cold weather = lower mpg's?? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2006, 06:34 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
じてんしゃをいりませんでしたよ。
The [ji] [te] it is the plain gauze it did not need?

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 06:45 AM   #12
*shrug*

jitensha o irimasen de****a

Bike [object marker] didn't have.

I didn't have a bike.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 07:54 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argylesocks
wow. awesome article mpgmetro!

glad im not alone.. maybe i should stop measuring my mpg's until it gets warmer! seeing 'only' 38mpg was depressing ;(
don't stop. just have to do what you can under the conditions.

LxMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:32 PM   #14

Block or pan heater and an enclosed garage is looking like it is in the cards more and more.
ketel0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 01:15 PM   #15
Registered Member

I seem to be doing okay so far, but it hasn't really gotten cold here yet.

Luckily I park in my garage over night, so I don't have to let the car warm up that much in the mornings. But my car does idle a little higher when it's cold out side, I think it's set at like 850RPMs or so when it's cold out and 750RPMs when it's warm.

It is starting to stay dark longer though, which means I am using my head lights in the morning and often on the way home from work as well.

So far I haven't seen a real drop in MPG, my tanks seem to vary a few MPGs anyways.
LincolnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 02:10 PM   #16
Supporting Member

argylesocks -

Quote:
wow. awesome article mpgmetro!

glad im not alone.. maybe i should stop measuring my mpg's until it gets warmer! seeing 'only' 38mpg was depressing ;(
After I have a good run I go to weather.com to find out the overall temperature and humidity I was driving in. That way, I will have different "bests" for different weather.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 02:36 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83
argylesocks -

That way, I will have different "bests" for different weather.

CarloSW2
good idea, everyone's milegae is gonna take ahit in teh cold weathew3r so you have to keep track of the good tank and the not so good ones. just think now: those other drivers around you are probly not getting as good a mileage as we can casue we know and can work to keep it up there no matter what the conditions.

LxMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 03:26 PM   #18
Registered Member

The only problem with thinking about that is realizing that 90% of the other drivers dont care about their FE. I swear drivers as a whole are getting more and more impatient. If Im accelerating just a little bit slower than the car behind me, I WILL get passed. Even though sometimes when I reach terminal speed I overtake them anyway
Old 10-25-2006, 03:38 PM   #19
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Quote:
how many other people are getting a lower FE lately?

i was consistantly 41-44mpg in august/september...
now im down to 38-39mpg.. i put synthetic in last tank... and i just fueled up the morning & got 40mpg. is this (or worse) what i should expect all winter?

not that im complaining... my gas bill is sooooo much lower than last year this time so far this month i have spent $107 on gas. and that includes travelling to races in Vt. Maine, Ct. Mass, etc... typically once or twice per weekend... last year this time it was more like $300!!!!
MAN it was a few years ago that I was spending $120 for the entire YEAR for gas in my Geo. You have a Yaris - you better start working on your mileage, I am beating you with my xB for gosh sakes! You are gonna make me look bad for recommending a Yaris to my friends if you can't get better than I am.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 03:38 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo
MAN it was a few years ago that I was spending $120 for the entire YEAR for gas in my Geo. You have a Yaris - you better start working on your mileage, I am beating you with my xB for gosh sakes! You are gonna make me look bad for recommending a Yaris to my friends if you can't get better than I am.
ouch! (hanging my head in shame) im trying... im trying. seriously, i NEVER drive over 60mph on the highway... and i coast in neutral down every hill. i accelerate like an old woman. everyone at work makes fun of me, because they pass me on the highway & im practically in the breakdown lane, im going so slow.

well, i cant see how spending $120/yr is possible. At bare minimum, i would spend $10/wk on gas just to get to work. you gotta remember that last week, i drove to N. Gloucester, Maine & back on BOTH sat & sunday for races (2.5hrs each way)... the week before that, i was in Burlington, Vt. This weekend i was in the bottom of Ct. so from from September to December, i race alot, and therefore drive ALOT. Trust me, im stoked if my bill is 'only' $120/mnth.