civic vx swap - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-21-2008, 06:44 PM   #1
Registered Member

civic vx swap

i plan on swapping the vx d15z1 engine into my civic coupe. i already have the engine all set, wiring harness, and ecu. the only thing that i am missing is the egr control box. i am having trouble finding the box so my question is, can i still swap in the engine and have it run fine until i find the box in the future, or will the engine run like **** and give me poor gas mileage. anyone with any info would be very much appreciated

Paulie D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:54 PM   #2
Registered Member

Check out the end of this thread (same question). It looks like other Honda EGR control boxes might work).

http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=7086v

Please start a gas log when you finish the conversion- I have always wondered if the Coupe has better aerodynamics than the VX hatchback and I am interested in seeing your results.

GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:24 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
Check out the end of this thread (same question). It looks like other Honda EGR control boxes might work).

http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=7086v

Please start a gas log when you finish the conversion- I have always wondered if the Coupe has better aerodynamics than the VX hatchback and I am interested in seeing your results.
Even the DX hatchback has better aerodynamics than the coupe. On a coupe, the slope of the rear windshield causes the boundary layer to get very thick. The Civic hatchback has a teardrop shape toward the rear and then a factory spoiler for clean separation.

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:00 PM   #4
Registered Member

ya i plan on not getting as good as the hatchback bc of the aerodynamics and extra weight, but i don't like the hatch look so i figured id try this along with a few mods in the future...thanks for the info erik
Paulie D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:00 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspendedhatch View Post
Even the DX hatchback has better aerodynamics than the coupe. On a coupe, the slope of the rear windshield causes the boundary layer to get very thick. The Civic hatchback has a teardrop shape toward the rear and then a factory spoiler for clean separation.
Thanks- that's good to know, I have been looking to buy a coupe because I figured it would get just as good as mileage as a hatchback (I figured that there would be less wake than the hatch). Now I know better.
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:51 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
If you want a coupe (I hate Honda coupes because there's no rear head room), you could install vortex generators.

Here is a ton of great aero articles: http://autospeed.com/cms/search/inde...namics&x=0&y=0

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote