Civic VX or Metro XFi or ? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2008, 10:19 PM   #1
Registered Member

Civic VX or Metro XFi or ?

Hi, I am looking at getting a beater car that gets the best mileage that I can find, and I'm looking to spend around $1500 or less. What kind of car should I be looking for. I thought that the Metro XFi was the best that I have been able to find, but what do you guys recommend. I see a lot of people here with Civic VX.

I do have the ability to do engine work, so if there are things that can be modified (i.e. polishing heads?) or something similar that makes some cars have the advantage over others, I should be able to handle it.

GasSavers_kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:21 AM   #2
Registered Member

When it comes down to the choice between these two cars, the Civic VX is DEFINITELY the finer of the two. VX mileage has somewhat of an edge. And the VX is more spacious, more powerful, better handling, and better built. BUT, as you can imagine, it is going to cost quite a bit more to buy one than your $1500 budget. For this reason, you are probably going to have to go with the Metro. Alternatively, you can always buy an older model Civic (1988-1991). These can be had quite cheaply. You can then swap in the D15Z1 motor from a VX along with a CRX HF transmission. And you will still have a car that is more livable than a Metro, with the same or better mileage. You might even pay LESS than $1500 for the whole thing in the end.

StorminMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 12:48 PM   #3
Registered Member

How about a crx hf. Is it possible to swap in a D15z1 motor into the 2nd gen crx easily? Would that swap even get much better gas mileage?
Old 05-31-2008, 01:19 PM   #4
Registered Member

IMO the 92-95 Civics have yet to be beat as an all around platform for economy or performance. They are light, roomy, they were available with many creature comforts. I have a CRX HF and appreciate it for what it is, but it not near the car my 93 civic LX is.

friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 01:33 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermit View Post
How about a crx hf. Is it possible to swap in a D15z1 motor into the 2nd gen crx easily? Would that swap even get much better gas mileage?
I've been thinking of doing that swap myself. I don't know if the D15Z1 is any more efficient but my HF's motor is leaking oil badly and probably needs some other parts replaced. You can pick up a low mileage D15Z1 for under $500, so I may go that route.

And to the original posters questions. Without a doubt, get the Civic its a much better car.

opelgt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 01:52 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StorminMatt View Post
You can then swap in the D15Z1 motor from a VX along with a CRX HF transmission.

I thought the CRX HF trans and the d15z1 were not compatible. I'm not 100% on this but I've heard it stated a few times before, so correct me if I'm wrong here.

I also agree with doing the swap. I bought a regular 92 civic LX and bought the JDM equivalent to the d15z1 with a CX trans (same as the VX) and a fed VX computer, and all of this, including the car, was for under $2000. Plus I now have a perfectle good extra drivetrain from a 5th gen civic so I'll be looking for another 5th gen civic with a blown motor, swapping in my engine and trans and then selling it to offset the cost of the whole project. In the end I should be able to sell the "extra" car for about 2k and essentially have a civic with a VX powerplant for only the labor that was involved in the swaps, little to no cash spent when done.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:26 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binary View Post
I thought the CRX HF trans and the d15z1 were not compatible. I'm not 100% on this but I've heard it stated a few times before, so correct me if I'm wrong here.
The D15Z1 transmission is not really compatible with 1988-1991 Civics/CRXs. Well, I guess you can now get the mounts and cable conversion for the use of 1992-1995 transmissions in 1988-1991 cars. But that adds a price tag of a few hundred dollars. However, the VX engine is PERFECTLY compatible with 1988-1991 cable transmissions. So you can save yourself ALOT of money and use a 1988-1991 HF transmission when swapping in a D15Z1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermit View Post
Would that swap even get much better gas mileage?
Given that the VX and HF get about the same mileage, and the VX is a larger, heavier, and less aerodynamic car, I would expect at least a few more MPG from a D15Z1 vs a D15B6. Of course, another benefit is HP: the D15Z1 has about 30 more HP than the D15B6. It also has 7 more ft-lb torque. This should make a D15Z1 CRX a more drivable car than the stock HF.
StorminMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 05:26 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StorminMatt View Post
The D15Z1 transmission is not really compatible with 1988-1991 Civics/CRXs. Well, I guess you can now get the mounts and cable conversion for the use of 1992-1995 transmissions in 1988-1991 cars. But that adds a price tag of a few hundred dollars. However, the VX engine is PERFECTLY compatible with 1988-1991 cable transmissions. So you can save yourself ALOT of money and use a 1988-1991 HF transmission when swapping in a D15Z1.
That's what I wanted to do. Find a CRX, and buy a D15Z1 Engine and ECU. Way I figure, I can get a CRX for $500-$1000, Engine for $500-$600, and ECU for $120. Hopefully this will push me into the 50 mpg.
Old 05-31-2008, 05:30 PM   #9
Registered Member

I'm not really concerned with the size and comforts between the CRX and Civic. I'm really just looking to get the best mileage. I think that a 1700-1800 lb car could be a lot of fun.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:33 PM   #10
Registered Member

Either the CRX or the Metro would be fine. I've got a '91 Metro, been really happy with it (of course, it only cost $200, so I haven't got much into it). If I had found a CRX at the same price first, I'd probably have gotten that instead.

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote