crazy turbo question - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-20-2008, 05:09 PM   #1
Registered Member

crazy turbo question

first of all, I know they are crap but I was wondering, the electric turbo. will this work as a low level turbo for gas mileage. and yes I realize that it is just an electric fan on your intake. I have a V8 truck and at high rpms, it actually requires a larger volume of air than the little fans can put out so it actually acts as a restriction.

I was wondring on these small 4 cyl motors at low rpms, would it create enough boost or pressure to out weigh the electric draw on the battery or alternator to actually make better mpg?

this was just a random thought that I had and I ask because I don't know. I am not promoting these things as they claim that you get unbelievable gains in hp and tq which I know is crap. but what about the mpg side of it. If this idea is way out in left field then please let me know but if it is viable or if someone has actually done it and had good results then I would like to know that too.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 05:20 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Hateful
I don't know anything about turbo and plan to keep it that way: I know it has been discussed here before. Just go under the forums tab and click "Search the Forums". Type in " Turbo" and those threads will come up. I think most responses were against turbo for FE, with a few special exceptions.

Hateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:45 PM   #3
Registered Member

WOW!!!

there seems to be a lot of controversy over the whole turbo thing. I am speaking about the electric turbo that you find on ebay. the concept makes sense. pressurize your intake air for a leaner mix but you are limited by the fan you use. I heard that one only produced 0.75psi, not too impressive. the other factor is that they suck current like nobodys business.

just curious if this electrically forced induction has been discussed.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:13 AM   #4
DRW
Registered Member

What's the point of pressurizing the intake pipe if the throttle plate isn't open all the way? An electric fan won't help at part throttle since the throttle will reduce intake manifold pressure. So it'll simply cause a good deal of electrical drag.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:19 AM   #5
Registered Member

I am not disagreeing with the electrical drag (because it is true), but if the throttle body is open at 1/4 throttle then the TPS will sense that and the amount of air that is going into the engine will be greater because it is pressurized vs not pressurized. in theory, this will trick the computer into not putting in more fuel because of the TPS thus leaning up the mix.

I may be way off base and it may also depend on the oxy sensor as well. that is the reason that I asked the question. because I don't know.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:38 AM   #6
Registered Member

There is no way any electric TURBO will do any more than lighten your wallet. Don't waste your money on snake oil products. Its a electric motor connected to a squirrel cage. I think the original use of these was for boat bilge pumps.
I have owned turbos since 1981 and they hurt your mileage more than they will ever help. It's hard to get top gas mileage out of a turbo-ed engine due to several factors.
1. More air pumped into the cylinder more fuel needed.
2. Produce more heat than a non-turbo-ed motor.
3. To work best you need to lower the compression ratio of the engine.
4. More wear and tear on the drive train and cooling system.

A turbo is used to produce more power from a smaller engine.
The more boost you put into an engine more fuel it uses.

The VW TDI's are prime example where a turbo mated to a diesel engine produces the best of both worlds as they say.

The smart use of a mechanical turbo for fuel economy is on engines of 2.0 liters or smaller.
GasSavers_ALS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:49 AM   #7
Registered Member

I didn't think about wear and tear on the engine components. I have personally never had a turbo engine so all I have is theory and even that is wishy washy so I am relying on the guys that do have turbo experience.

it was more of a curiosity. I guess the old saying is right, you don't get something for nothing. I had a few guys around my workplace to tell me basically the same thing. it is crap and a waste of money.

thanks to both als and drw for the coments. I will stay away from the cheesy fans.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW View Post
What's the point of pressurizing the intake pipe if the throttle plate isn't open all the way?
You would be surprised. I've used forward facing cold air intakes maintain 1-2" of positive pressure on the throttle plate at partial load at highway speeds on 4 cars. All 4 picked up fuel economy. But even a large enough electric fan won't work in this respect because it increases the load on the alternator.
http://autospeed.com/cms/A_109217/article.html
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/airbox.php
dieselbenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 04:49 PM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
another problem: these 'turbos' (which really ought to be called a supercharger) are single speed and the engine isn't. at idle, they'll produce .75 psi, at 1000 rpm .25 psi... by the time the engine can move the car, it's a restriction, not an assist. AND the draw on the alternator
mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:41 PM   #10
Registered Member

Hum, that would be inches of water, you know it takes nearly 28 inches of water to equal 1psi?

I've been thinking up a scheme to hybridise a type of turbine setup, by storing energy in it... but it would only really work on a hugely underpowered car with a carburettor... needs to be something like a geo metro or subaru justy 3 cylinder motor installed in a full size vehicle that has reasonable aerodynamics. Anyone know of a 3 cylinder industrial or otherwise version of any V6 that was installed in any 87 or earlier car? (E-test issues with later cars here)

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote