Confucius say EOC inevitable - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-13-2008, 04:39 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Wink Confucius say EOC inevitable

Confucius say, man who use divine bovine for username, cannot resist EOC and bump start.

I've decided to go ahead and enjoy. I get a few >1 mile glides daily, might as well not idle. I'm going to try to wait because I have a baseline and I want to test aero mods while I've got a good baseline.

People who EOC: How long should your glide prediction be before you'll decide to EOC?

Old 06-13-2008, 04:44 PM   #2
Registered Member

I do it when I can coast 1/4 mile or more. I'll do it on shorter hills if there is a traffic light at the bottom and the light is red.

GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:55 PM   #3
Registered Member

I do it at every chance i get. I don't try to guess how far i can get. Going home i can eoc for 1 mile making 1 long run(40mph)right turn(25 mph) left turn(15mph) to a stop sign. On the freeway i went 1 1/2 miles, but short, medium, or long is ok with me. The best though is eoc with drafting!
1cheap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:46 PM   #4
DRW
Registered Member

I keep forgetting to look at the odometer, so when I come across an eoc opporitunity I like to count. I found it's worthwhile if I can coast for 20 seconds, which is also about 1/4 mile at freeway speeds. Coasting 1/4 mile at city speeds takes longer, but it's still worth it if the engine can remain off for 20 seconds or more.

I remember reading a thread that discussed how much fuel is used when starting an engine vs. how much is used to keep it idling, and the research showed the break even point was 7 seconds. In other words, idling for 7 seconds uses the same ammount of fuel as key starting the motor. Of course this varies from car to car, with older cars being worse. EOC for 7 seconds is the break even point, anything longer saves gas.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:43 PM   #5

I want to EOC stupid grand prix auto that can't.... although, I did draft a VW this afternoon on my road bicycle. I managed at least 35mph, possibly 40mph for a short stretch. I know this cause the limit is 45mph, and cars weren't passing me very fast.

need to update my gaslog. Managed about 1mpg better with all intown driving by using neutral glides everywhere. not alot, but its something.
almightybmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 03:26 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW View Post
I remember reading a thread that discussed how much fuel is used when starting an engine vs. how much is used to keep it idling
Actually, since I'm bump-starting, I suspect that it doesn't use more gas like electric starting does. Would that be correct?
Old 06-14-2008, 05:01 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Actually, since I'm bump-starting, I suspect that it doesn't use more gas like electric starting does. Would that be correct?
I agree with you- if the key is just in the on position when you bump start, the ECU shouldn't use the extra rich fuel map that is triggered by the key going to the "start" position.
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:02 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Good point. It doesn't seem right that you would have to glide for 7+ seconds to see a gain. Any time with the engine off is a gain, and bump starting doesn't seem like it would use any excess fuel.

hybriDatsun350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 02:20 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
People who EOC: How long should your glide prediction be before you'll decide to EOC?
for me it is based on speed. obviously on backroads it is shorter than on the highway, except for when ending a trip. that's when i try to get a long final coast using little or no brake at the end.

i try to get up to at least 35mph to do EOC since a 25mph bump start in 4th gear is the smoothest for me.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 07:07 PM   #10
DRW
Registered Member

Key start vs. bump start? Hmmmm....
Both have advantages and disadvantages. Sorry for the poor organisation, I'm just going to blurt out my thoughts.
Bump start doesn't use startup enrichment, although it does use accelleration enrichment since the engine gains revs quickly. Key start uses startup enrichment, and it adds electrical load on the battery that needs to be replentished by the alternator. A big downside to bump starting is that it steals momentum from the car, so the car will slow down a little. I figure it's better to rob the momentum directly from the car rather than involve the electrical system which has more efficiency losses.

When I bump start I keep forgetting to open the throttle right away, so I get approximately 1/2 seconds worth of engine braking which doesn't help FE. OTOH it's not smooth when the engine kicks in with an open throttle.
Overall,I bump start because it conserves physical energy (I'm lazy!)