Clogged EGR Valve FE effect? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2008, 05:08 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCoupe View Post

If this makes sense, what intake manifold(s) are completely VX compatible (ei: 92-95 DX/LX non-VTEC 1.5L D15B7 or the EX D16z6 ?
ONLY the VX manifold will work 100% with the 92-95 VX motor.

It's the only 92-95 civic with an EGR Valve.

My motor has about 150k on it, and I've never cleaned out the EGR ports.. Something I might worry about once I get another car. I think it's the reason I can't seem to get the same highway MPG as some other VX owners on this site.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 11:17 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danronian
ONLY the VX manifold will work 100% with the 92-95 VX motor.
Thank you for making that clear. Sort of wipes out a big chunk of the salvage yards around here, they're aren't any VX's to be found..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danronian View Post
I think it's the reason I can't seem to get the same highway MPG as some other VX owners on this site.
My thinking as well, though I'm suspicious of the 5-wire o2 that now has ~100k on it per owner records. Have a new one of those coming.

SCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 11:35 PM   #13
Registered Member

Wikipedia states at the end of the article that disabling the EGR "may cause the EGR passages in the cylinder head and intake manifold to become blocked with carbon deposits, necessitating extensive engine disassembly for cleaning". Sounds quite awful.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EGR

skale7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:38 AM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
http://www.car-part.com lists 14 junkyards that will ship a VX intake manifold, with the lowest price being $44.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:32 AM   #15
Registered Member

my 1994 Honda Accord had clogged EGR ports. It ran like crap, and then I checked the plugs, they were turning white. Lean is BAD, so I took it in. they cleaned them, replacing no parts, and I was on my way with a back to great running car...
Old 09-28-2008, 09:17 AM   #16
Registered Member

IMHO, I'd pull the EGR and look at it...if it is clogged, you probably need a new valve. Check the manifold passages...clean if necessary. Check your vacuum line to the EGR while you are at it...should be a vacuum signal when you goose the engine after it is warmed up.

I grew up in LA in the '60s, before EGR, Catalytic converters, etc. I have seen first-hand (first-lung?) the effects of photochemical smog...stinging eyes, brown haze everywhere...not seeing hills a mile away, literally fighting to get a breath after being outside playing for a few minutes. I grew up hearing all the reasons why pollution control devices were the end of the world. And the early implementation of such devices was pretty crude, and did take a toll on the performance of early '70s cars. But progress has been made, cars go faster than ever (and get better mileage in the process, aside from the monster SUVs and huge pickups) and the air in LA is noticeably cleaner than it was 40 years ago, even with a lot more cars now than then.

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:05 PM   #17
Registered Member

Are any of you so good at this that you can tell from this picture if this is the right manifold for the 92-95 VX. I only know that it is from a 92-95 Civic 1.5 vtec, is that by default the VX?
Attached Images

Old 09-30-2008, 05:14 AM   #18
Registered Member

If I recall correctly, there was a regular (performance) vtec and the vx was a VTEC-E
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:26 AM   #19
Registered Member

Is this a '92-95 VX vtec-e intake?

Old 09-30-2008, 07:53 AM   #20
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCoupe View Post
Are any of you so good at this that you can tell from this picture if this is the right manifold for the 92-95 VX. I only know that it is from a 92-95 Civic 1.5 vtec, is that by default the VX?
That is indeed a VX intake manifold. I can see the EGR mount and passages on it along with the smaller runner size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
If I recall correctly, there was a regular (performance) vtec and the vx was a VTEC-E
The D16Z6 (VTEC) found in the Si was a 1.6L engine, the D15Z1 (VTEC-E) found in the VX was a 1.5L engine.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote