Could America Remain All Powerful with Enviro-weenie Cars/Trucks? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2009, 05:39 AM   #1

Could America Remain All Powerful with Enviro-weenie Cars/Trucks?

I was perusing the offerings on another website when it occured to me the editorial comments seem to be pursuing an automotive ideal that would make America surpass Europe in electric, hybrid, and tiny. They appear to approve of new developments in vans, trucks, and semi's, but I always get the feeling they'd like to see them off the highway entirely.

The question I have is, "Given that New World view, do you think America could continue to be the world's main engine of wealth building through it's vibrant entrapenuerial drive if big and powerful vehicles became unobtainable?" Is an unlimited pursuit of MPGs at any cost going to throw cold water on world economies?

I think we're doomed. What do you think?

Mayhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:22 AM   #2
Site Team / Moderator

They can't take my 1 ton GMC van away... We don't drive it much, but when it is needed it saves gas because it can easily haul twice as much as the pickup truck. One trip in the van, or 2 - 3 trips in the full size pickup. Which one uses less fuel? Smaller isn't always better.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:30 AM   #3
Registered Member

I think there will always be a place for large trucks and vans in america. even europe has large vehicles, they just aren't traditionally owned by regular people.

trucks for a business will always have their place too. I also agree with jay, 15 people all driving separate cars achieving 40 mpg sounds good but not as good as all of those people in one van getting 15 mpg. that is when you have to look at miles per gallon per person.

I think that more choices is good. the mandate is for an average of 35.5 mph which is only achieved right now from the smart and hybrids. I would love more choices in the small car world.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:09 AM   #4
Registered Member

America could remain all-stupid and keep rolling the empty guzzlers. For a while anyway.

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

theclencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:34 AM   #5

Every day I see work trucks towing trailers full of machines, materials, concrete forms, parts/pieces. They are loaded to capacity and heading to Do Work. They aren't clean trucks rolling with a single person (which draw the ire of so many), but real work trucks. I see them on farms with a multi-thousand pound bale of hay, towing grain trailers or combine cutters, full of feed or seed. Working trucks with a tough job, doing yeoman's work.

Can weenie trucks do these jobs or will our greatness downsize as did the Europeans? Is that decline linked or merely parallel?
Mayhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:34 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
I don't see the cars we drive effecting much.

I do see excessive government spending and national debt causing countries to start changing to the Euro for their reserve currency making the USD as worthless as a Peso tho. Just because the USD is a fiat currency doesn't mean we can go making up more and more of it all the time without it eventually biting us back.

It hasn't bit us yet, but with the way things are going it will. And it's gonna hurt.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:22 AM   #7
Registered Member

We won't be stuck with weenie trucks for doing real work. The business case for making multiple trips or forgoing the big jobs just isn't there. I'm all for big trucks for big jobs. I'm all against big trucks for solo commuting. What to do about it? I don't know. Appealling to people's sensibilities obviously is a dead end.

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

Old 05-21-2009, 08:26 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
Appealling to people's sensibilities obviously is a dead end.
yup, 'cause you can't fix stupid!
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:31 AM   #9
Registered Member

The way Americans use energy has to change. Doing nothing is not an option.

The people have failed to be proactive regarding wise energy use.

And that, boys and girls, is how we end up with Draconian legislation.

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

Old 05-21-2009, 08:47 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Incredible View Post
The question I have is, "Given that New World view, do you think America could continue to be the world's main engine of wealth building through it's vibrant entrapenuerial drive if big and powerful vehicles became unobtainable?" Is an unlimited pursuit of MPGs at any cost going to throw cold water on world economies?
Just so I understand, are you suggesting that if there are no more "oversize" vehicles, American's will lose the drive to obtain wealth? In other words, do you think that the entrepreneurial spirit is all derived from the motivation to drive "big"?

I would have to disagree, there will always be plenty of other ways to exhibit one's wealth (jewelry, etc.).

-Bob C.