC AMX: The beauty
1987 Buick T-Type: The beast
2004 Cavalier: The MPG machine
unstable bob is offline   Reply With Quote