Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2013, 08:47 AM   #1
Registered Member

Correct way to check MPG on VX

ok i know the basics of MPG.....However to top off a VX takes some skill
doing at the pump is not the way since all fuel pumps not the same
some I can trickle the fuel and some I cannot. the only way I get a true Top off on level ground is with small funnel and a a graduated cylinder. which is a pain when you are doing a full tank.
The vx fuel tank Neck holds some fuel and unless you shake car to get air pockets
out your MPG will vary.

when I use the same pump and same fuel stop I get numbers all over the place driving the same daily route,

so just what tactics do you guys to get your numbers

coconut

Coconut Sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
There's no reasonable way to get the kind of single-tank accuracy you're looking for. The best you can do is go to the same pump, facing the same direction, at the same time of day, and stop pumping when it clicks off the first time. This is pretty easy if you have a standard driving routine/commute, maybe not so easy if you don't. It's not good enough to say with a single tank if something is working; you can't depend on any better consistency from traffic, weather, and random other conditions anyway. Topping off, trickling, and shaking out air pockets is only going to make it worse.

Try to be as consistent as possible, but what's most important is keeping a log and seeing a graph over time.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

I agree. I try to go to the same station, pump, and face the same direction. I put the pump on high, and stop when it clicks off, and don't top off. If you're consistent with your procedures, you will be as accurate as possible.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #4
Registered Member

well I have done that also, However sometime after the pump clicks off i can put in a gallon more or 1.75 gallon more to top it off. So my pump does not always click of at same level by these observations.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #5
Site Team / Moderator

I never top off. The whole procedure of topping off is so imprecise. I pump till it clicks off, and I'm done.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:03 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut Sunrise View Post
well I have done that also, However sometime after the pump clicks off i can put in a gallon more or 1.75 gallon more to top it off. So my pump does not always click of at same level by these observations.
Yup, that's how it is. I would attribute that more to the extremely inconsistent nature of topping off than to the moderately inconsistent nature of stopping at the first click.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #7
Registered Member

Maybe not a concern with a VX, but newer cars have evaporative controls on the gas tank. Topping off could damage them.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #8
Registered Member

Anyone ever knocked out the top of the fuel filler restriction ? Unleaded is all we have so its not needed and topping off would be easier. I see no issue with doing this. Get one from the junk yard and adapt it. My TDI wagon has a Vent relief valve that allows topping off.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:47 AM   #9
Site Team

Multi-tank averages.

I remember seeing some kind of "real world horsepower" test several years ago in one of the magazines, where the cars got some insane MPG numbers (I think 31 MPG for a 454 Camaro with huge cam, 1050CFM carb, etc.). But when I read the article, the "real world test loop" was maybe 25 miles and they didn't fill up at the same gas station each time. So in reality, they calculated that this Camaro used slightly less than a gallon on the test loop... Anyone think that is accurate? NOT

When I had a spreadsheet going for my car, I had a column with the MPG per tank, and another column with a 10-tank running average. After running that for a while, I think a 3- to 5-tank running average is most useful (especially since I would "tweak" more than once every 10 tankfuls).

-Bob C.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #10
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut Sunrise View Post
Anyone ever knocked out the top of the fuel filler restriction ? Unleaded is all we have so its not needed and topping off would be easier. I see no issue with doing this. Get one from the junk yard and adapt it. My TDI wagon has a Vent relief valve that allows topping off.
Depends on what state you're in. Here in Virginia, the restrictor is checked for both safety and emissions inspections. If its removed or tampered with, your vehicle will fail, and you will be unable to legally register and operate it on public roads.