Civic STD - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-27-2008, 10:15 AM   #1
Registered Member

Civic STD

I have an 88 civic std. From what i understand, the gear ratios are the same as an HF. I need to know what parts I need to add the crx hf's fifth gear. Iplan to change the diff gear. Will I need to change the shift fork for 5th/R or is it the same as the R fork in the std. I can get a 5sp dx tranny from a pick and pull for spare parts. Will I need to change the sychros or add one? Any responses are greatly appreciated.

seeodywhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:22 PM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeodywhy View Post
I have an 88 civic std. From what i understand, the gear ratios are the same as an HF. I need to know what parts I need to add the crx hf's fifth gear. Iplan to change the diff gear. Will I need to change the shift fork for 5th/R or is it the same as the R fork in the std. I can get a 5sp dx tranny from a pick and pull for spare parts. Will I need to change the sychros or add one? Any responses are greatly appreciated.
you might try searching on honda-tech.com or d-series.org. i do not know personally.

mini-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:41 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini-e View Post
you might try searching on honda-tech.com or d-series.org. i do not know personally.
I have searched extensively and came up with nothing.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:51 PM   #4
Registered Member

For the 5th gear all you would need is the gear on the input shaft and the gear on the counter shaft. Why not just get the whole hf transmission and replace the bearings if necessary?

i dont remember all the gear ratios being the same, i remember the 1st gear ratio being the same on the hf dx and si.
white90crxhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:50 AM   #5
Registered Member

Need to know anything about going into you tranny just pm me and I will try and help you out. I went in my dx tranny to make a hybrid.
civic lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 03:28 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by white90crxhf View Post
Why not just get the whole hf transmission and replace the bearings if necessary?
My thoughts entirely. It is going to be MUCH cheaper AND easier to just get a used HF transmission. After pulling it, spin the input shaft in neutral and all gears (including reverse). If it is smooth and quiet, try running the transmission as-is. Otherwise, take it apart and replace the bearings.
StorminMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 05:40 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StorminMatt View Post
My thoughts entirely. It is going to be MUCH cheaper AND easier to just get a used HF transmission. After pulling it, spin the input shaft in neutral and all gears (including reverse). If it is smooth and quiet, try running the transmission as-is. Otherwise, take it apart and replace the bearings.
I have called every junkyark and came up with nothing even the huge one that has yards in two states. That happens to be why I got the std. The only difference btw the hf and std tranny is the final drive ratio and the std's lack of a fifth gear.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:50 AM   #8
Registered Member

Try here: http://www.car-part.com/

I found an 84 CRX HF transmission for $75, I just had to drive about 4 hours to pick it up...
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 04:36 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
Try here: http://www.car-part.com/

I found an 84 CRX HF transmission for $75, I just had to drive about 4 hours to pick it up...
I did some research and to use an 84 tranny would require new mounts and welding new mount positions on the chassis. I'm not going to pay any body to do my work, I drove to montreal to get the engine for my Z so if any one knows of an hf tranny near batimore let me know. Is it going to be cheaper because of how much the gear costs, if all I need is the gear, or does that include paying someone to do the work.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:38 PM   #10
Registered Member

since your std is a 4spd is the transmission a different size?

I dont think the previous poster ment for You to get an 84 hf transmission. I think he ment for you to use the site.

white90crxhf is offline   Reply With Quote