Chevy Aveo? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-25-2008, 03:06 AM   #1
Registered Member

Chevy Aveo?

I'm looking for a replacement for my SC2. I just can't stand having only 2 doors and it being so small. I know an Aveo isn't much bigger, but at least it has 4 doors. I've heard many different things about Aveos. Edmunds.com rated it pretty good, but I've also heard they are cheap, rebadged daewoos. I don't know if they are good or not. I've also heard of people getting 35+ mpg and then others claim less then 22. It is the only new car I could afford ATM. Opinions appreciated.

GasSavers_D_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 03:22 AM   #2
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_K View Post
I'm looking for a replacement for my SC2. I just can't stand having only 2 doors and it being so small. I know an Aveo isn't much bigger, but at least it has 4 doors. I've heard many different things about Aveos. Edmunds.com rated it pretty good, but I've also heard they are cheap, rebadged daewoos. I don't know if they are good or not. I've also heard of people getting 35+ mpg and then others claim less then 22. It is the only new car I could afford ATM. Opinions appreciated.
Why not look at a late model used car? I searched on Edmunds.com and the Aveo started at 13,500. I searched Carmax.com for sedans, 2007-2009 in the $12,000 to $14,000 price range. Many cars came up, and among them were several low mileage Ford Focus(es) (Why do people say focuses? Isn't the plural of Focus Foci?) and Chevy Cobalts. There were also a couple of Saturns in the mix, and Kias, but I'm not fond of Kia.

I say buy a 1 or 2 year old used car and let someone else take that first hit of depreciation.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 03:59 AM   #3
Registered Member

for the same money, you could get a yaris. well the same money depending on options.

the aveo is dirt cheap if you get it completely stripped, power nothing and definitely test drive one. they are dogs, no power. the yaris is a better solution. also if you are going to get a new one, check into ordering one, that way you don't pay for unwanted options that cost you money.

also consider the used market. just remember, people think a lot of their good gas mileage cars these days.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:49 AM   #4
Registered Member

I'd buy a Kia Rio before an Aveo. They often have a cash deal on for the stripper, like 9995.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:21 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
I'd buy a Kia Rio before an Aveo. They often have a cash deal on for the stripper, like 9995.
The Hyundai Accent is the same as a Kia Rio. I love mine, but it's a hatchback. Check my numbers in the garage area. I'm getting 40mpg with no mods on the highway.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:24 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
A Cobalt can be had for around the same price and the same fuel economy, with more power and better quality.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:39 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
the aveo is horribly underpowered even for a econobox car. My 90 hp 4 banger pickup has more acceleration when I'm carrying 1000lbs in it. as a whole It just feels like a cheap POS compared to anything else, even more than any hyundai/kia I've ever been in. if it got 50-60 mpg bone-stock like a tercel I could understand people living with the cheapness/lack of power but it doesn't get close and you can't fit jack in it.
mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 12:15 AM   #8
Registered Member

I briefly considered an Aveo, but I was always leaning more towards the Accent. Since I was going to end up with something Korean either way, the Accent won since it felt to be overall a more polished package. The Rio should be similar since they're on the same platforms. You can pick up a 4-door Accent manual now for $12,145 after the $1,000 rebate they're running right now. The Accent is a great car for the money - well built, reliable and decent FE if you drive them right.

Mom has a stripped down Aveo with an automatic, it hasn't been a bad car for what it is. It actually seems quicker off the line than my automatic Accent but runs out of steam sooner. The Aveo had a few nagging issues when new - came off the boat with a bad alternator and several interior bits missing or not installed properly but once those were repaired it's been a decent car for what she needs. The few times she's logged it, it's been low 30's on the highway. A guy at work bought an Aveo when they first came out, it hasn't been terrible in the reliability department and gets in the low 30's for him too. FE, refinement, or quality of workmanship/materials isn't spectacular, the main thing it has going for it is that it's just a cheap set of new wheels.

If you want to stick with Chevy, do check the Cobalt. A friend of mine is getting 37 MPG highway with basic hypermiling tactics, nothing extreme. I believe the XFE comes in 4-door trim too, so you could probably do better than that.

Or there are a lot of good used cars you could look into like what was mentioned... Good luck to you!
Old 07-26-2008, 12:01 PM   #9
Registered Member

My next car will probably be a Cobalt XFE manual sedan, so I am biased towards that. I bought my mom one last winter (non xfe, automatic) and she sees 32-34 mpg mixed driving. They are fairly nice cars for the price.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:01 PM   #10
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
so d k what did you do? i really hope you didnt get the aveo...